“Good value for Nantucket”

House of the Seven Gables
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nantucket
House of the Seven Gables
Ranked #31 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
“Good value for Nantucket”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Aside from the fact that they also have a minimum night stay, which is HIGHLY frustrating.I would say it was a good value based on its proxmity to town. The staff is accommodating. The only room I would recommend is the largest room on the third floor with private bathroom. Some of the other rooms are so small you can't really move once you're in it. The house could use updating, so don't be shocked when you walk in the front door (as I was - I thought oh, no! what did I get myseld into). Owever, the bed was comfy and the room had a/c, which is important when you're up on the third floor! The breakfast is nothing special. The backyard is ok to sit in but the downstairs area is really not great at all for relaxing. So if you're planning on unwinding and not always being out and about, maybe not the place for you.

Room Tip: Top floor, king size bed with twin bed. Private bathroom.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Leominster, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We were there for the weekend of June16-17,2012, we had a nice room, the bed was very comfortable and atmosphere was good. Dorothy brought breakfast to our room which was a added nice touch. Their backyard was very private and cosy...We did alot of bike riding, there are trails you can get to from the inn. We walk from the ferry to the inn which was a 10 min walk. We had a great experience there and would go back again.

Room Tip: We had room #1 and it was a good size room....and I will stress the bed and pillows were very comfor...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Redondo Beach, CA
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I’ll begin by saying I haven’t stayed at HOSG. So if you want descriptions of the place and its facilities, this article won’t provide them. If you care about the integrity and ethics of the people with whom you do business, read on.

I made a reservation for Friday and Saturday nights, August 27th and 28th, 2011. I was coming from California and had a limited amount of time on the east coast.

Earlier that week the news was all about Hurricane Irene. I watched it hour by hour for the 3 or 4 days prior to my arrival date. I learned the storm was big, strong and headed right for the northeast including Massachusetts, Nantucket Island’s home state.
I waited for the storm to decrease in size or change course but it didn’t. On Friday morning the President was urging people to get out of harm’s way, move away from the coastal areas in the path of the storm. Massachusetts Governor Duval Patrick was saying the same thing. Don’t take any chances.

I called the HOSG and said that based on the information I had at that time, it would be risky for me to take the 30+ mile ferry trip to the low-lying island. The woman I spoke with became instantly confrontational. She told me I had been informed the inn had a no cancellation policy. She said under the circumstances, she could offer me two mid-week nights as compensation but that was it. .
I was heading back to CA anyway and couldn’t stay during the week. I either showed up or I lost my $500+.

The conversation degenerated into me threatening to have American Express cancel the charge. She had obviously been through this before. Actually, she told me that was the case.
Amex didn’t refund my money.

I don’t know what you call it when someone takes your hard earned money and gives you nothing in return but I call it larceny. The woman who runs this place is nothing better than a common thief, someone who sticks a knife in someone’s ribs and takes their wallet. Having Amex back her up does not make what she did right. I’m not done with Amex yet but I wanted to get this information out in hopes it can keep someone from making the same mistake I made.

If you think a despicable person like this would steal my money and not steal yours, think again.

Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
14 Thank Harry M

Travelers are raving about these Nantucket hotels

Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed January 7, 2012

This past summer I stayed at the Seven Gables with my husband and daughter we loved every minute! Easy walk to town and the beach! Step Beach is the best beach on the island!! Rooms are cozy, comfy and clean. We enjoyed breakfast each day on the patio and the beautiful gardens.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jennifer W
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We are frequent visitors to the island, and stay at the same places all the time. I decided to look for something a little different, and quaint. We definitely found it.
If you are looking to avoid some of the pretentious clientele that is all over ACK, this is a great place to do so. My one and only request with simpler hotels and BBs is cleanliness.
The ladies of the Inn keep the rooms spotless, I honestly felt like I was at home. They brought in a delicious breakfast tray with fresh coffee, toast and muffins right to the door. A really nice touch...
I highly recommend this spot, an incredible value on Nantucket.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank DNB25
Martigny-Croix, Switzerland
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I lived on Nantucket for nearly 10 years and since leaving have stayed in a number of guest houses and this was by far my favorite. I will stay here from now on, no need to look further. The rooms were clean, bed comfortable and I slept so soundly, even though Nantucket was in the middle of a heat wave. No air conditioning in the room that I stayed in but it was cool in the night. The bathroom was enormous and the water pressure in the shower was amazing!

The breakfast that was served in my room was delicious and bountiful, I didn't expect such a big choice of very good breakfast treats. I had a problem with the internet and Dottie called in someone to take a look at the inn's connection and personally came up to my room to see if it got working again. Which it did.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Beaupeep99
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 19, 2011

If you are looking for a clean, reasonably priced, friendly place to stay, you need to stay here at the House of the Seven Gables. Our hostess, Dottie, made sure that everything was perfect with our stay. My sisters and I enjoyed the house and the bedrooms, and we especially loved the delicious breakfast that Dottie served us out back in the gardens.
The B & B was a close walk to town and the wharf. The rooms were quiet, historic, and comfortable. We stayed in three nice rooms on the second floor. The ocean breeze was delightful in every room. We will certainly stay here again during our next visit to Nantucket. You can't go wrong with this excellent property!

Room Tip: Room sizes vary with location, so be sure to let them know what you most desire.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family