“Great Place to Relax and Unwind”
Review of The Wauwinet

The Wauwinet
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Nantucket
Reviewed August 29, 2009

Stay: Aug 23-28 2009

Beach: (Grade - B+)
2 Beaches, one on nantucket bay (mainly for sailing) and atlantic (for sunbathing). Both of them are nearly private.

Facility: (Grade - A)
Rooms are nicely appointed with a comfortable bed, small ceiling fan and LCD TV/DVD Player.

Facility is well maintained. Lawns chairs facing the bay is great. Perfect for Rest and Relaxation.

Internet nook for the web-addicted guests.

Loved the no cell phone on public spaces policy.

Food: (Grade - A)
We had a few meals (both dinner and launch) at Topper's which was excellent.
Dinner: $87 3 course pre-fix. Must try: Spicy tuna roll, Beef wellington, Sorbet
Lunch : Must try: Tomato soup, fried chicken, Onion rings
Breakfast: We had it in our room and it really was fit for a king.

Activity/Entertainment: (Grade - B+)
Biking, sailing etc. are available for the willing. Or for the rest inclined: DVD/Library

Crowd:
Mainly couples of about 60% over 50, 40% between 30-50.

Service: (Grade - A)
Very helpful, willing to please, always smiling and always wanting to help. Attentive without being intrusive.
Concierge will take care of all the planning for you.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sheerfun

Reviewed July 29, 2009

The Wauwinet is a very special place. My wife and I have stayed in three different rooms, 211, the well regarded 302, and 303. Our favorite was 303 with a view of both the harbor and the ocean. There are some very important things to keep in mind before you make a visit to the Wauwinet. This is an Inn. That means small rooms, no pool, no gym, or other services one would find at a hotel. Be prepared to keep some of your clothing in your suitcase as drawer/closet space is very limited. The water pressure in the showers is not great, and the a/c wall units rumble throughout the night. The staff is very young, but incredibly well trained and accomplished. They responded exceptionally well to every request. Our concierge even gave us a ride into town in her own vehicle when she realized she had forgotten to call a cab for us at a time we had requested. The food at Topper's restaurant is exceptional. I recommend the Great Point Lighthouse Tour, and taking the bike ride into Sconset (10 mile round trip). They don't nickle and dime you at the Wauwinet. The bikes are complimentary as is the jittney service into town and back again. The spa is simple, yet the treatments were top notch. We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2009

The expensive inn (600-800 a night) is very nice and has beautiful amenities and a nice location. The rooms were small but had very nice beds and nice decor. The inn staff was helpful and polite but was not always aware and faulted on several occasions. Our breakfast was half an hour late and when we pointed this out with a few other mishaps the managing staff was oblivious to the mistakes made and were on the defense and were condescending at points. The other guests were nice and friendly but some were very stuffy. We ate at the Toppers restaurant and had an expensive but delicious meal. The lobster and Striper Bass was incredible and very nicely done.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank Paris25
Reviewed July 7, 2009

The Wauwinet is absolutely gorgeous - staff are helpful and friendly, absolutely no stone left unturned in making guests feel welcome and at home. We stayed here for two nights as part of our honeymoon and thoroughly enjoyed every minute.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2009

I'm writing a review because I had an amazing stay there last summer and plan to go back... and just read some of the negative reviews that stunned me. This is a beautiful property and amazing hotel and restaurant. I took 100 pictures at the hotel alone... all postcards. That said, yes, it is remote--which IS a plus for many people. Any you are on both the harbor beach AND the Ocean beach. The hotel shuttle takes you in to town whenever you want, but it's 15 minutes away. It's an amazing place to relax, but the rooms are more B&B than a Four Seasons Suite. We had a cottage in the back that had it's own entrance and porch. Rooms where nice, but a bit small. Most rooms in Nantucket are smallish. The weather on Nantucket will definitely impact your stay... this is true with any vacation spot. The town of Nantucket is a slice of history and a snapshot of yesteryear--that is why you go. The Wauwinet is first-class living in that era. So, you know what to expect if you have been to Nantucket. Our cottage room was over $1000 per night, but you are paying for the property more than the room itself. Also, there is a boat that takes people to and from the Wauwinet and town that was AMAZING for a sunset cruise to dinner. I suppose this place is not for everyone, but if you like what you hear about Nantucket--this place is amazing. I rate this place highly on service--they took care of everything and location--remote, but amazing. Rooms are smallish, so do your homework on the size if your room before you reserve. My only lower mark was value... It's hard to call anything a "value" at $1000 per night... but we would save up to go back sometime. Nantucket is like leaving the country and the Wauwinet is no different. If you can't stay there--be sure to eat a lunch outside or dinner inside at Toppers, it's 5 star.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2009

My husband and I just came back from a get-away weekend at the Wauwinet. It happened to coincide with the annual wine festival on the island. The weather on Saturday was lovely, couldn't beat it and we did enjoy the fabulous chaises that they provide guests which overlook the bay. A very relaxing afternoon. The next two days were rainy and chilly, so that added to our limited use of the many offerings at the Inn. We enjoy tennis and biking, both of which we were unable to partake in because of the rain. As I had mentioned in my overall review, the room we stayed in was at the top of the stairs on the second floor and had to be the SMALLEST in the Inn. It did overlook the water, which was the only bonus. The bed was amazingly comfortable, but there was nowhere to place your clothes (other than hang-up), so we had to live for three days out of our suitcases. For such an expensive inn, one would expect it to have a chest of drawers for that purpose. The bathroom was also very small, no room for two people. However the staff, especially housekeeping was superb. The guys who provided van service to and from the Inn were very nice and interesting to talk to. The front desk service was also great, very courteous and helpful. The caveat to the staff accoloades is when rating the wait staff. The girl we had waiting on us during lunch on Saturday was spacey and did not bring bread to the table, repour the water we had purchased, or ask if our meal was okay. I had mentioned to her that the chicken on the salad provided was pink and undercooked and she said that she'd tell the chef, but nothing ever came of it. The waiter at dinner that evening had to be flagged down a number of times, he was not attentive at all. The dinner that evening (one choice for all) was very salty and not worth the cost. The expensive bottle of wine we ordered at the behest of the solmolier was okay, but certainly not what I had described when asked what type of wine we enjoy. All in all, the food was average to not very good. The cake they provided at the end of dinner was so dry it wasn't worth eating. Coffee could have been poured from a cheap diner. Very disappointed with the food overall. We gave the food one last shot on Sunday and ordered two beet salads and one crab cake to share. Both were actually very good, but extremely small portions. Make sure you ask about portion size when ordering as each entree I saw was very small.
I have very mixed emotions as to whether I'd spend that kind of money again to go back. Perhaps if the weather had been better we would have enjoyed it more.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank slpioneer
Reviewed October 22, 2008

This Inn was a lot of fun to visit. My husband and I booked the Idylewild Cottage for four nights. The cottage is just a few yards away from the main Inn. Check in was uneventful and we were taken to our suite. It was quite lovely. The living area was large with numerous windows. The furnishings were generous. There were two chairs by the windows and then a whole living room set facing the fireplace and t.v.. The room itself was cramped but still nice. The bed was an eastern king and was one of the most comfotable beds I've ever slept in. The bathroom had a dual sink vanity and a combination shower and tub. There was plenty of counter space and drawers for storage of extra items. The only improvement I'd like to see them make in here is to change out the stained, worn carpet.

The location of the Wauwinet is wonderful, set between the Atlantic ocean and Nantucket sound. We really only had access to Nantucket sound through the hotel, though. But the views were beautiful. The weather was warm enough to take a beverage out to one of the lawn chairs and enjoy the scenery.

The Inn is far from town but their Jitney service will take you there every hour on the half. We took a ride into downtown and found it to be quite charming. There are cobblestone streets and brick sidewalks. Most people were dressed in nautical themes. There were countless reataurants, bars and one of a kind boutiques.

The service here was consistently good and the attitude of the staff was usually very nice. However, the food was a hit or miss. The breakfasts were almost always below average and they often got our orders wrong. Dinner at Toppers was good depending on what you ordered. The lobster was bland and flavorless, served with dry white beans, while the beef wellington was outstanding. The desserts were small and undesireable to us. But they come with the prix fixe menu, so we tried a few. Dry slices of banana on a thin shelf of dry pastry was not my idea of what they call "bananas foster". Anyway, as a whole, the experience in the dining room was pleasant, so we let it pass.

The rooms were kept clean but they do encourage you to use your towels and linen again the next day, so you'll have to put anything you want changed out, on the floor. Also, room service is served only until 9:30 p.m.. Not a big deal for some people but of consequence to others. We were fine with it all.

The spa is new and nice enough. My husband and I received a couple's massgae and my masseuse walked out in the middle of mine for quite a while because she had a migraine. We had to ask but thankfully, the manager comped that massage for us.

One warning about the tub in this cottage. It is very slippery. After the maids cleaned, they kept leaving this blue soapy residue in the tub. My husband almost fell in it and I actually did. I left with a few very bad bruises on my leg, hip, arm and face. I should note that neither of us has ever fallen in a bathtub before! But the front office girl, Emma, was very kind and offered to call their on call doctor, (at our cost), but found that that doctor could not be reached. Her attitude, however, was appreciated.
I do wish they had taken a little more responsibility for the condition of the tub, though.

We really enjoyed the afternoon port and sherry served with crackers and various cheeses. It was a nice way to meet other people or just enjoy the very pretty common living room. We would sit and chat and read one of the many books or magazines they had in that room. It was a nice way to end the afternoon.

All in all, this is a lovely Inn, with gracious service and a beautiful setting. I wouldn't give it five stars but it certainly would be worth a trip back.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank lovegoodhotels