“Extremely Grateful for a Wonderful Three Days Stay in Nantucket!”
Review of Centerboard Inn

Centerboard Inn
Ranked #3 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 25, 2009

Dear Centerboard B & B,
I wanted to extend a huge heart felt thank you for a wonderful experience at your Bed And Breakfast. I have traveled the USA (everywhere except the northwest, Alaska and Hawaii) and have stayed at many B & B's along the way! I have never written a review for any of them. However, my experience was truly so wonderful, I have taken the time out of my extremely busy schedule to write this review to share with others what a top notch B & B Centerboard is!

Upon entering this beautiful House, I first noted the cleanliness which is clearly present everywhere. That is always the most important aspect of any place of which I stay. My host, James, was extremely welcoming and accommodating. I was not too familiar with Nantucket and his assistance with maps and directions was most helpful. His knowledge of the island, including the history of Nantucket, is very impressive. Thank you James for helping to make my stay even better with your local recommendations as they were extremely helpful!

I stayed in room # 5. My room was beautifully decorated, with a beautiful comforter, lavender flowered sheets and the most comfy pillows I have ever rested my head on. I love a good hot shower, and that is exactly what I got. The soap, shampoo and towels were abundantly supplied. The hair dryer was very powerful for its size and over all, this is one of my favorite rooms to stay in! I was able to see a few of the other rooms, including the master suite, and was very impressed with the decor of all of these as well. Very nicely done!

As for the morning breakfast, I was greeted with freshly baked bread, granola, strawberries, yogurt, and more. It was all delicious! The coffee, which is freshly roasted by the host himself, is awesome! A great way to start the morning!

Over all, I would recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone as it was a truly enjoyable experience! Great location (walking distance to many of the top restaurants on the island such as the Brotherhood Inn, Queequegs, and the Centre Street Bistro) and very close to main street where the center of town is located.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank carolyn22
There are newer reviews for Centerboard Inn

Reviewed March 19, 2009

I was not going to send this review but decided that I personally depend on Trip Advisor, it was only fair to travelers and even perhaps the Centerboard to be honest.

We just returned from a wonderful 3 days in lovely Nantucket. Crowds were down and weather great, in fact one day was summer like. The only that marred our stay was staying at the Centerboard Guest House. Before I go any further let me say, James Blunt is an outstanding host. He truly does his best to welcome all guests and make them feel at home. Our problems began on the summer like day. We were on the second floor of the inn. A sign in the bathroom warned to turn off air conditioner before using hair dryer. I can understand that. What I could not understand was where the air conditioner was. Upon calling management we were told the air conditioners were down for the season. This was just September 15th. One of the reasons for choosing this Guest House was the ad that the rooms were air conditioned. We did find out that other rooms had air conditioning but not ours. Yes, the air conditioner may have broken down and they did not want to have it fixed this late in the summer, but we were paying the same price as those with air. It would have been nice to have it reflected in our rate along with the apology.

The deluxe expanded continental breakfast with home made pastries, coffee cakes or muffins was a half slice of loaf bread and cantaloupe. Cereal and yogurt was also provided. You actually felt ill at ease eating more than one piece of anything as there was not enough for everyone. It was a very uncomfortable experience.

Our room was nice. Bathroom small but you would expect that. What we did not expect was lack of soap! There was one small bar of soap for the sink and that same bar was for the shower. Not a good experience. We did have to ask for more soap and the next day it was provided.

This is not our first time in Nantucket, but our first and last at the Centerboard Guest House. I had read all the raving reviews and wanted to stay there.

My mother always taught me not to say anything if I could not say something good. I thought twice about doing this review but know I would have wanted to know about these unnecessary inconveniences on our otherwise lovely stay in Nantucket!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank BostonLadybug
Lordfarthingham, Manager at Centerboard Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2009

First let me say how sorry I am that the guest had an unsatisfactory experience here more than 6 months ago. With such a long run of uniformly positive reviews, hers came as quite a shock to me. As the Centerboard's resident manager I do my best to ensure every guest's utmost comfort and well being. I firmly believe that if this guest had been more communicative with me while she was here I could have made things right. If she had said, "Please put the a/c back in," I would have, no further discussion. If she had wanted more of anything we offer at breakfast all she had to do was ask. As for the soap, we try to conserve where possible. The sinks have liquid soap pumps. One bar of bath/shower soap usually is sufficient for two people staying a few days, but more is the guest's for the asking, as it was in her case. At the Centerboard we are genuinely committed to excellence in hospitality. We take all guest comments to heart and try to learn from them, as we will this one. Sincerely, James Blunt.

Reviewed February 26, 2009

We stayed for almost two weeks during the holidays. Our room was the main suite, and it was better than expected. The house is wonderful and the inn keeper, James, is just the best. He knew how to balance hospitality and care, with an unobtrusive style. As wonderful as the beautiful old inn is, it was James that made our stay absolutely memorable. Of course Nantucket during the holidays is fantastic too!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2009

Love the Centerboard! James, the innkeeper provides a warm welcome to a wonderful downtown Nantucket experience, with homemadel breakfast breads, homemade granola, juice blends and toasts his coffee beans! Deb the owner has beautifully maintained this historic guest house with comfortable, tasteful rooms and great bedding. I have returned monthly on business for 5 years for the quality and hospitality and i must say that i have never been disappointed. I can't imagine a more appropriate selection for this quaint and charming island than this Guesthouse. James is a creative, colorful and well traveled host, who creates from the first visit, the impression that you are visiting a friend. Wonderful experience!
Scott Hutton
Philadelphia, PA

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2008

We expected it to be nice but it was even better than anticipated. The location was great for restaurants, historic sites and town. It was also good for access to bike paths and has a bike rack in back to safely lock up for the night. James, the innkeeper, was always friendly and helpful. The rooms are not giant but are perfectly adequate and very clean. The bed was very comfortable and the sheets and linens were first class. We could not have been more pleased.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2008

We absolutely loved this charming home away from home! In an antique setting, all of the rooms have been updated with modern amenities so as to have the comforts of home. The location is perfectly situated close to town. The area is quiet and the breakfast superb! We highly recommend this fabulous Inn for your next stay in lovely Nantucket!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 9, 2008

Stayed at the Centerboard for two nights after reading the reviews on tripadvisor and we were not disappointed. James made us feel right at home with excellent lunch and dinner suggestions. The room was clean and bathroom spotless. James roasts his own coffee beans and the taste is outstanding. We look forward to staying at the Centerboard the next time we are on the island.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple