“Charming little B&B”
Review of Ships Inn

Ships Inn
Ranked #13 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed at the Ships Inn for 3 nights. Mary Lou, the Innkeeper, helped us with our booking prior to our arrival and we were happy to meet her when she greeted us at the door. She is very extremely helpful and patient in recommending us places to eat and visit. The Inn has a long history where it was once a residence of a very famous whaling boat captain. The rooms are charming and decorated in different themes. Most things are functional considering the age of the house (and the location of nantucket island). The only odd thing was that our wash basin is outside of the bathroom.

We were very happy with the location of the Inn, it was literally 1 minute away from the main street. The restaurant in the basement served up some solid new england fare. All in all we have a very good experience at the Ships Inn.

Room Tip: The stairs can be quite steep leading to the 1st and 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelbug852

Reviewed September 27, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the Ships Inn in August of 2012 and were really happy with the Inn. I didn't realize it at the time, but having a restaurant in the Inn allows for a spectacular breakfast! Who wouldn't like hash brown casserol? The Inn Keepers were very kind and friendly but not over bearing. Our room was quite spaceous for a Nantucket Inn and I was told all the rooms are spaceous, a big plus when two people are staying together but not a couple! The decorations of the Inn are sophisticated, not an overwhealming amount of flowers on the walls or bed spreads (which I was happy to see!). This is the Fourth Inn I have stayed at in Nantucket and probably my favorite.

Room Tip: Top Floor room w two double beds has AC and long, narrow, dark bathroom.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank CharStan
Reviewed July 26, 2012

With 8 of us, service and delivery of food were terrific. Waitress was exceptional in her attention and reading when she needed to stop by and when to to. Lobster bisque was terrific as was the tuna special. Duck and and short ribs were excellemnt.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank xx_familyguy_xx
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I had a wonderful two-night stay at the Ships Inn. The inn is a very short walk to town and the perfect spot for easy access to the ferry, shops and restaurants. The proprietors of the inn are gracious and welcoming. We had 3 people stay in a room and it was good sized and tastefully decorated. It also had hotel like amenities including a small frig, iron, blow dryer, cotton balls and shampoo, as well as towels and chairs for the beach. The breakfast was very good and it was a nice selection of pastries, quiche, eggs and yogurt. Coffee is available early in the morning and in the afternoon, homemade cookies, ice tea and lemonade were provided. The Ships Inn is a perfect place to stay on Nantucket. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bostontraveler0
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I loved the Ships Inn. The location was perfect (a 5 minute walk into town) and our room was clean and comfortable. We stayed in the Bedford room which easily could have accommodated 3 people. But probably the best part was the wonderful breakfast that we had in the pretty restaurant downstairs. I had forgotten that breakfast was included. The hot casseroles, muffins, yogurt, fruit, etc were all delicious. There was also coffee first thing in the morning in the upstairs sitting area. Fair Street is a pretty street with attractive houses and beautiful flowers. We had a great vacation on Nantucket!

Room Tip: Bedford and Nantucket rooms are both on the first floor. I was just as glad not to climb the steps w...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 3kidsPa
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I heard about the Ships Inn from our friend of mine who raved about it. I was planning a long weekend with my parents for their 60th wedding anniversary. I needed something close to town because my dad isn't that mobil. I emailed MaryLou about needing the ground floor for them. She was very helpful through the whole process and replied back promptly on any of my questions. Unfortunately, the day before we were suppose to go my dad was hospitalized. MaryLou was very understanding and refund everything but 10% service fee which was very reasonable since it was so late to rent 3 rooms. I hope to get to the Ships Inn one day and meet MaryLou!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank crd1388
Reviewed December 29, 2011

This well-kept historic house was situated in a convenient location, close to the main town centre, but in a quiet street. Our room was airy and clean and refreshingly bright for a historic house! Mary-Lou was friendly and helpful and the breakfast feast was delicious. They kindly stored our bags after we checked out so we could explore the town before our ferry back to the mainland. Ships Inn is a beautiful house and is very reasonably priced by Nantucket standards! Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple