“Frosty reception, frosty room”

House of the Seven Gables
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nantucket
House of the Seven Gables
Ranked #29 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
boston
“Frosty reception, frosty room”
Reviewed May 17, 2011

I think that for the price, this is an okay place to stay, but I would have just as soon paid a little more for a better room and better hospitality. When we arrived we were cooly greeted by Dotty, who while not rude, certainly doesn't know how to make one feel welcome. She let us into our room, and told us about breakfast. That;s pretty much it. The room was freezing cold and when I asked if we could get some heat in there, she said something along the lines of "I'll see about it. I didn't think about guests being cold." She did turn the heat on and also got me an extension cord for my hair dryer when I asked, as there is no outlet in the bathroom. The room was on the ground floor and facing the street. It's a little dark and doesn't feel very private, as it opens right into the reception and front door area. If someone does opt to stay here, I'd suggest getting a room upstairs.

Breakfast the next day was lackluster. Though the website claims the muffins are fresh-baked, they tasted store bought and artificial. The coffee was also a disappointment. Right before we left, a friendlier person greeted me and expressed her disappointment that we could only stay one night. I can't remember her name, but perhaps she's the owner. She seemed quite nice and it was a very pleasant encounter. She could give Dotty a few pointers.

The house itself is old and interesting. One definitely has the feel of being in old Nantucket, sloping floors, musty antiques, and cold rooms. Not a bad place, just not that great. On the plus side, it's a ten minute walk to the downtown.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BostonCate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 5, 2011

We called to cancel our weekend due to Hurricane Earl and they refused even though the Steamship Authority cancelled ferry service on Friday. Dorothy's response was that they don't cancel rooms because of a "rain and wind storm". Well guess what - they don't "name" rain and wind storms, they name hurricanes.
Bad policy - Greedy is the word.

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank ZWdude

Travelers are raving about these Nantucket hotels

Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed September 7, 2010

The room was quaint and the staff friendly but they need to change their refund policy.
The airlines notified us that Hurricane Earl would probably cancel our flights and suggested that we change our flights. House of Seven Gables charged us for 2 nights that we didn't stay. Like they were really going to sell those rooms with a hurricane bearing down on the island.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank luckyrod
Portland, Maine
Reviewed September 1, 2010

My boyfriend and I were in Nantucket for a friend's wedding and needed a room on very last minute notice at a very reasonable rate, for just one night. With the help of the nice fellows at the Visitor Information office, they made a call to Dottie at The House of Seven Gables B&B. She offered the exact price we were hoping for on very last minute notice. The B&B is walking distance to downtown, very quaint and quiet and Dottie who runs the B&B is super friendly and welcoming. The room we had was nice and comfortable and the entire place was quiet. I definately will be staying the next time I go to Nantucket and recommend it to others as well!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Albany, NY
Reviewed July 28, 2010

After a hiatus of a few years, we returned to ACK and this lovely B&B. We had stayed several times previously at the Seven Gables and found it quite chariming, well located and with a run by a very lovely staff. I am please to say that all of our expectations were once again met, and actually exceeded. Dottie was as friendly and accomodating as ever, and the usual high standards we were accustomed to at the inn have definitely been maintained. Simply put, I can't find any fault with the Seven Gables and we look forward to our next stay.

Danbury, Connecticut
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Recently my wife and I decided to get away for a long weekend, and we wanted to try Nantucket. Our main goal for the weekend was to relax, and we hoped to find a decent place at a reasonable price.

Our search was not easy. Besides limited availability during the high season, in Nantucket, "reasonable price" seems to be an unknown term, with rates of $300+ per room not being unusual. Luckily though we persisted in our search and came across the House of the Seven Gables.

We were quoted a last minute rate of $155, for a queen bed room with private bath. I must say I was a little hesitant, given the drastic difference between other rates, but after reading the Trip Advisor reviews we decided to go for it.

We're really glad we did. After a very short cab ride from the ferry, we received a warm greeting from Dottie, one of the innkeepers. She gave us a crash course on where to go and what to see, and showed us to our room. We stayed in room #1, which is on the first floor at the front of the house. The room was larger than we expected, as was the bathroom. I was a little concerned about potential noise issues, especially in old houses such as these, but as we discovered we rarely ever heard any of the other guests, and noise from the street was never an issue.

The location turned out to be better than we expected as well. It's a short walk to town, just enough to burn off dinner without feeling like a trek. It's also about a 10 - 15 min walk to Jetties beach, through some really beautiful neighborhoods.

Breakfast was about what we expected, with juice, coffee/tea, and bagels and muffins. What was nice though was the patio out back where breakfast was served (if you didn't want breakfast served in the room). The patio looked out onto a nice little garden with a fountain, with landscaping that strategically blocked out the neighboring houses. We opted to eat here each day, and met some really nice folks from the midwest and the UK. On one rainy day we also spent several hours on the patio (under the awning of course) reading books and drinking wine.

This Inn definitely helped us achieve our goal and I would definitely consider returning in the future.

Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 20, 2010

We decided last minute to stay on Nantucket and I called the Visitor Ctr to ask if they had any cancellations at B&Bs. The House of Seven Gables had the best room and the best rate. We stayed in room 11 which was the top floor with a king bed and sitting area looking out over the houses to the water. While the bathroom was a little small, we fell in love with the room almost instantly.
The location is great and very convenient, just off the main drags but close enough for a quick walk to dinner. Practically right next to Something Natural where you can pick up sandwiches before heading to the beach.
Breakfast was small (english muffin, baked blueberry bread) but the coffee and juice was lovely -and it was delivered to our room which made for a nice, relaxing, romantic breakfast in bed. Perfect morning snack before hoping on the bikes.
All in all we loved this house!