I just got back from a very pleasant Nantucket trip, it was half business, half pleasure. I had to find a hotel in the last minute and did lost of research, including lots here on TA. I read most of the bad reviews on The Beachside, and at first avoided even considering this location, based on the reviews. Then after discovering that 98% of everything was booked up, and The Beachside had some of the "cheaper" rates, I decided to go with 2 nights at the Beachside. I was actually pleasantly surprised because from the TA reviews, I thought this place would be a dump. It was quite nice... I thought the buildings, the rooms and grounds were lovely, and everything seemed to be maintained fairly well- especially the grounds. The room was an OK size, not big by any means, but a decent size. BAthroom was small, but ample. Room furnishings and bed were good. Good TV, furniture, etc.
Staff was very friendly and helpful, and called us Taxis whenever we asked. Also recommended restaurants. One of the key things about this motel was the location. An easy 10 minute walk into town. We walked everywhere and were fine with that. Except to and from the ferry. I had one really big heavy bag as well as a smaller bag, and even with wheels, there's NO WAY I'd want to haul luggage to and from the ferry terminal. I highly recommend taxis from the ferry to the Beachside. Taxi was $9 w/o tip for a 4 minute ride.
OK, Here are the Negatives:
1. The smell of the room— it was one of the nastiest mildew smells I've ever experienced. Opening all the windows and trying to get a cross draft was a temporary fix.
2. They said the pool would be open at 8 am. We tried to swim both mornings at 8, but pool access was locked until at least 9 am. By that time we were off for the day. Bummer. Major bummer. Walked by later in day around 4 and pool PACKED with kids. Small poolside area doesn't accompany 32 families very well.
3. Continental breakfast was decent, but packed the entire time.... kids loading up their plates because food was "free" (as one child commented) Also 5 year-old girls hogging toaster for 25 minutes, preparing toast and bagels as if they were home using their Easy-Bake Ovens. Granted they were at full capacity, and dining area is probably much quieter on a Tuesday morning in March.
All in all, It was a pleasant stay. Its not the White Elephant, but its not bad. Is it worth $332 a night? No. To me, location aside, this is a $99 a night motel. Bottom line? A decent place, with nice helpful staff, beautiful grounds, decent yet stinky rooms, relatively quiet and serene. Tidy Motor Lodege with nice New England Shingle and white wood trim and lattice look and feel. Decent Breakfast, re-stocked when needed. Nice lobby, not a long walk to room. GREAT location. I would stay here again, if under the same circumstances-- if I had no other option.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Beachside reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Beachside Hotel Nantucket
- Beachside Hotel Nantucket
- Beachside Motel Nantucket