“One of the Most Amazing Hotels/Locations You Will Find”
Review of The Wauwinet

The Wauwinet
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Nantucket
Reviewed June 2, 2009

I'm writing a review because I had an amazing stay there last summer and plan to go back... and just read some of the negative reviews that stunned me. This is a beautiful property and amazing hotel and restaurant. I took 100 pictures at the hotel alone... all postcards. That said, yes, it is remote--which IS a plus for many people. Any you are on both the harbor beach AND the Ocean beach. The hotel shuttle takes you in to town whenever you want, but it's 15 minutes away. It's an amazing place to relax, but the rooms are more B&B than a Four Seasons Suite. We had a cottage in the back that had it's own entrance and porch. Rooms where nice, but a bit small. Most rooms in Nantucket are smallish. The weather on Nantucket will definitely impact your stay... this is true with any vacation spot. The town of Nantucket is a slice of history and a snapshot of yesteryear--that is why you go. The Wauwinet is first-class living in that era. So, you know what to expect if you have been to Nantucket. Our cottage room was over $1000 per night, but you are paying for the property more than the room itself. Also, there is a boat that takes people to and from the Wauwinet and town that was AMAZING for a sunset cruise to dinner. I suppose this place is not for everyone, but if you like what you hear about Nantucket--this place is amazing. I rate this place highly on service--they took care of everything and location--remote, but amazing. Rooms are smallish, so do your homework on the size if your room before you reserve. My only lower mark was value... It's hard to call anything a "value" at $1000 per night... but we would save up to go back sometime. Nantucket is like leaving the country and the Wauwinet is no different. If you can't stay there--be sure to eat a lunch outside or dinner inside at Toppers, it's 5 star.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 19, 2009

My husband and I just came back from a get-away weekend at the Wauwinet. It happened to coincide with the annual wine festival on the island. The weather on Saturday was lovely, couldn't beat it and we did enjoy the fabulous chaises that they provide guests which overlook the bay. A very relaxing afternoon. The next two days were rainy and chilly, so that added to our limited use of the many offerings at the Inn. We enjoy tennis and biking, both of which we were unable to partake in because of the rain. As I had mentioned in my overall review, the room we stayed in was at the top of the stairs on the second floor and had to be the SMALLEST in the Inn. It did overlook the water, which was the only bonus. The bed was amazingly comfortable, but there was nowhere to place your clothes (other than hang-up), so we had to live for three days out of our suitcases. For such an expensive inn, one would expect it to have a chest of drawers for that purpose. The bathroom was also very small, no room for two people. However the staff, especially housekeeping was superb. The guys who provided van service to and from the Inn were very nice and interesting to talk to. The front desk service was also great, very courteous and helpful. The caveat to the staff accoloades is when rating the wait staff. The girl we had waiting on us during lunch on Saturday was spacey and did not bring bread to the table, repour the water we had purchased, or ask if our meal was okay. I had mentioned to her that the chicken on the salad provided was pink and undercooked and she said that she'd tell the chef, but nothing ever came of it. The waiter at dinner that evening had to be flagged down a number of times, he was not attentive at all. The dinner that evening (one choice for all) was very salty and not worth the cost. The expensive bottle of wine we ordered at the behest of the solmolier was okay, but certainly not what I had described when asked what type of wine we enjoy. All in all, the food was average to not very good. The cake they provided at the end of dinner was so dry it wasn't worth eating. Coffee could have been poured from a cheap diner. Very disappointed with the food overall. We gave the food one last shot on Sunday and ordered two beet salads and one crab cake to share. Both were actually very good, but extremely small portions. Make sure you ask about portion size when ordering as each entree I saw was very small.
I have very mixed emotions as to whether I'd spend that kind of money again to go back. Perhaps if the weather had been better we would have enjoyed it more.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank slpioneer
Reviewed October 22, 2008

This Inn was a lot of fun to visit. My husband and I booked the Idylewild Cottage for four nights. The cottage is just a few yards away from the main Inn. Check in was uneventful and we were taken to our suite. It was quite lovely. The living area was large with numerous windows. The furnishings were generous. There were two chairs by the windows and then a whole living room set facing the fireplace and t.v.. The room itself was cramped but still nice. The bed was an eastern king and was one of the most comfotable beds I've ever slept in. The bathroom had a dual sink vanity and a combination shower and tub. There was plenty of counter space and drawers for storage of extra items. The only improvement I'd like to see them make in here is to change out the stained, worn carpet.

The location of the Wauwinet is wonderful, set between the Atlantic ocean and Nantucket sound. We really only had access to Nantucket sound through the hotel, though. But the views were beautiful. The weather was warm enough to take a beverage out to one of the lawn chairs and enjoy the scenery.

The Inn is far from town but their Jitney service will take you there every hour on the half. We took a ride into downtown and found it to be quite charming. There are cobblestone streets and brick sidewalks. Most people were dressed in nautical themes. There were countless reataurants, bars and one of a kind boutiques.

The service here was consistently good and the attitude of the staff was usually very nice. However, the food was a hit or miss. The breakfasts were almost always below average and they often got our orders wrong. Dinner at Toppers was good depending on what you ordered. The lobster was bland and flavorless, served with dry white beans, while the beef wellington was outstanding. The desserts were small and undesireable to us. But they come with the prix fixe menu, so we tried a few. Dry slices of banana on a thin shelf of dry pastry was not my idea of what they call "bananas foster". Anyway, as a whole, the experience in the dining room was pleasant, so we let it pass.

The rooms were kept clean but they do encourage you to use your towels and linen again the next day, so you'll have to put anything you want changed out, on the floor. Also, room service is served only until 9:30 p.m.. Not a big deal for some people but of consequence to others. We were fine with it all.

The spa is new and nice enough. My husband and I received a couple's massgae and my masseuse walked out in the middle of mine for quite a while because she had a migraine. We had to ask but thankfully, the manager comped that massage for us.

One warning about the tub in this cottage. It is very slippery. After the maids cleaned, they kept leaving this blue soapy residue in the tub. My husband almost fell in it and I actually did. I left with a few very bad bruises on my leg, hip, arm and face. I should note that neither of us has ever fallen in a bathtub before! But the front office girl, Emma, was very kind and offered to call their on call doctor, (at our cost), but found that that doctor could not be reached. Her attitude, however, was appreciated.
I do wish they had taken a little more responsibility for the condition of the tub, though.

We really enjoyed the afternoon port and sherry served with crackers and various cheeses. It was a nice way to meet other people or just enjoy the very pretty common living room. We would sit and chat and read one of the many books or magazines they had in that room. It was a nice way to end the afternoon.

All in all, this is a lovely Inn, with gracious service and a beautiful setting. I wouldn't give it five stars but it certainly would be worth a trip back.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovegoodhotels
Reviewed August 4, 2008

Everything at the Wauwinet is great. The rooms are beautifully decorated, the restaurant is creative and delisious, the staff is attentive and professional. Try and book directly with the hotels website, they offer discount rates on certain dates.

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed July 9, 2008

So The Wauwinet is wonderful -- we love places that feel more like home then they do like a big hotel. They have a wonderful "living room" where you can sit and read, enjoy a cup of tea or a drink and read. The food was exceptional.

If there is a negative, it is isolated. It is on the opposite side of the island from... well, just about everything. If you are looking for peace and quiet, this is the place for you. Go and enjoy. We did.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank cjdyensid
Reviewed November 30, 2007

My girlfriend and I spent a nice weekend getaway at the Wauwinet. It's actually my 1st time to Nantucket as well, and I LOVE the place. I went to Bali over the summer and the place is just filthy, and Nantucket really fulfills my island fantasy again!
Wauwinet has the advantage of locating between the Nantucket Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. The view is gorgeous, and we really enjoyed looking at the ocean on the lawn and walking on the private beach area.
Room is decent sized, we stayed one night at a deluxe bedroom and one night at a cottage, we actually prefer the deluxe bedroom in the main house, just b/c it's closer to the ocean lol
Cottage is nice if you prefer to spend more time in your room than the outside area though. The bed and the Pratesi linen is heaven indeed!
I'm a huge fan of Relais & Chateaux, and had a high expectation for the food at the Wauwinet. But we were actually a bit disappointed, the food is really just ok, nothing exceptional. I am very picky on seafood and my friend is a beef fanatic, and we both think the food is not up to the hype. Dinner lacks selection, and some waiters were not very professional. However, do try the truffled popcorn at the bar, I'd be very happy to have just that for my dinner. However the breakfast in the morning is great, and included in the room rate
We enjoyed the service very much, staffs are very very helpful and very friendly.
Btw, do go on to the lighthouse tour, it's a once in a lifetime experience. O, pass the spa, nothing special and overpriced.
Despite some disappointments, this is indeed a beautiful place, and I'll def. return for a relaxing weekend getaway

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank babygenius
Reviewed October 12, 2007

I've been going to Nantucket for over 20 years. First to work during the summers, then to visit friends (who are locals who grew up on the island) for vacations. This trip, we decided to splurge and stay at The Wauwinet off-season. I'd been there for sunset and drinks but always wondered what it was like to stay at the Inn. We snagged a "Too Good To Be True" $260/night deal and off we went. I felt we got what we paid for since this is without a doubt NOT worth the $750/night + others are paying.
PROS:
- PRATESI LINENS were dreamy
- PORT AND WINE at 4:00, decent port and the usual bland selection of cheese and Carr's crackers, roaring fire in the library was lovely.
- PERSONALIZED STATIONARY - a nice touch despite the obvious office laser printing in bad script font of our names on the front, (although can't think of another good way to do it so quickly)
- SUNSET on the back lawn in a chaise under a complimentary fleece blanket was the stuff of dreams
- COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST at Topper's was AMAZING. service was warm and flawless, food was perfect. Homebaked and warm bread assortment of fig, orange, cranberry scones, pineapple bread, cinnamon and raisin bread was outrageous. Sitting in front of the fire on a rainy day was grand. fresh squeezed orange juice wasn't fresh. bathrooms off the patio (on the way to breakfast) stinked of urine and air freshner.
- EXTENSIVE WINE LIST is perfect for a wine geek (my boyfriend). There are a few hidden deals, some reasonably priced, and the impressive (and expensive) bottles that only a place like this can get their hands on.
- GARDENS were beautiful
- STAFF nothing by courteous, helpful, funny, non-stuffy and sweet. Room service was fast.

CONS:
- SMALLEST ROOM I've ever seen, the decor is dated and a cheap and bad immitation of a "charming and sophisticated European Inn". Espcially considering it's a Relais and Chateaux property.
- BATHROOM WAS TINY - dark and sparce.no cotten balls, q-tips,etc. sink was outside the shower and toilet right next to the bed.
- NO MOVIE CHANELS and the newer DVD's I wanted from their library were out. Ordered the "hot buttered popcorn" that comes with the movies anyway and was disapointed to realize it's microwave.
- CDs IN ROOM WERE SCRATCHED
- STUFFY GUESTS felt like couldn't speak above a wisper during port and cheese. there were the usual idiots with cell phones despite the "no cell phones" signs posted all over the inn.
- BAD DINNER RECOMENDATION- I have to admit, I know the restaurants (having worked at some and eaten at all) so this was a test of the concierge. I wanted something casual and she recomended a new restaurant (since the ones I wanted were booked), said she would make a reservation for 8 pm for 2, got to there and not only was there was no reservation but this was one of the worst meals I've had in a very long time.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple