“A charming inn, centrally located, with cheerful hosts.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nantucket
The Carlisle House Inn
Ranked #12 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 18, 2009

I had a wonderful stay at the Carlisle House Inn. I spent the weekend with many close friends and we all adored the furnishings and setting of the Inn. The Inn could not be in a better location; it is a 2 minute walk from Main Street-- incredibly close, but still on a very quiet street. The hosts were very cheerful and excited to have us staying there. They provided great insider information about the island as well as a delightful breakfast. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Carlisle House Inn

Reviewed November 28, 2008

The Carlisle House Inn is as charming during the "off-season" as it is in the summer months. My husband and I brought my eighty-five-year-old mother to the island to visit friends in November, and we stayed at the Inn for the weekend. My mother was able to stay in the first-floor room, which was perfect for her, and my husband and I enjoyed a second-floor suite.

Named after various sites around the island, the rooms are each uniquely furnished and decorated and have their own personalities! We enjoyed our sitting room, the fireplace, the views of the garden and the quaint neighboring houses from our windows, and the amenities like the Caswell & Massey toiletries in our large, comfortable bathroom.

We also loved the breakfast spread, and we sampled everything! Heather, the Innkeeper, makes most of the delicious breads and muffins, all supplemented with fresh fruit (including a variety of berries!), yogurt, hot and cold cereals, and great coffee. We enjoyed meeting and chatting with the other guests in the sunny breakfast room.

Heather was a warm and welcoming innkeeper who made sure that our stay was perfect. She recommended restaurants, places to see on the island (even in November!), and attended to our every request (including hot tea in the afternoon).

I absolultely recommend this historic inn for a memorable stay on the island of Nantucket.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 22, 2008

This was my first weekend trip to Nantucket and I was very excited. Based on a recommendation from a mutual friend, we booked the Carlisle House Inn without doing much research. Upon arrival, we had to ring the bell 3 times before anyone came to check us in. Because we were getting in later at night (9pm), I had called to give them advance notice. When we were checked in, we were ready to start the weekend!

Saturday morning, we woke late and had missed the breakfast hour. There is no place to get anything to drink (water, juice or soda) so I approached the desk and explained that I had missed breakfast but was wondering if I could get some juice or water. Heather, the innkeeper, said yes and then asked if I wanted some coffee cake or anything. I said if it wouldnt be that much trouble that'd be great. She proceeded to bring breakfast back out, but acted as though I demanded it be brought out. I thought it was nice of her to do, but it was very uncomfortable given her demeanor while doing so.

Overall, the weekend in Nantucket was great. Heather was nice enough but didn't go out of her way to make us feel welcome. Normally this wouldn't be an issue but considering what my expectations of staying at a b&b were, they were sadly not met.

The room was fine and the location was great.

Reviewed October 16, 2008

We are frequent visitors to Nantucket, and have stayed at different B&B and Inns on each of our visits. We found the Carlisle House to be a nice establishment with a gracious host and an extremely convenient location in the downtown district. The inn was exactly as pictured on their website and as described. When we arrived early in the morning, Heather immediately greeted us, helped us with our bags, and showed us to our room right away - although it was hours before check-in time. When we noticed a very small issue in the bathroom, it was corrected immediately. And when we inquired about the time for breakfast we also mentioned that we were early risers, and Heather offered to put out coffee early for us - which she did each morning for our entire stay. I found her, and her daughter Molly, who also acted as host, to both be friendly and pleasant, respectful of our privacy, and very helpful whenever we needed anything. The continental breakfast was satisfying and tasty, with an assortment of bagels & breads for toasting, fruit, yogurt, cereal and a different coffee-cake, or fresh baked item each day.
The only thing that I would mention if you are considering this inn, is the location of our first floor room. I did choose this room when I booked, and was told where it was and that it had a small bathroom, and although the room was very pretty I would not recommend it. Entered via a tiny alcove off the parlor, it had an awkward door situation that required us to close the breakfast room door whenever we wanted to open our door. I should also note that although it wasn't an issue for us early birds, if you are a late riser this would not be the room for you as we could clearly hear all the morning breakfast prep by the innkeepers as well as guests in the breakfast room. And while the wood-paneled room was nicely furnished with a canopy bed and we found it quaint, the bathroom was indeed too small and needed updating (and expanding!). I would recommend trying one of the rooms on the 2nd or 3rd floor, which is what we would do if we returned for another stay.
But overall, we were happy and enjoyed our stay, and would probably return to the Carlisle Inn on our next trip to Nantucket.

• Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank bbinngirl
Reviewed September 22, 2008

Charming B&B, close to town,great breakfast, quiet at night, comfortable bed.
Heather, the owner couldn't have been more helpful.
We meet wonderful people at breakfast and the Saturday wine and cheese gathering where Heather also joined us and had lots of suggestions for meals and activities.

Stayed: September 2008
2  Thank CTEastCoast
Reviewed September 15, 2008

Well. Let me start out by saying we LOVED Nantucket. What a great little place to relax.

As for this particular B&B. Not so much.

Ill break this down by good and bads to keep it easy to read.

The Good:

Location is wonderful. Short walk from the dock.
Authentic Old House
Owner did small load of laundry for us (after asking to make sure it was small.)
Small guest refrigerator

The BAD:

Service (its non existent here. This is run more like a small and inpersonal hotel than a B&B. The owner has the feeling of "she cant wait to get away from talking to you". Not what we look for in a B&B.

Do not Disturb sign ignored. We travel with many valubles. When we returned to our room to find someone had been in it and made our bed when we had all of our personal items out ON the bed we were taken aback. This sign should be obeyed at all times, no matter where you stay.

Breakfast: Its continental, light continental. Left much to be desired but to their defense most B&Bs in Nantucket are this way.

Young boy that works at the inn, Heathers son I believe. We showed up to check in, he walked in, ignored us. Walked right by, outside, then back in. Still ignored us. Then finally Heather came out and greated us.

No Water, No Iced Tea, No snacks, No cookies. If your looking for any of this on a brisk afternoon so you can go sit outside and read and they wont be there. Sadly. This was very disappointing to us.

Bikes are there on the side of the house. We asked to use them but were denied. Heather said they belonged to guests. Upon closer inspection they had cob webs on them. So that story is unlikely.

Maintenance. This place needs some bug spray and a groundskeeper. You should not have to push bushes out of your way to get out to the back patio!

Amenities. There simply are none.

Overall I guess our thoughts on B&Bs is that we enjoy staying at them to get to meet people. This place does not encourage that and the entire time we would comment "why does this lady want to run a B&B if she does not want to be around us?

So that being said I cant leave this place a solidly good review or say we will ever return.

Advice for the owner: Take a trip and stay at some B&B's so you understand what they are about.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DiveDuo
Carlislehouseinn, Owner at The Carlisle House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2008

We strive to provide friendly, helpful service, to be responsive to all guest requests, and to respect our guests' privacy. We regret that this couple was not delighted with their stay, and wish they had let us know during the several times we spoke together during their two-day visit.

It is true that we do not rent bikes due to insurance and liability issues. Many guests either bring their own or rent from one of the many excellent bike rental companies on the island. We provide a bike rack where guests are welcome to lock their bikes, which is what we explain on our website and in person during check-in.

We do our best to provide opportunities for guests to mingle - our regular weekend wine and cheese parties are very popular, and conversation in the breakfast room is often lively! We tried offering lemonade and cookies but found that most people are away from the inn in the afternoons. Although we try to anticipate our guests' needs, we appreciate it when a guest lets us know if they would like something --afternoon tea, lemonade, early morning coffee--- we're always happy to oblige.

Reviewed August 23, 2008

I was delighted with my stay at this lovely Nantucket B and B on North Water St. It was a short walk from the ferry, the front door is always open. My second floor room was small but suitable for one. It was charming and clean with an air conditioner, cable tv and free internet access.

I enjoyed talking with Heather the owner/innkeeper and I especially loved the fresh pastries, muffins, coffee cake and scones that she baked and served every morning at the inn's quaint continental breakfast room and outdoor garden.

Heather was always willing to point me in the right direction, make a reservation and recommendations.

It was the best part of my visit to Nantucket!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo