Cliffside Beach Club
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Nantucket
See available hotels
  • Spa
  • Free Internet
76 Main(Nantucket)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe galleylow keyrestaurant onsitethe entire islandclose to townvery special placehome basehotel rooma wonderful place to stayliving roomdeckcharmcouchjeepanniversarybikes
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 30, 2008

PROS: Great location; close to town/easy walk; right on the ocean; beautiful view of the ocean and (as far as I know) the only "real" beach-side hotel on the island (where you can step out your front door right onto the sand).

CONS: The decor should've been more updated IMO for a 4-star place. The brown carpeting did not go with any of the other details in the room. The TV was miniscule and placed too low on the dresser to comfortably watch from the bed. Being stuck indoors with lots of rain makes this really annoying. The bed was entirely too small and for whatever reason, the maid doesn't believe in tucking in any of the linens. The bathroom was way too small. The lack of privacy as the previous poster said is a bit of an issue. The types of window coverings don't give you an option for even a "slight view". It's all or nothing. Access to food is non-existent other than ordering in from only one available restaurant that does delivery. We hadn't expected to have to deal with rain so didn't prepare and rent a car. We got stuck ordering pizza several nights in a row. Supposedly the restaurant on the property will deliver but that leads me to the next complaint. The Galley Restaurant which is right on the property is WAY overpriced for the food they serve. The Chefs were completely un-accomodating, unwilling to make adjustments for my diet requests, the staff was snooty, and they don't bother to tell you when they're closed or when there is a special event going (like the wedding they had on Saturday) which makes accessibility to them impossible. The wedding was held outdoors in a tent and the music rattled on for hours. The walls are very thin and you can hear EVERYTHING....people walking by, slamming drawers in their rooms, walking around, talking, etc. I started to feel at one point that I was surrounded by minotaurs.

My number one complaint is BUGS. Our second night in we're watching TV in the dark and my husband sits dead straight up in the bed staring at something. I clicked on the light and there are BUGS crawling on our bedspread. This continued to be the issue night after night. They were on the bed, on the floor, and crawling all over the bathroom. Now I understand we're right there on the beach and all, but for God's sake, the property owners need to make the doors/windows/insulation/WHATEVER more updated in order to keep this type of thing from coming in. I didn't get a decent night's sleep after that fearing that bugs were going to be climbing all over me all night long. Add to the fact that the maid doesn't believe in tucking in the linens, then you have a situation where bugs find it even easier to climb into bed with you. Fun.

The weather was just the weather, we ended up renting a car and seeing the island anyway. Nantucket is BEAUTIFUL and downtown is just to die for. The history is amazing and shows through the architecture and "feel" of all the different parts of the island.

If you decide to go to Nantucket:
-Drive up to 'Sconset and see the seals in the ocean...it's incredible!
-Drive up to Madaket and find probably the most beautiful, peaceful beach areas I've ever seen in my life (of course I'm sure this is largely based on time of year).
-Eat at Arno's downtown. Fantastic food for reasonable prices, wonderful, accomodating staff. Their southwestern omelet is to die for.
-Check out the Whaling museum....awesome!
-And bring lots and lots of back up for your camera (batteries, memory cards etc.) 'cause you're going to need it!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Mokasadi
ackbeach, Owner at Cliffside Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2009

We would like to thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are pleased that you liked the views and location but we would like to address your concerns. The TV in your room was a 20 inch model and now all the TVs have been replaced with Sharp Aquos LCD TVs that are 26 & 32 inches. The decor is a subjective thing. We have found that most of our guests like the new $50 per yard brown carpeting and feel that compliments the brown tones from the extensive custom woodwork and beigh and white quilts in the rooms. Cliffside is a unique property and has been designed as such. Most of our clients love the decoration and attention to detail. As far as bugs in the room, we believe that first and formost, a hotel must be clean. We have heard again and again from our past guests, that our property is impeccable both in the rooms and on the property. The Galley Beach Restaurant is widely considered one of the best on the island. New this year from June 21 to Labor Day, we will have our own private bar / cafe that will offer a lighter fare. Finally, all our beds are queens with superb linnens from Matouk. Sorry it rained during your stay. We cannot do anything about that but we do read the reviews and as a result, we make changes, which we feel will enhance our clients experience.

Reviewed September 29, 2008

My husband and I stayed here 12 years ago, and wanted to come back based on our memories of a low-key elegant place with a fabulous beachfront location. Then, as this time, we stayed in a room that opens directly onto a wooden porch set directly on the beach. We came for the view, and the view didn't disappoint. The room was somewhat small, but comfortable, with a queen-sized bed and a comfortable leather couch. It was equipped with stove top, toaster oven, and refrigerator, but, oddly no microwave or coffee maker - the two appliances we would be most likely to use. Last time we stayed in an end room (#127) which was really private, but in most rooms privacy is somewhat minimal, as there are lots of windows and other guests walk directly in front to get to their rooms. We were initially assigned to a room right next to the restaurant, but when we asked if we could change they were very nice about moving us. We appreciated the hotel's proximity to town, an easy 1-mile walk in nice weather.

The lobby of the hotel, where we ended us spending a lot of time since it rained for most of our stay, is fairly comfortable, with white wicker chairs and couches and newspapers and coffee available. Breakfast is so-so (cereal, toast, boiled eggs, pastries, fruit), but saves a trip to town if you aren't in the mood.

What keeps the Cliffside from being a top-notch hotel is their attention to details. We had numerous annoying problems with our room - light bulbs out, hair dryer didn't work, a door lock that stuck, no iron, no cushions for our deck chairs. When we called the front desk, each of these issues were resolved promptly and cheerfully, but I would rather not have had to call. The biggest issue, which wasn't resolved, was no internet access in our room, which was one of the 'Gold Coast' rooms. When I asked about it I was told that the signal to the Gold Coast rooms is 'weak.' If this is known, why not correct it? We didn't appreciate having to walk through the rain to the lobby to log-on. A DVD player to while away the rainy hours would have been nice as well.

The workout facilities are very well appointed with modern equipment within nicely decorated, rustic rooms. The new pool area is equipped with a separate lap pool. Again, little details emerged such as oversized workout towels in the gym which were difficult to use while on a machine and tiny, dentist-sized cups for water.

After reading several of the other reviews on this site, I wanted to note that we came to get away from our kids. There were no children here at the time of our stay, and I definitely would not bring our kids (3 and 6) here until they are much older.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kksc44

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We really found your review helpful. While we always offered many of the items, which you felt were missing, they required the guest to ask. We are equiping each room with coffee makers with freash roasted coffee from Nantucket Coffee Roasters. All the TV have been replaced with Sharp Aquos LCD and DVD players. We offer a wide selction of complimentary old and new DVDS for our guests enjoyment. There are cushions in all the rooms with private decks for use on the exterior furniture. The internet is free and the entire system was replaced for the 2009 season and offers a good signal in all the rooms including the Goldcoast. Finally, we are child friendly but do have adults only sections of rooms to enable everyone to get along. Sorry it rained during your stay.

Reviewed September 12, 2008

First the good - the location is amazing and the accessibility to the beach perfect; the room was tastefully decorated and spacious; the bell boys, the pool lifeguard, and the staff person who oversaw the continental breakfast were all terrific.

Now the bad – overall, the staff were unprofessional. I do not mean to suggest they were inappropriate, but rather they simply took little pride in their jobs. With one exception, the front desk staff seemed oblivious to their role (recommending utterly mediocre restaurants, playing on the internet more than helping guests, not offering maps, etc) and the housekeeping staff, while they did a good job cleaning, seemed annoyed at guests. Similarly, the guy who tended to the beach umbrellas was less than helpful, rather pushy, and was no where to be found 2 of the 4 days we were there. Finally, the fact that a VERY busy restaurant is co-located on the property seems directly at odds with the “quiet beach resort” feel I was expecting (it also makes no sense that while you can direct dial the restaurant from your room, you can’t charge restaurant expenses to your room).

As far as children - we were traveling with a young child (several other families were onsite as well) and while the Cliffside got some things right (beach toys, crib, etc) they also got some things terribly wrong - limited hours at the pool (which we knew about in advance) and more importantly a complete and total inflexibility about check out time. While the Cliffside was not fully occupied and has a 3 hour window between check out and check in times, the front desk staff were completely unhelpful in accommodating our request for a 45-60 minute delay in our check out time (even though we requested this when making the reservation and again at check in). This goes back to the lack of professionalism mentioned earlier as well as the lack of understanding of the needs of those traveling with children (mentioned in another recent review). When I explained that the delayed checkout was due to our daughter's need to nap before the long trip home, I got a blank stare from the young lady at the front desk. Rather than push the issue, we checked out on time and let our daughter nap in the stroller while we walked around downtown. In contrast to the staff, our fellow guests were incredibly nice and welcoming of our daughter – something we greatly appreciated on her very first vacation on Nantucket.

Overall, the Cliffside has great potential but needs better management/oversight. The location is ideal, but when you're paying in excess of $350/night, location alone is not enough.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank youngNYfamily

We would like to start by thaking you for taking the time to write the review. It seems that we have a great property with lovely clean rooms, beautiful views, a great beach, right out your front door and a lovely pool area just out the back door. Our goal is to make Cliffside welcoming to adults and families. We allow kids at the pool from 10:00AM to 12:30PM and then resrtict it to adults only. The beach is lovely with small waves and warm pristine water. Most of the kids are tired after the pool time and enjoy heading to the beach to make sandcastles(we provide the tools) and to swim in the ocean. We have done several customer surveys and our front desk staff has always rated very highly. We are sorry about your experince. We do visit all of the restaurants, which we recommend. Nantucket has a reputation for having some of the best food in New England. While we try to accomodate guests requests for later check outs, we do run at close to 100% occupancy and need the time to esure that the room will be ready for the arriving guest by 2:00 PM. We encourage our departing guests to spend the day with us. We offer a place to store luggage, changing rooms with showers & hair dryers and full use of the beach, gym and pools for the day. Finally, Cliffside is a fun, lively resort where families and adults can enjoy their vacation. It is not a family only resort, where all activity stops at 8:00PM.

Reviewed September 8, 2008

Children are allowed but NOT welcome. Being both pregnant and the mother of a 3 year old - I would not recommend this resort to other families with children. Immediately upon entering the lobby - there was a library atmosphere and I was uncomfortable (knowing my child is not a mute). The beach is small - if your toddler runs around like mine - they can be off the beach and into a busy parking lot in seconds. We were chastized by the staff because our child sat down behind one of the umbrellas. The umbrella was vacated but we were told it was for one of the rooms. We stayed in one of the rooms with direct access to the beach. The room was small with brown carpeting and old paneling for the cabinetry - no microwave or coffee machine (a mothers best friend). There was no bath tub or even a small handheld shower head so I could wash my child. There is a shower (with hand held spray) near the fitness center but I was told no children allowed. The pool is advertised as heated but it is kept very cold and I wasn't the only one to notice this. Since we had a child - we could only swim in the mornings for the 2 hours children are allowed. Being that it is colder in the morning - the pool was somewhat unpleasant. I did call the front desk and they did not want to do anything about the temperature. The pool area itself is gorgeous. The place is clean beyond belief - the staff is constantly cleaning (it actually can get annoying). They do offer a breakfast but its really equivalent to a cheap motel continental breakfast. Other than that - our room was near the restaurant so the smell of constant cooking (fried fish, meat) is very nauseating for a pregnant lady. I would recommend this place if your older without children. It is very quiet, clean and the staff want to carry everything for you. There is a small bay beach so if you have trouble walking on sand and want quiet water (yes even the water was quiet) - this place is for you. If you want activities, a lighter/happier atmosphere, or have children - I would find another resort. Considering how precious vacation days are and the cost - you can do much better.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
13  Thank Maggie089
Reviewed September 2, 2008

I loved this whole experience! I agree with all of the positive reviews of this wonderful property. This is home for me on this island! Very nice, accommodating owners as well as the staff. The facilities are gorgeous. I will be back next year. I wish I could have gotten enough time away to stay there longer. The only place that would top this would be your own house duplicating all of the details-beautiful public areas in the club house, the beach outside your door, pools, health club, turn of the century updated bathhouses, restaurant, (one of the best on the island) and above all, a very comfortable room with plenty of light. I also enjoyed making friends with other guests.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo