“Excellent!”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Nantucket
Richmond, Virginia
“Excellent!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Jared Coffin house for a quick getaway in August. This was our first visit to Nantucket and we absolutely loved it! We got off the ferry and had a pleasant 8 minute walk to the hotel. Rachel at the front desk greeted us warmly and was most helpful in finding us things to do until our room was ready. I noticed immediately how clean and tidy everything was and loved that the parlor and living room were traditional antique New England yet the restaurant located directly behind them was modern and fun. The staff was as friendly as can be and knows the island like the back of their hand. We had not made any restaurant reservations but are foodies and love a good meal. Rachel and her co-workers found us reservations at a couple of overbooked hotspots with ease and polish. We were thankful! Our room was in the building next door (not sure if those are less fancy than the main building - we did NO research on this place) and was exactly what we needed. These are not rooms that are outfitted with the latest and greatest like you would expect in a 5 star urban hotel but what is there is charming, comfortable, has all the amenities one would need, and is spic-and-span clean. Our pillows were fluffy, the a/c was super-responsive, and the mini fridge kept our drinks nice and cold. We ate brunch at the restaurant on our last day and the food was spectacular! I had no idea what we were walking into initially but after a few days on the island I came to realize the location can't be beat. Hats off to the fine staff - we will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Boston, MA
Reviewed August 27, 2012

My wife and I spent a night at the hotel to celebrate our anniversary. I wasn't expecting a lot, but the place was really nice and more upscale than my expectations. The room was small, but very clean and great bed, high def TV, and decent bathroom. The location is great as well as you can easily walk to anywhere downtown. Light continental breakfast was included. A couple of other things that we did which may be useful to know:
- We rented bikes from Young's right down the street. Took 5 minutes and we were on our way to the beach. Bikes are a great way to get around Nantucket and would recommend this for anyone. There are bike paths to many of the beaches, but heads up you will be biking for at least 3+ miles to most of them. We were able to lock up our bikes right near the hotel on the sidewalk. Only thing to watch out for is the "local" drivers who seem annoyed with the bikers congesting the town and can be aggressive and rude.
- 3.5 mi ride to Surfside beach was well worth it. Amazing beach for relaxing and has a good beachside drink/food stall for lunch. Also rode out to Madaket beach which was also nice, but not as much wow factor as Surfside.
- Rode our bikes to Cisco brewery and spent a few hours one afternoon drinking great beer and listening to music. Definitely would do this again and recommend it for anyone who wants to taste beer, vodka, or wine on a nice afternoon.
- Dinner at Cru was also spectacular, highly recommend the swordfish.
- Only downside to Nantucket is the snobbish feel that you get from people at many of the restaurants and stores, and certainly the drivers.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My wife and had the pleasure of spending a couple of nights on Nantucket before heading over to Dartmouth, MA for our yearly family gathering. Always wonderful to unwind before the excitement. The hotel is perfectly situated to explore the town and beaches. The interior is just grand enough to awe but not too stuffy, we both loved the decor of the restaurant in the back (wished we had time to dine there). The rooms are small but immaculate, with the feeling of residing with family on the island. Not cheap but in my opinion worth it, the only downside would be not having breakfast included. For a special occasion definitely worth it. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
sydney
Reviewed August 16, 2012

When checking on short notice, we were amaxed how expensive some hotels were.

the Jared Coffin is great value. Very comfortabke room with all facilities.

No restaurant, but plenty nearby.

The receptionist, Rachel, could not have been more helpful and went to a lot of trouble to find a tour guide (Kathleen Fitzgerald taxi driver) on short notice. She is acreit to the hotel.

The breakfast was mediocre, but I theink it was a tempoary arrangement.

Wpuld strongly recommend this as very good value.

Room Tip: The new building was fine.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cubacubaSydney
Boston Mass USA
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Loved the brickwork and wood work in lobby in this hotel. Very helpful & efficient staff. Rooms are not big as befitting a hotel from an older era, but the ambiance is never going to be beaten by the corporate giants.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 33searcher
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I chose the JCH because of it's location and descriptions and photos I found here and on their website. I was pleasantly greeted by Paula, an innkeeper. She was very sweet and helpful. Also, Erin who works the desk is very cheery and was on top of locating my suitcase which United Airlines lost. The common rooms are very pretty, very New England styled. They are air conditioned, and have lots of books about the island and others to sit and read. The restaurant Essex, was very good and has a hip modern atmosphere. On to the room, I had a single room reserved. My room (410) was on the second floor (two long flights up- no elevator) and was attractive- guessing about 10'x14'. There was no chair, so I requested one, which was brought up right away. The bathroom was tiny, utilitarian and was fine with a small shower and small iron/enamel sink. There was an AC unit in the window which worked well, however, it was a little noisy. The closet was also tiny. My two main issues, I would have to say, were the mattress, a "pillow top" styled so worn that the whole thing slanted and the noise. Until I could manage to get some pillows placed properly, I was very uncomfortable. And, because you are staying in a "house" you hear doors opening and closing- as if you were at home and someone opened and closed their door in the next room, Overall, though, the charm, the location, the pleasant staff, and the restaurant would bring me back again. I do think some new mattresses are in order, and some earplugs!

Room Tip: Ask if the mattresses are new.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank LASGarcia
PORTSMOUTH
Reviewed July 26, 2012

II just returned from a wonderful getaway of 3 nights at the Jared Coffin House on Nantucket Island. It was a very pleasant experience from start to finish.
I was travelling with my sister and brother and sister in law - all looking forward to their first visit to Nantucket. We wanted a nice place in walking distance of restaurants and town. The Jared Coffin House came to us by meeting our location needs. The pleasant experience exceeded our expectations in all ways. The front desk was very welcoming as we arrived. There was lemonade there in the entry, and they offered us cold bottles of water to bring to our room, This was very welcome on a very hot summer afternoon. The rooms were pleasant and nicely appointed. There was a nice sitting area with free use of a computer just down the hall.
We rented a Jeep for a day and the Innkeeper was so helpful with all of our plans, including providing us with beach chairs, towels, umbrella & water.
There was delicious coffee in the nicely appointed living room to start our mornings. The staff had more than enough suggestions of where to go for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Overall we felt that the staff knocked themselves out to be sure that we were happy with our stay. I would recommend this Inn to anyone who asks.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family