“You'll feel like a king or queen”
Review of The Wauwinet

The Wauwinet
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Nantucket
Boston, Massachusetts
“You'll feel like a king or queen”
Reviewed June 3, 2010

This magical retreat at the tip of Nantuckets Great Point is an oasis of peace and beauty. My girlfriend and I arrived for check in and were received with welcoming smiles and familiar hellos (they new both our names when we walked in, how did they know that). We were showed to our room,, as we walked through museum like hallways. When we arrived to our room we were showed all the amenities and were instructed on how everything worked. The room had views of the harbor and was extremely peaceful and quite. The bed was THE MOST comfortable and sleepy bed my girlfriend and I have ever slept in. We also had an amazing Dinner at Toppers (the restaurant on the premise). Once again the service and smiles greeted us as we stepped out our door. We enjoyed a maigical dinner in a dream like atmosphere. One we both will never forget.
I strongly encourage anyone who is considering a trip to Nantucket, to make The Wauwinet Inn the essential place for you to call home during your stay!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Wayzata, Minnesota
Reviewed September 18, 2009

We spent our fifteenth wedding anniversary at the Wauwinet this week. Nantucket is a long way from a safari in Africa but it certainly met my expectations of relaxation and time with the woman I love! I had heard about the hotel from clients that my company had sent there over the years. The property is located on a remote NE corner of the island away from any air, road, or boat traffic/noise. The building looks like all others on Nantucket. It has grey shingles and a nice lawn! We stayed in room 211. The best service aspect was the concierge desk which was basically Caitlyn and Margaret. They knew everything about the Island. Whenever I was in town I called them on my cell phone and found out about the best restaurants for steamed lobster, coffee shops, etc. The second best aspect was Toppers restaurant in the hotel. We had 2 of 3 dinners on property. The menu was excellent, reasonable ($150 for dinner and wine), and the service was good. Jonathan told us all about his hike on the Appalachian Trail.

We got to the Island by flying to Boston. We spent the first night with friends from our submarine days in Norfolk, MA. They dropped us at Providence airport (PVD) on Monday and we took Cape Air to the Island (ACK). The flight was $210 per person round trip and took 23 minutes. I booked on the internet two days before we left although I could have booked it in our office with one of our agents. A rental car was $210 per day from Logan so we decided this plane was the best option versus leaving the car at Hyannis and taking a ferry. It helped we had friends in town.

On day one, we checked-in, relaxed, and ate dinner.

On day 2, we rode bikes to Siasconset. The ride was 6.3 miles with (we measured by car later that day). It was gentle hills and 4.3 miles was on a bike path. 2.0 miles was on road with very few cars. There is not much in Siasconset for retail and dining but we knew this before we went. There is a great East facing beach with plenty of good sand and very few people. There are three restaurants but one, Summer House, had closed for the season. The others had simple menus. I was chased for about 100m by Turkey Buzzard on the bike path to town! They actually scared me a bit. After the ride back home (another 6.3), we rented a Jeep for 24 hours ($120). We used the car for several trips to town and to get to dinner. Dinner this night was at LaLanguedoc as recommend by Caitlyn. Food was great and total cost with three (2 & 1) glasses of house cab was $120.

On day 3 we rode the Jeep bake into town. Kay shopped and I read the Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and several issues of the Economist at a coffee shop. This is my favorite alone time activity. We met-up and went to lunch at the Rope Walk as recommended by Caitlyn. Two lobsters and some drinks were $100 with tip (1.25 and 1.75 pounds). We spent the rest of the day relaxing on property.

Day 4 we ate breakfast, went back to town, and went home. Dinner and many naps at the hotel.

The property met my expectations as Relais & Chateau. The service and physical property exceeded my expectations. My basis of comparison for Relais & Chateau is Londolozi and Le Quartier Francais.

The check-in, bell desk, restaurant, internet, lounge, and common areas were all great. The only problem was with our room. The bathroom door would not shut and the shower doors would not shut without great effort. I attribute this to the walls slightly moving together and the problem can be corrected this winter. The South facing window would not open past 1 inch. The AC unit was out of style for the type of room. It was the same type of junky and clunky looking unit you find at Holiday Inns. The temperature selector knob did not work properly. The unit also made screeching noises periodically when the compressor was running. It certainly needed service. I would assess the compressor bearings are about the fail. Luckily, it was cool enough so we simply turned it off at night. This was a bit complicated because we were right below an ally. On both nights, guests would sneak out and smoke in the alley. The entire property was smoke free but each night a guest was smoking below our window and it was sucked into our room by the sea breeze. It was the 40ish year old guy with a goatee! Anyway – I never complained to management or gave them any opportunity to fix the problems so I am not complaining too loudly. The carpet in the room was definitely worn out after a summer of 100% occupancy. The bed was EXCELLENT and the eight pillow selection was great. Towels were cool and everything else worked in the room.

Overall – 5 star and we would go back and recommend to friends.

Do not go to this property if you don’t like your spouse/partner. Unusual for me, I did not meet a single other guest and spent all my time alone or with Kay. This is what I wanted but I usually go through 20-30 business cards on a four day trip! I didn’t bring any or need any!

Craig

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank safari_craig
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 29, 2009

Stay: Aug 23-28 2009

Beach: (Grade - B+)
2 Beaches, one on nantucket bay (mainly for sailing) and atlantic (for sunbathing). Both of them are nearly private.

Facility: (Grade - A)
Rooms are nicely appointed with a comfortable bed, small ceiling fan and LCD TV/DVD Player.

Facility is well maintained. Lawns chairs facing the bay is great. Perfect for Rest and Relaxation.

Internet nook for the web-addicted guests.

Loved the no cell phone on public spaces policy.

Food: (Grade - A)
We had a few meals (both dinner and launch) at Topper's which was excellent.
Dinner: $87 3 course pre-fix. Must try: Spicy tuna roll, Beef wellington, Sorbet
Lunch : Must try: Tomato soup, fried chicken, Onion rings
Breakfast: We had it in our room and it really was fit for a king.

Activity/Entertainment: (Grade - B+)
Biking, sailing etc. are available for the willing. Or for the rest inclined: DVD/Library

Crowd:
Mainly couples of about 60% over 50, 40% between 30-50.

Service: (Grade - A)
Very helpful, willing to please, always smiling and always wanting to help. Attentive without being intrusive.
Concierge will take care of all the planning for you.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sheerfun
New Jersey
Reviewed July 29, 2009

The Wauwinet is a very special place. My wife and I have stayed in three different rooms, 211, the well regarded 302, and 303. Our favorite was 303 with a view of both the harbor and the ocean. There are some very important things to keep in mind before you make a visit to the Wauwinet. This is an Inn. That means small rooms, no pool, no gym, or other services one would find at a hotel. Be prepared to keep some of your clothing in your suitcase as drawer/closet space is very limited. The water pressure in the showers is not great, and the a/c wall units rumble throughout the night. The staff is very young, but incredibly well trained and accomplished. They responded exceptionally well to every request. Our concierge even gave us a ride into town in her own vehicle when she realized she had forgotten to call a cab for us at a time we had requested. The food at Topper's restaurant is exceptional. I recommend the Great Point Lighthouse Tour, and taking the bike ride into Sconset (10 mile round trip). They don't nickle and dime you at the Wauwinet. The bikes are complimentary as is the jittney service into town and back again. The spa is simple, yet the treatments were top notch. We will be back!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Laguna Beach
Reviewed July 25, 2009

The expensive inn (600-800 a night) is very nice and has beautiful amenities and a nice location. The rooms were small but had very nice beds and nice decor. The inn staff was helpful and polite but was not always aware and faulted on several occasions. Our breakfast was half an hour late and when we pointed this out with a few other mishaps the managing staff was oblivious to the mistakes made and were on the defense and were condescending at points. The other guests were nice and friendly but some were very stuffy. We ate at the Toppers restaurant and had an expensive but delicious meal. The lobster and Striper Bass was incredible and very nicely done.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Paris25
Ireland
Reviewed July 7, 2009

The Wauwinet is absolutely gorgeous - staff are helpful and friendly, absolutely no stone left unturned in making guests feel welcome and at home. We stayed here for two nights as part of our honeymoon and thoroughly enjoyed every minute.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 2, 2009

I'm writing a review because I had an amazing stay there last summer and plan to go back... and just read some of the negative reviews that stunned me. This is a beautiful property and amazing hotel and restaurant. I took 100 pictures at the hotel alone... all postcards. That said, yes, it is remote--which IS a plus for many people. Any you are on both the harbor beach AND the Ocean beach. The hotel shuttle takes you in to town whenever you want, but it's 15 minutes away. It's an amazing place to relax, but the rooms are more B&B than a Four Seasons Suite. We had a cottage in the back that had it's own entrance and porch. Rooms where nice, but a bit small. Most rooms in Nantucket are smallish. The weather on Nantucket will definitely impact your stay... this is true with any vacation spot. The town of Nantucket is a slice of history and a snapshot of yesteryear--that is why you go. The Wauwinet is first-class living in that era. So, you know what to expect if you have been to Nantucket. Our cottage room was over $1000 per night, but you are paying for the property more than the room itself. Also, there is a boat that takes people to and from the Wauwinet and town that was AMAZING for a sunset cruise to dinner. I suppose this place is not for everyone, but if you like what you hear about Nantucket--this place is amazing. I rate this place highly on service--they took care of everything and location--remote, but amazing. Rooms are smallish, so do your homework on the size if your room before you reserve. My only lower mark was value... It's hard to call anything a "value" at $1000 per night... but we would save up to go back sometime. Nantucket is like leaving the country and the Wauwinet is no different. If you can't stay there--be sure to eat a lunch outside or dinner inside at Toppers, it's 5 star.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple