“Wonderfully romantic honeymoon!”
Review of The Wauwinet

The Wauwinet
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Nantucket
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We stayed at the Wauwinet in October 2010, and when we decided to get married, the Wauwinet was the only choice for us. The concierge made sure our evenings and day time activities were just what we wanted. The hotel staff kept our room lovely, set us up with bicycles and a picnic, and just made us feel very special. The bartenders were really friendly and informative - great recommendations on places to visit. We plan to go back - hopefully for our first honeymoon!

Reviewed July 4, 2012

The most wonderful experience. Exceptional accommodations surrounded by beauty. The manager and staff were so attentive, gracious, friendly and helpful. Our every expectation was exceeded from the moment we arrived to the fine cuisine and enriching excursions. Highly recommend The Wauwinet for an experience to remember. We will cherish the unforgettable memories.

Jan Morris,
Donna Walens
June 2012

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 2, 2012

location. location. location.

if you dont get the simple beauty nature has to offer on this marvelous island then perhaps no place on ACK will be for good enough for you to hang your hat

the wauwinet's staff is so friendly and accomodating it is like staying with relatives. the rooms are quaint and couldnt be more romantic.

my wife and i have stayed here 2 times in the last 2 years for our anniversary and another time because we couldnt wait till our anniversary to come back! we simply love this place!!!. we've been visiting nantucket since 2001 and made the wauwinet our home away from home

i would not change one thing about the inn

ps. cant wait to see james and friends in the fall. we miss your smiling faces and the hot cider

Room Tip: high floor. quaint. cozy and excellent sunrise sunset
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I'm a positive guy so I'll start with what they're doing right. The bed and bedding was A+. Very comfortable setting and slept well. The service is good and the people are friendly....unfortunately, that's about it. We had a superior room on the ground floor that had a patio. Very nice but SMALL. Had trouble finding room for our suitcases and when we had to iron something we were tripping over each other. Not good value for $700+ per night! The main disappointment was the restaurant, Toppers. Not a good name for a restaurant that well, just isn't very good. The pancakes were flat and dense. Aren't pancakes supposed to be light and fluffy? Any chef could see there was a problem but they served them to us anyway. We sent them back. The real problem is dinner. We had several wonderful meals in restaurants downtown for half or 2/3rds the price. Toppers was just awful. The fish was overcooked, mushy and smelled a bit fishy. The short ribs were just ok. I suspect this restaurant is living off its past. I can't imagine anyone giving this more than 2-3 stars for the food quality. The unreasonably high price makes the value received even lower. I WANTED to really like this place, but I didn't, neither did my wife. We'll stay elsewhere when we return. If they get the restaurant fixed AND a better menu (ie, better chef?), then we'd consider coming back.

4  Thank tom34347
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Thank you for sending in your feedback on your recent stay at the Wauwinet. I have received your comment card and would like to thank you for your suggestions. In reading about some of your experiences, we obviously fell short in some areas, while we did well in others. We pride ourselves on service and in giving. Please know that we take such comments seriously, otherwise why ask. I work hard to make sure you get the best possible hospitality experience. Customer feedback fuels my efforts to improve our services. Feel free to send me a message at elandt@niresorts.com I hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again. We apologize for your food and beverage experience all your comments will be passed on to my team so we can improve. We hope to see you soon! Thanks again for your business and it has been a pleasure to be of service. Please feel free to contact me directly!

Fax: 508-325-0657
www.wauwinet.com

Reviewed June 18, 2012 via mobile

We returned to the wauwinet after a 10 year absence eager to experience the natural beauty of The setting and the 5 star service. The natural beauty is unchanged but many issues have evolved over time. The rooms have become severely outdated. In fact my wife just announced "god I hate this room". Our toilet is broken and the room so small there is no place for luggage. Decorated out of some sort of 1980s nightmare. The small tv is difficult to operate...we did meet a great guy from Australia who had to come to the room a couple of times to turn our tv on so I guess that was a plus.

As bad as the room is, the service is worse. A cold receptionist and concierge make sure you feel as unwelcome as possible. Included breakfast is pathetic. There is no acceptable gym.

Of course these problems all should be easy to remedy. Doesn't seem like owners really care.

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank lsmd
Management response:Responded June 30, 2012

Thank you for sending in your feedback on your recent stay on Nantucket. I have to say that I was very distraught to hear that you did not enjoy your visit to Nantucket and The Wauwinet in particular even after a 10 year absence. We do truly care and appreciate any feedback! By the sound of your replies, it seems that we missed the mark on several aspects of your visit including the overall experience in regards to our service. We do pride ourselves in service and giving. We will not make up excuses but we do hope to recover if you let us make it up to you. I also notice that you mentioned one of our team members as offering good service I will pass on the comment as well. I look forward to hearing from you!

Reviewed June 12, 2012

What a disappointment this place is! There is no dispute that the location and views are stunning but the hotel itself is seriously outdated and over rated. As a seasoned traveller of luxury hotels worldwide I have never been more disappointed than at this so called Luxury Inn by The Sea.The decor is all chintzy, old fashioned bedding and dust ruffles and padded head boards. I booked and paid for a deluxe bayview room on the 2nd floor overlooking Nantucket Bay, Not a cheap option.The first room I was shown , room 201 ,was in a hideous green and yellow confection , and had two chairs crammed into the corner of the room, the so called seating area. The bathroom was the size of a cupboard! I requested another room and was so disappointed that I asked to pay for a further upgrade. I was told none was available. I was next shown room 207, this was marginally larger and decorated in blue and cream, still horribly outdated! and again the bathroon was the size of a cupboard! with a shower over a half bath, and crammed next to them a wash basin and toilet.It was a struggle with one person in the bathroom doing their ablutions, let alone trying to get two in the space.Yukky gold taps prevailed.
Breakfasts were a skinny affair, the inclusive continental consisted of sparse fruits, yogurt, boiled eggs , processed ham and cheese , and pastries recycled from the 7.15 tea and coffee reveille! Speaking of which, you served yourself tea and coffee in cardboard cups to take back up to the room!!! At Breakfast the waitress was so dopey that on 3 consecutive days she put water out when I had said no water, she served tea without milk, when I had requested milk and then asked my other half to sign the chit when I was the bill payer!!And service was very slow!!
In the afternoon they serve complimentary port and cheese at 4pm, the port was great but the cheeses were boursin, processed cheddar and a brie style cheese, all of them always arrived clap cold!!!
There is a so called fitness centre, it is a garden shed! a long way from the main hotel with a couple of pieces of equipment in,absolutely awful!
There may be stunning beaches on two sides, but there is no swimming pool, and the beaches are not always suitable to swim, on the Atlantic side the water is rough and there were Jelly fish all over the beach and on the Nantucket sound side there is a nice beach, but the weather needs to be warm.
Good points, free bikes to cycle round the island, free jitney into town.
Good cocktail waiters who were pleasant and knowledgeable.
Unless you must do this, give it a miss, the cost is pretty exhorbitant and I have had so much better for so much less.

Room Tip: If you want old fashioned any will do.
4  Thank LADYRAWDON
Management response:Responded June 30, 2012

Thank you for sending in your feedback on your recent stay at the Wauwinet. I have to say I was very disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your visit to Nantucket and the Wauwinet in particular. By the sounds of your replies, it seems we missed the mark on several aspects of your visit including the overall experience. Thanks for being so honest in your comments about my hotel. Please know that we take such comments seriously and appreciate any and all feedback! I do not make excuses about my hotel operations only hope to recover. The deluxe bay view room that you booked is a category that does have amazing views of the bay facing due west great sunsets! The accommodations at the inn are as unique as the location cozy and welcoming. I apologize that the size of the room and décor were not to your taste. As every room is decorated differently I am confident that we can find a room that will meet your expectations. We also have cottages on the property that have more space sorry that we were not able to offer that as an option at the time.

I think we both agree that the free bikes, free shuttle service, amazing beaches on two sides and knowledgeable beverage staff add to an amazing experience. Please know the next time you visit I will personally do my best to accommodate and meet your expectations with open arms.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

I just got back from a wonderful, relaxing and rejuvenating two night stay at the Wauwinet. It was my first time in Nantucket and I couldn't have asked for a better taste of Nantucket! I am already raving to my friends and family about the Wauwinet and will definitely stay here again.

We were greeted off the ferry by a friendly and helpful Wauwinet staff member. The complimentary shuttle was a godsend and was always so prompt and convenient, and was even stocked with ice cold water! Upon arrival, we were greeted by the most wonderful group of women at the concierge. The women at the concierge were both professional and personable. They were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful and went out of the their way to accommodate us. While we were paying at lunch at Toppers, one of the women at the concierge came and found us to tell us our rooms were ready early! It was such a nice touch to have such a personalized and intimate vacation! They were a wealth of information but were also so friendly and easy to talk to and they gave us inside scoop on Nantucket. Hanif was also so helpful! He showed us to our room and oriented us to all of the wonderful aspects of the Wauwinet and was always by the front door willing to help.

Our room was comfortable and luxurious. We loved the bathrobes and slippers. We also loved how we came home after a night on the town to our beds turned down with classical music playing and the shades drawn. It was such a nice touch that will be hard not have at home. One thing I did not like was that was no mini fridge in the room, but staff was always willing to bring an iced water bottle.

The amenities were what made our stay extra special. We loved the daily port and cheese hour. It was a great way to meet others and the cheese was divine! We enjoyed it out on the great lawn in comfortable lawn chairs. The fresh fruit and lemonade were also a good way to whet the appetite in between meals. The fleece blankets were sooo comfortable and a great way to curl up outside on the lawn chairs when it was cool outside. We also got a kick out of the Hunter rain boots lined up on the deck for guests to use in the rainy weather. Another "little thing" that went a long way to a great stay was the buttered popcorn and movies. They had an array of free rentals that made a rainy night more cozy. The library was beautiful, with a fire crackling all day long to keep us warm.

There was so much to do at the Wauwinet that in nice weather there is no need to go to town during the day and the 9 mile distance from town doesn't seem to matter, as it is it's idyllic and peaceful location is what makes the trip so relaxing. We utilized the complimentary bikes to go on a scenic 5 mile ride to Sconset at the suggestion of our very helpful concierge who gave us highlighted map. It was also just nice to talk a walk on both the bayside and Atlantic side of the ocean. We even saw a seal swimming in the ocean!

The Spa by the Sea was peaceful and quiet. The spa went out of their way accommodate our requests for a certain appointment time. Instead of telling us they weren't available at the time we wanted, they made our request possible in a very short amount of time. We were blown away by how accommodating they were. Upon arrival at the spa we were offered a glass of ice water with a mint leaf in it, and from the minute we entered we felt relaxed and welcomed.

My least favorite part of the Wauwinet experience was Toppers Restaurant. We felt that it was overpriced by an absurd amount (6 dollars for a bagel) and overrated. We loved the continental breakfast that was included in our room rate (and the early risers breakfast in the library was tasty too) but we felt that the staff at Toppers overbearingly tried to push their a la carte menu on us while were dining. The continental breakfast was both filling and delicious. We ate at Toppers once for Sunday brunch which was good, but overpriced. During both breakfast and the brunch we had, the staff constantly tried to "upsell" us into buying more food, and didn't seem to take a hint when we said we were good. Also, be wary as they will offer you things in a way that makes you think they are complimentary but they are not! I think the service and quality of Toppers is embarrassing! Kristen, one of the waitresses, told us about the lunch while we were lounging, and she was very helpful and attentive without being overbearing. We were sad to not be served by her but she was waiting on the outside tables. Overall I would suggest going into town for lunch and dinner because Toppers is not worth the convenience.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends