“Beautiful home with bubbly sweet hostess!”
Review of Martin House Inn

Martin House Inn
Ranked #7 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
Arizona
“Beautiful home with bubbly sweet hostess!”
Reviewed July 22, 2009

We had a wonderful time at the Martin House! It is situated on a beautiful flower-lined street with a short walk to Nantucket town. Skye, our hostess, was accomodating and kept us laughing and having fun! She baked delicious homemade pastries for us every morning and had cookies and tea, or wine and cheese for us in the afternoon. Don't miss climbing up the "widow's walk" to enjoy the beautiful view of the bay from the roof. Enjoy!

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Annapolis, MD
Reviewed July 11, 2009

We stayed two nights here in July 2009. Breakfast was a dismal and unhealthy affair with little selection except for fatty pastries ("gourmet pastry chef"? -- they have got to be kidding -- any 10-year-old can make chocolate chip muffins) and wilted, mainly melons, fruit salad. One cereal -- only -- offered. First room we were put in was in the "attic," painted a dark color, very gloomy with very small bathroom. Room was dirty and dusty, sand on the floor. Discovered that room had not been cleaned at all: used toiletries in the shower, hair and stain on sheets -- sheets from J. C. Penny rather than the advertised Frette linens. No afternoon tea as described on their website -- innkeeper stated it was "shoulder season" so no tea served; however, it was early July which qualifies as "peak season." Overall, we were quite disappointed; the inn did not come up to our expectations based on the inn's website and comments we viewed on this site prior to making our reservation. To their credit, we were moved to another room with a larger bathroom. However, we would not stay there again.

• Stayed July 2009
5 Thank DiamondGirl2009
Virginia
Reviewed June 24, 2009

The Martin House Inn is in a quiet, pretty neighborhood and the house itself is quite charming. We reserved the only room with a TV as we wanted to watch the U.S. Open and to keep up with news and weather. It was the only room of the 13 rooms available that has a TV. We had a big living room with a couch, two loveseats, a big coffee table and a big entertainment center. When we opened the doors to the entertainment center, there was a 13-inch TV – obviously very old; turned it on; picture so dark it was difficult to see; turned sound up to 100 with little sound – could hardly hear it. Then, we went to the bathroom and there was our beautiful vanity – 6 inches wide and about 15 inches long stuck in a corner with all the pipes showing. When we brushed our teeth, we had to bend over (with our heads hitting the brick wall) to keep from spitting on the floor. My husband (who is 6’5” tall) could not get both hands under the faucet to wash them. It was such a disgrace that we got tickled and laughed rather than cried. There was barely room for a cake of soap on the sink and the towels were a good 4 feet from the sink. Had to put our toiletries’ bags on the back of the toilet. No mirror there except the long one on the bathroom door which was far away from the toilet where we had to reach for our personal items – to shave –makeup, etc. There was no use to complain as the B&B was full for the weekend. I took pictures of the sink and TV so our families can see what we paid $400 per night for. It was hilarious and a shame. That particular room should be discounted big time.

I must say the breakfasts were wonderful; the proprietor was bubbly and friendly but would not accommodate us when we asked if we could have breakfast early one morning (out of the five mornings we were to be there). We asked for breakfast 20 minutes early as we had a tour to get at 8:45 that morning – we knew the pastries would not be ready but we thought she could put out the cold cereal and milk, but she wouldn’t budge.

We loved Nantucket, but will pick a B&B or hotel closer to town if we visit again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank burrusscamp
boston
Reviewed June 14, 2009

The home-cooked breakfast was delicious including scones, apple turnover, yogurt and fruit. The innkeeper, Skye, was a pleasure and could not have been more helpful. The view from the widow's walk of Nantucket was great! The front porch was very relaxing and you could easily walk downtown for shopping & meals and to/from the ferry.

Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Massachusetts
Reviewed May 27, 2009

We stayed just one night last August and everything went smoothly. We had a beautiful room with private bath. There was a nice roof deck to get a view of the bay. Conveniant walking distance to downtown and area beaches. We rented a scooter to get around the island and explore the other areas of the island. Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was delicious.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Taunton, MA
Reviewed May 20, 2009

My boyfriend and visited the island for the first time during daffodil weekend. Not only had neither of us ever been to Nantucket be we had never stayed in a Bed and Breakfast as well, and what an experience!! Skye was an absolutely fantastic inn keeper. She was extremely personable, hospitable, and just an over all joy to be around. She made us feel right at home. The inn was very presentable as opposed to the first inn we had checked out. It was very clean, and we got an adorable romantic room with a canopy bed, which was unbelievably comfortable. It was also in a perfect location for us to walk around. Wouldn't think of staying at any other inn the next time we visit!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Lebanon, PA
Reviewed May 14, 2009

I found this inn by reading the reviews from tavelers here. I am so glad I booked this inn for my trip to nantucket.
When first arrived Skye helped me with getting info on the area and places I might want to try for luches and dinners. I had a wonderful room with a canopy bed with a nice feathertop on the mattress which made me fall right to sleep. The living room area was great, I would sit at night in the window seat and relax watching TV or reading a book. In the mornings she would have to fire place going and have fresh yummy pastries (awesome apple turnovers and rasberry crumble), fruit and yougurt, and what ever drink you like. Skye was very sweet to sit with me at breakfast and chat since i traveled alone and no one else was at the inn at that time. She makes yummy cookies in the afternoon for a quick snack.
I think the day I was leaving would have been really stressful if not for Skye. I went to airport to leave and the flights were canceled so I called her and asked to stay another night and she was sooo sweet and picked me up from the airport so I didn't have to pay for another taxi ride. She then took me around the island for my own little tour of the area and got to see the coast and some local places I would never had a chance to see without her. It was a very unexpected adventure that really made the trip so much more special. I want to go back again and look forward to staying at Martin house again. Very clean and well run inn. Skye is a huge part of my great inn experience and my first solo travel adventure.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo