“Soggy towels served at lunch”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of 27 Fair Street Inn

and 1 more site!
27 Fair Street Inn
Ranked #35 of 39 Nantucket B&B and Inns
New York
“Soggy towels served at lunch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2008

We have stayed a number of times at the Summer House Inns in Nantucket town, both on India St and on Fair St and we have always enjoyed our stays there. We agree with another reviewer who praised the ladies who cook the breakfast and clean the rooms. They are hardworking, courteous and efficient and have always been responsive to any request we have had. We have only good things to say about Susan Manolis, the reservation manager. She, too has always been so delightful to deal with and I was surprised to read a negative review about another customer's experience.

We have never eaten at the Beach Bistro in Sconset at the Summer House and decided to have lunch there on a lovely sunny day last week. The restaurant was fairly empty b/c it was late in the afternoon and we asked to be seated at a shady table. We were told we could choose any free table and when I pointed out to the host the shadiest one, he told me "No, not that one, it is reserved". PS, it remained empty throughout our entire lunch. The menu is rather limited and we settled on salads w/grilled chicken. The waiter returned after some time, and told us that the restaurant was "out of chicken"!! We chose another item from the menu and when the food finally arrived, it was served by a waiter who was also carrying soggy towels draped over one arm, as he placed our plates on the table with his free arm. How appetizing. He was smiling proudly as he served the lunch, so I guess that no one ever told him that this was a no-no.

The location is so beautiful, but location alone can not tempt us back. Some one has got to set some better standards, especially at those prices.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ackfan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Boston, ma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2008

I truly wish I was able to write a favorable review for the Siasconset property however my recent vist there was marked by an unfortuante experience which speaks volumes about the quality of service offered at this Inn.

My girlfriend and I visited the summer house in early july for three nights. I was planning on proposing to my girlfriend on the trip and i wanted to make it a memorable occasion so i booked one of the cottages out in Sconset. Everything was going fine on the trip until shortly after i proposed on our first evening there. we were on our way to dinner and the power suddenly went out in our cottage. it was only 7pm so i called the concierce as was recommended by the information book in the room. No answer but i left a message (the concierge is on duty until 8pm according to what i read). I called again 30 mins later before we headed out to dinner but again no answer so i called the "emergency-after hours number" and no answer there either. I decided to walk up the restaurant in the main building where i asked for the concierge (there is no front desk at the sconset property and the "concierge" basically runs the place). She wasnt around so i told the restaurant hostess of our power outage and she said she would make sure it was taken care of. Fast forward two and half hours and we are back from dinner....still no power in the room and all of the ground lights leading back to our cottage are out. I check with the hostess and she tells me someone is "working on it" and she recommends we have a seat at the bar. I then proceed to watch her scramble to alert all the bartenders, busboys, waiters, kitchen help, etc. of our issue and ask who can get our power back on. Now its very apparent that nothing had been accomplished for the past two plus hours while we were at dinner and i'm guessing no one was ever alerted to the fact we had no power. So to sit there and watch the pool bar help try to fix this was quite frustrating considering i had watched how ineffective they were at running the pool bar earlier in the day. As all this was going on, i struck up a conversation with the bartender and you should have seen his jaw drop when i told him this had been going on for 3 hours (he thought it just happened).......so obviously this was news to the staff as we were talking. Going on three plus hours, the restaurant hostess told me they cant find the fuse box so they are going to relocate me to another room. So after moving all of our luggage in complete darkness at 11pm, we moved into what we were told was the "best cottage". This might be true on certain days but this particular night it was not ready for occupancy (think dust, cobwebs, dead bugs on the window sills, etc).

While all of this might sound like the night from hell, we did our best to laugh it off and enjoy the fact that we just got engaged. What did bother me the most out of this whole situation is that I NEVER GOT A SINGLE APOLOGY FROM ANY MEMBER OF THE SUMMER HOUSE STAFF. When i checked out the next day (we moved to the summer house property in town) I handed in my keys to the concierge (who i was supposed to be on duty the night before and i left two messages for) she NEVER even acknowledged what happened the night before. NOTHING. NO ACKNOWLDEGEMENT THAT SHE NEVER RETURNED OUR CALL OR CHECKED HER MESSAGES.

I hope this paints a clear picure of the kind of place the summer house really is. It bills itself as a luxury, service oriented inn, but it is not even close. The staff is extremely incompetent, unprofessional and they lack the customer focus that is a trademark of the other five star inns on the island. A simple apology or acknoldgement of our trouble would have changed my view, but it never came.

Post Script: when i got home, i placed a quick call to the main summer house line hoping to get the GM. A very professional and polite person took down my info (she seemed geuniunely concerned about what happened) and told me I would be contacted. 3 weeks later, still no call, no apology.

• Stayed July 2008
4 Thank matt76

Travelers are raving about these Nantucket hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2008

The Summer House is a very special place but, it's not for everyone. Decidedly unpretentious, it is all about barefoot luxury. Want to get pampered by a hushed staff who bow and scrape, and hang with the wispering crowd, then this is not the place for you.

However, if you appreciate simple luxury and old world, bygone charm, well, then you might be on to something here.

It's been an Inn forever. It has 18 tiny, charming cottages which are ancient but, typically, in good repair. The gardens are beautiful and, with a little love, could be even more stunning. As for the cottages,they are cozy and charming. Some have fridges and kitchens...some don't. A fridge in each would be ideal. The bathrooms could use a little help - more water pressure and caulking in the usual places and some hooks to hang towels and wet swim suits would also be nice. At least they're clean and functional.

Each of the cottages are named...Francesca, Lily, Two Bells, Four Bells, Cutter and so on. Cute and beats being just another number. And, as with the names, each cottage is unique and oozing rustic character. The beds, linens, towels and robes are of very good quality and make for a cozy night's sleep.

The Inn sits on a bluff in Siasconset overlooking the Atlantic Ocean...It's an amazing spot. The main building, which houses the concierge and the famed Summer House restaurant, has killer views out to the ocean. It's an amazing spot to start, spend or end one's day. Below the bluff, the Inn has a pool and direct access to a spectacular beach where the staff will happily bring you chairs, umbrellas and whatever you want from the Bistr, which is located on the beach below the bluff.

Food at both restuarants is off the charts expensive but, generally, very good. Think of it as a location surcharge as there are not many other places on the island, or anywhere else for that matter, where one can sit and enjoy such beauty while eating, drinking and being served. The main restaurant bustles. A lively bar gets things going, as does the pianist who taps away at the ivories well into the night. The atomosphere is great...white on white with great views, hydrangias and more. Simple and very much alive.

The owners are around a fair amount and Chris Carlson, the sone, seems to be everywhere. He's a delighful guy and a gracious host. The Concierge - or manager - Michelle - is wonderful and happily goes about making one's stay delightful and carefree. The rest of the staff - and there seem to be hundreds of them - are all wonderful. The bartenders, waiters, pool staff and housekeeping team...all are warm, gracious and attentive and make for a relaxing stay.

If you want modern luxury, pristine facilities and an air of formality for the big money you will surely spend to stay you might be better off checking out the Wauwinet or the White Elephant. However, if you prefer to be remote, yet not isolated, and enjoy simple pleasures, this could be just the place.

• Liked — Cozy and Quaint in a spectacular location
  • Disliked — The bathrooms could be better...not fancy, just better done with higher water pressure
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BlueWaterTraveller
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2008

We stayed at the Summer House 18 years ago for a week and it was lovely. Recently we thought it would be nice to take our daughters to Nantucket for a week next summer. After reading these reviews I could not believe that it has become this bad so I decided to call the Summer House myself and ask directly to these points. I was stunned at how rude and offensive Susan Manolis (reservations) became. She seemed to not know how to answer any of the questions and then demanded to know my last name so she can look us up in her database. Why? When she couldn't find our name she accusingly stated so and then refused to answer any questions. If talking with them on the phone is this difficult, imagine what it must be like to have to call customer service during your stay with a problem. I will sadly have to find another place on the island to take our family next summer. I can tell you, this was at one time a great full service luxury resort. I can't say if these reviews are true but I can tell you that they are defensive in response to any questions regarding service level, room size, quality and amenities. I suppose the Wauwinet will be our choice of lodging.

• Disliked — The reservation staff is rude and ignorant
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Liz H
Knutsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2008

We didn't stay at the Summer House because we left it too late to book - but ventured out to lunch at the 'bistro' overlooking the sea.
The waiters were very friendly and efficient although the place is poorly served by a garrulous restaurant manager.
We witnessed two groups of customers - one a large group of golfers - reach incandescent levels of rage with the restaurant's inability to cope with the orders. The waiters did their best but someone really should tell the restaurant manager to remove his sunglasses and look at his guests when spouting his nonsense, particularly when they have been kept waiting 45 minutes for their starter.
Having read reviews of the accommodation they seem entirely consistent with restaurant. It is trading on punters who want to go where 'celebs' go and are willing to be put up with anything 'once'.
The restaurant seems unsure what it wants to be. It is expensive for an outdoor bistro $80 for a bottle of rose, $80 for a seafood platter. That said, the food is good if not outstanding and the view is pleasing. At the end of the day you are all at sea; you are left feeling that you paid 25% over the odds. This means it is a 'special occasions' place for those of most means and it simply isn't good enough for that category.

Stayed July 2008
3 Thank Philip C
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2008

I just got back from staying at the Summer House Inn on India Street. I chose the property for its location right in town and the fact that you still have access to the Summer House amenities in Sconset. Most importantly, there is a shuttle that takes you back and forth. Or so I thought...

When I got to the Inn, I saw my name on an envelope telling me what room I was staying in. The room was a nice size but tired with an extremely loud but functional air conditioning. The sheets and towels were clean but ripped or stain. The shower had water pressure if you wanted to keep pushing in and holding the shower button.

The two women who put out breakfast every morning and cleaned the rooms were lovely. And the continental breakfast was a very nice spread. Unfortunately, all the guests were continually complaining as the shuttle service was very sporadic. And when it did come, it would be full after picking up guests at the other properties. After paying $28 to take a cab out to the Sconset property, I went to see the Manager. Who promptly asked me what he could do about it if the shuttle only had 9 seats and why didn't I just go out and enjoy the pool? Talk about customer service.

The second day when we went to wait for the shuttle, the rest of the guests in the house just laughed at us. They had gotten smart and rented cars. Of course the shuttle did not show. When we called to find out where it was, we were told it was on its way to Sconset as there were only two available seats left. Funny, there were only two of us waiting. They then had the driver turn around and pick us up. And that is when we discovered they lied, as there were only two people on the shuttle. The owner had said they would meet us at the shuttle to discuss our discontent. Guess who never showed?

The property is in a great location but unfortunately the grounds have not been maintained, the outdoor shower didn't work and the hot tub was covered with overgrown plants on it.

A little elbow grease and a lot of customer service could go a long way.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Quality of service
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank MissTripNYC
Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2008

I am currently at the Summer House and felt compelled to write this review after notifying the manager that there is mice in my cottage. It was actually the final straw. For $600 you get a run down cottage with poor air conditioning and missing light bulbs. The grounds around the cottages are very poorly maintained. I understand the "understated" appeal of the Summer House but this is too much. Addtionally, if you want to sleep you will have to wait until after 1am when the reaturant settles down and the noise level subsides.

• Liked — The proximity to the beach
  • Disliked — The condition of the room.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo