“Don't stay anywhere else on Nantucket”
Review of White Elephant

White Elephant
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Nantucket
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My sister was celebrating her 65th Birthday. She is from Indiana so I decided to take her to Nantucket overnight, ( my husband and I live on Cape Cod). I made reservations in advance and mentioned that it was my sister's B.day. We were picked up at the Steamship Authority, and it all began there. EVERYONE wished my sister a happy B.day, from start to finish. I was notified the day before our arrival that we we're getting a complimentary upgrade. We had a cottage with living room with a fireplace, den, two king bedrooms, two ful baths, kitchen, dining room, washer / dryer, kitchen, dishwasher and deck. I paid for one room. When we went to our cottage there were three beautiful and deletious cupcakes with a B.day note for Deb. On the bed were two pitchers,
(elephants of course) and a box of chocolates, also with a welcome note. After a fantastic dinner on the patio, complimentary Port accompanied the most special B.day cake. I can't tell you everything, or how special they made this trip for my sister and I . I can only finish by saying what a splendid job EVERYONE at The White Elephant did. Thank you for a very special Birthday for my sister. We appreciate everything youmdid for us!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
WhiteElephant1, General Manager at White Elephant, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Carla F;

I am so happy to hear about your trip! Our two bedroom cottages are amazing. Now that the bathrooms are all renovated, they are so nice! I am glad we were able to upgrade you and your sister and that her birthday celebration was such a success!

We hope you make it an annual trip!

There are newer reviews for White Elephant

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Our annual trip to Nantucket could not be better as we returned to The Elephant. We even enjoyed our favorite room from last trip. The property (stunning), rooms (immaculate and well appointed), location (arguably the best of the island), ambiance (causal elegance), etc. are perfection, as usual. I was struck, during this visit, particularly with the service and the staff; which in any hotel, will have great influence on the enjoyment of your stay. Management is top shelf. Kelly played a serious game of "TETRUS" to arrange room assignments to get us back into our favorite room. This is not an easy task, and she gladly made it work for us. She was ever present up front making sure we had everything we needed during our entire stay. Graham was attentive to be sure we were being helped when in the lobby area. Katherine, at the front desk, is a joyous person. When I lost track of a personal item, she went into full search mode, going to every spot and person i had contact with to search. It was as important to her, as it was to me. That was so reassuring! Julianna, also at the front desk, put in extra effort continuously to help with requests. She was so pleasant and her follow up un-failing. Vanessa is also so kind and efficient as she helped me with business office tasks and communications behind the desk. The staff that always makes you feel welcome and do the 'heavy lifting' are outstanding. LeRoy and Charlie hold your door and take you wherever you want to go...their smiles and "Can i help you?" attention is fantastic and so welcoming. Ann and Lou at the concierge desk are truly pro's and experts on the island. They are your island resources and they tailor their recommendations to each guest's preference. Finally, the SPA on property is wonderful. i enjoyed a massage from Kathy. She is an excellent therapist and is obviously well trained. Her body work and manner left me seeking more; but book ahead, as appointments are hard to get as the work is so good! Don't miss Brandt Point Grille or Room Service. Ask to be seated with Tricana in the grill, and look for Tino in the dining room. Both are outstanding and work to please and ensure enjoyment. We can not wait to return next year!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Tina S;

Thank you so very much for posting your reply. I am glad you enjoyed everyone you interacted with! I consider myself very lucky to be working with such a wonderful group of people. Kelly spends much time working out room assignments to meet as many requests as we possibly can. If something is very important to our guests, we always want to know! I am glad it all worked out and we too are looking forward to your next visit!

SIncerely,

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I recently stayed at The White Elephant Hotel in Nantucket and had a wonderful experience. The room was superior and so were the grounds. Having a delicious Sunday brunch upon arrival and looking at the sailboats in the harbor was the ultimate summer experience. Weather was warm but not humid and it was comfortable sitting outside. Something I can't often do at home in VA. The location of this hotel was great, a 7 minute walk into town. A few highlights of our stay was eating at Toppers Restaurant and experiencing Jetties Beach and having lunch there. Don't miss their great pizza-one of the best I've had. All in all we had a memorable stay in Nantucket!

Room Tip: Be sure to choose a room with a deck or terrace and choose one away from the restaurant/lounge.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear rdgrecoveryteacher;

Thank you for your lovely review. The weather here has gotten better and better as the summer progresses. We are so appreciative of the ocean effect this time of year, especially when we hear about the heatwaves on the mainland! We are always a good 10-15 degrees below that with cooler temperatures at night. It is so nice!

The sunday brunch is amazing. The smell of those Waffles..... mmmm.

I am glad you had fun and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 7, 2013

If you are looking for a holiday hotel culture that is, and is designed to provide, an Elegant, Casual, Welcoming, Comfortable and Efficient guest experience in every respect, The White Elephant is the place for you. The hotel is located on the west side of beautiful Nantucket Harbor and is a 5 minute walk from the center of town. The facilities are excellent and are maintained to a very high standard. Port, tea and cheese at four each day is a delightful touch. The dining and food preparation is excellent. Try the lobster bloody mary for a luncheon snack if you're not out and about.

I cannot say enough about the entire staff and how comfortable and at home they made us feel everywhere in the hotel. The staff is hand picked and trained to celebrate your being there and provide gracious, warm, "bespoke" service. At how many fine hotels are you greeted by name when you arrive, dine or need to have something done. They cannot do enough for you.

A shout out is needed for Graeme Saunders, a hotel manager and Miguel the restaurant manager, real pros who walk the talk, live The White Elephant Culture and set the standard high for the staff making guests hate to leave and can't wait to get back. A shout out is also in order for our memorable and gracious wait staff: Ramone, Miguel, Leroy, Clovett, Garfield, and Sara (Im sure I missed a few). They are all enjoyable, caring, efficient, employees that want you to have a wonderful time.

We arrive in early June each year for a week and cannot wait for each June to roll around. I've been coming to Nantucket for 57 years and honeymooned here so have sand in my shoes. Get some in yours!

Room Tip: The suites are quiet, well appointed, clean, extremely comfortable. For harbor views, ask for the su...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
WhiteElephant1, General Manager at White Elephant, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear david e;

What a lovely review! Everyone here sends their regards. It sounds like you had a wonderful rapport with eveyone. We are very lucky not only to have a wonderful team, but also a great location right on the harbor and a short distance from town on one side and the Brant Point Lighthouse on the other.

I am glad you tried the Lobster Bloody Mary. That is a home run. We actually were lucky enough to do a segment on the TODAY show a few seasons ago and we featured it! Such a hit.

Come and visit again soon!

SIncerely,

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We are your typical workaholics; we needed this vacation so badly and the reason it was so brilliant was because we stayed at White Elephant.
I find it hard to believe people stay anywhere else when they come to this gorgeous island.

First off it has to be said- the entire staff is AMAZING!
Thee most genuine, sweet, hard working, knowledgable, helpful, professionals we have ever met on a vacation. I would tell anyone to stay here just so they could meet the staff.

The red carpet was rolled out for us from the very beginning when Merrick/Marick??(apologies) was there to meet us off the ferry with a smile and the car. Bartick??(apologies) who took our bags, showed us around the property and helped us into our room.
C/KATHERINE!!! and JULIANNA?(apologies)!! at front desk are -thee best, most efficient check in/out and wonderful front desk staff.
these girls went above and beyond-from the movies list, to helping us change a reservation (with Ann's help at concierge), mapping out our beach trips, friendly chit chat in and out and lastly-we forgot our beach bag and julianna legit gave us her personal bag-so if that doesnt scream SERVICE, i dont know what does!!!
LEROY- who was our personal chauffeur :) always with a smile and just the nicest guy to take a ride with to our restaurant dates or boat trips and kept a special eye on us if we needed anything.
Housekeeping staff was awesome, in room dining was great, Brant point grill was fantastic spot to start out our vacay with happy hour-bartenders were very friendly. Also Charles who helped us with a car our last night, and 3 more bellmen who im afraid i cant recall their names who were uber helpful our first and second time checking in(our flight got cancelled and we were able to get back in for one more night thank goodness) 1st guy- young, tall, light eyes-beyond helpful and sweet during our stay- had off thursday and friday; 2 others were brunette, shorter-were there to help us at our second attempt off the island :) i only mention it b/c you will probably meet them upon arrival or departure.
also a very sincere and special thanks to bettina for the welcome note and bubbly :)

bottom line, the facility is just beautiful.
amenities are incredible-spa, workout room, library with cheese and wine/in room dvd rentals with popcorn... i think the only thing that was kind of a bummer was since we werent in the village/residence? we couldnt use the pool- would have been nice but we were so busy hitting the beaches nearby our actual property we didnt care. but it would be nice, no biggie.
location is perfect-just around the corner from town- or rent bikes-- if you wanna hit up beaches far out like sconset and cisco, otherwise they have a car they can take you SOOO NICE!!

we were first timers and wont stay anywhere else when we go back to nantucket
if you are debating a trip and dont know where to stay, and this place has availability- grab it!
we had a trip we will never forget and if you stay here, so will you.

Room Tip: every room is a good room.
2  Thank pamela m

Dear Pamela M;

Thank you!! Wow, you guys really met everyone and did everything! So much for relaxing! I am so glad you had fun and connected so beautifully with the team. To many guests, that is what it is all about. Of course beautiful rooms and a great location is always a plus too!

Don't work too hard and remember to call when you need to get away. While Jetblue is flying from Boston and JFK, we are such a short trip for those workaholics out there!

Sincerley,

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I have been to Nantucket several times and have enjoyed amazing meals at Brant Point Grill, but I have not had the opportunity to stay at the White Elephant until recently. My family and I had the great pleasure of staying in two of the cottages at the White Elephant (3BR and 1BR). I cannot say enough great things. The cottages were quaint, comfortable, and had a "Nantucket feel", but also offered modern amenities and special touches that would satisfy any group. The main hotel and cottages are within walking distance of Brant Point Lighthouse as well as everything in town. I must say though that what really impressed our whole group was how friendly and attentive the staff were. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Cheryl C;

Thank you for a wonderful review. I love the cottages. Unlike the rest of the hotel and the two bedroom cottages, our one and three bedroom cottages capture the true spirit of Nantucket for me. While they are bright and cheerful, they are historic buildings and each has their own style and quirky authenticity. Fun. I am so glad your family enjoyed everything so much.

Please come and see us again!

General Manger

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We just checked out of the hotel after lunch. We enjoyed our stay very much.
The hotel is very clean and satisfied all of our needs. It was most enjoyable.
Today we had the fried Ipswich Clams with clam chowder and they were both delicious!
Trishana our server made sure we enjoyed our meal and left on time for our flight back to NY.
I am in my seat now.
Have a great summer!

Room Tip: Harbor view

Dear Valerie K;

Thank you for your nice review! I love the Nantucket Lunchbox at the Brant Point Grill! (The dish that combines the Clams and chowder, for the readers that have not tried either yet!) It is one of our most popular for a great reason: Chef makes the chowder from scratch daily and it is so delicious.
I hope NY is treating you well and you are staying cool!

SIncerley,