“Nice clean place close to town”
Review of The Beachside

The Beachside
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Nantucket
Newport, Rhode Island
“Nice clean place close to town”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

It costs an arm and a leg to stay anywhere on Nantucket in the height of summer. My husband, my 19-year-old daughter and I were spending four nights on the island partly because my daughter's best friend is working on Nantucket this summer. We needed a flexible place to stay because my daughter's friend has been moving around a bit and we weren't sure whether my daughter could stay with her or not by the time we got there. We figured a motel would be more flexible about a third person in the room than an inn would be. That proved to be true: The Beachside has a sleeper sofa in its rooms, and though the web site indicated a $50 per night extra charge if you have an extra person, no one was counting heads. In fact, when I called in advance to ask if we could have an extra bed brought in if we needed one, they said there wasn't room in that particular room for an extra bed, but alerted me to the sleeper sofa option. My daughter ended up crashing with us two of the four nights and no one cared. Linens for the sleeper sofa were already in the room.

Overall, the Beachside is a great place to stay for a family. The pool is big and very nice and well used by kids. The free continental breakfast is a great convenience, not to mention a money-saver. It's the conventional breakfast you'd expect at a Days Inn or Holiday Inn Express: mini-bagels, muffins, cereal, yogurt, coffee, juices, bananas. Coffee is available at 7 a.m., before breakfast starts, again a nice touch. The motel was sold-out the week we were there and there was always room to sit and the staff kept everything efficiently replenished. The rooms are of average size, clean and simply furnished. On humid days they can smell a bit musty, as some reviewers have mentioned, but it's an island and that happens. No big deal for us. Our room was cleaned every day unless we waved the staff off. The location is a few blocks from town, very walkable, and is an equally short distance to the beach (no, in spite of the name, the motel is not beachside). The tv was fine, the wifi was free and the air conditioning is worth its weight in gold. We had a room on the back of the motel, without a balcony and not poolside; there were no rooms poolside or with a balcony remaining when we made reservations, so I'm not sure whether those are more money or not (fyi, we made reservations about two weeks in advance; a week later it was sold out). We had no complaints; it's Nantucket and we were only in the room to sleep and change clothes for the next activity!

That said, for the money it would be a lot more interesting to stay at one of the island's many inns or B&Bs right in town. We paid more than $300 a night, which is the going rate for many places on Nantucket. On the mainland, you'd pay about $100 for this type of motel. If not for the third-person factor, we would have gone the inn route. Judging by the breakfast crowd, the clientele is a lot of families, including extended families, and golfing buddies.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms have an option to sit outside, which is nice; the pool doesn't open til 10 a.m. s...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank pthomas156
KarenK12_12, Owner at The Beachside, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such an in-depth review of the Beachside! Our location, which is close to so many aspects of the island of Nantucket, makes it very convenient for our guests, especially with families. As you can tell from the other hotels and Bed & Breakfasts on the island., due to the unique location of the island, the Beachside is, in fact, lower priced for all of the amenites that our guests receive during their stay. Our beautiful pool is one of our more popular features, as are many of the conveniences such as the free continental breakfast, free Wifi throughout the entire hotel, New Flat screen TV's with built in DVD players, workout room and our 88 airconditioned rooms. Nantucket offers visitors various options for lodging, and the Beachside is a perfect place for those looking for a great location and very family-friendly and pet-friendly, clean and comfortable accomodations. Hope to see you again next season!!! Karen Keelan, Owner, The Beachside at Nantucket

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Bristol, Rhode Island
Reviewed August 1, 2012

The staff was super friendly. Check in and check out was very easy. They were able to store our luggage when we checked out while we went to the beach before we caught our boat. The room was very nice. It had all of the usual amenities of a nice hotel. We had an upstairs room with a balcony. It is a great place for the money and it is only a short walk to town and to the beach. My friends who I went with also loved it and we all said we would go back again. Hopefully soon!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
KarenK12_12, Owner at The Beachside, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Stephanie, Thank you for letting us know how we are doing in trying to make our guests' stays enjoyable. Our guests' satisfaction is our number one priority this season.. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Beachside and hope to have you visit us again in the future! Karen Keelan,, Owner, The Beachside at Nantucket
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I just wanted to say what an unbelievable time we had at the Beachside. The staff was great and the hotel is a ten minute walk to the beach and ten minutes to town. The rooms were clean and the continental breakfast was delicious. We were able to store our luggage after check out and shower before going back to the ferry.

Nantucket is an expensive place and the Beachside is a hidden gem on the island. I would definitely stay there again and would recommend it to anyone traveling to the island.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Veranda rooms and they were great!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
KarenK12_12, Owner at The Beachside, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Colleen.. Thanks for taking the time to write about your recent visit to the Beachside..As you say., our location makes it a short walk to town and the beaches, and being Triathalon Weekend, this made it so convenient for our guests whom were participating. Next year., we will be opening our continental breakfast early on Triathalon weekend to accomodate our Triathalon participants, as well as our other guests..Hope to see you then!! Karen Keelan, Owner., The Beachside at Nantucket
Reviewed July 19, 2012

The location of this inn makes it a very good value. My husband and I do not rent a car while visiting the island and the location allows you to walk to the village and the beaches within 10 minutes. The room was clean however the windows and the bathroom grout (some mold) could have been cleaner. Room rate includes a continental breakfast which was very good. Overall our stay was very nice and I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012
KarenK12_12, Owner at The Beachside, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Hearing from our guests is of utmost importance to us at the Beachside so that we can improve on all areas..Although we make every attempt to make sure that each and every room is clean and in the best of condition, we will make sure that even closer attention is paid to the details that you referenced. Our location and rates make it very affordable for families and guests, ( including our four-legged family pets ) to come to the beautiful island of Nantucket and enjoy the island with convenience and proximity to many venues. So glad that you enjoyed and will be back to visit us in the future!!! Karen Keelan, Owner., The Beachside at Nantucket
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Talesha and Kemona are two of the most helpful front-office hotel staff members I have encountered in quite some time. I was in town overnight for an interview for my dream job. I had already checked out of the hotel and returned after the interview to pick up my bags when I was called back in for a 2nd interview that very day! Talesha went above and beyond to provide an iron and board so I could get my clothes back into presentable shape after walking 2.5 miles thru 90degree heat. Talesha and Kemona were very responsive throughout my entire stay. Maggie was, too. They were all so friendly, warm and welcoming and cheered me on as I set off to see my dreams come true. Thanks, Beachside, for being a great part of my memories. :)

Room Tip: rooms in front have cute little patios outside to enjoy your morning coffee
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
KarenK12_12, Owner at The Beachside, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Caitlin, we appreciate your taking the time to let us know that we made your stay so enjoyable at the Beachside. Customer Service is our Number one Priority and as you can tell, all of our staff are working very hard to make sure that our guests wil come back and visit us again. Telisha and the rest of the staff make sure that in whatever way they can help any of our guests, they will...and I am glad to hear that they were helpful to you in getting to see your dreams come true in your new position!! We look forward to your stay with us in the future. Karen Keelan, Owner., The Beachside at Nantucket
Sagamore, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed poolside - room was spacious, clean and the bathroom updated. Staff friendly and helpful, even arranging transportation at the end of our stay. Quite in the evening and far enough away from town to enjoy the peace but a pleasant walk for all the excitement. Would definitely stay again! Continental breakfast was decent - bagels, pastries, yogurt and cereal. Coffee is available at 7:30 but there's a Kurig in the room for those that need an earlier jolt! Free movies availble at the front desk to help keep the kids entertained. Only downside - pool doesn't open until 10...a long wait for the younger ones!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
KarenK12_12, Owner at The Beachside, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Tammy...Glad to hear that we are succeeding in all of our efforts to make our guests' stays enjoyable and that you will be back to visit us at the Beachside!! As far as the pool hours, the only reason that we open the pool at 10 am is to let our guests who stay in our poolside rooms relax a little later and not be woken up too early...We are considering opening the pool a bit earlier to accomodate our younger guests, as we can see that it is never too early for them to go swimming!!! Thank you for your suggestion and hope to see you again at the Beachside.
Karen Keelan, Owner, The Beachside at Nantucket
Reviewed June 28, 2012

The Beachside was my home for 6 days while I was doing the "Nantucket Shuffle". Moving housing in between seasons. I travel often and have rarely seen the care and professionalism in the staff! Cleaners were all happy, friendly and helpful. When I told Maggie at the front desk that my toilet ran constantly, the repairman was at my room before I got back.

Positive attitude all around can be traced back to manager Telisha! Great value and people that listen and really care!

• Stayed June 2012
, Owner at The Beachside, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
I appreciate your comments and will make sure that our staff is made aware of your compliments...Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing!! Karen Keelan, Owner., The Beachside