“House of Blues”
Review of 27 Fair Street Inn

27 Fair Street Inn
Ranked #34 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Thank goodness my wife has a great sense of humor. A romantic weekend getaway turned into a disaster. Restaurant was filthy. Soiled seat cushions, unswept floors etc. Had to ask the staff to clean our area of dead bugs while I distracted my wife with a mid meal walk in the garden. Efforts to squeeze in too many tables left the restaurant so over crowded a set of Ken & Barbie dolls couldn't fit in to the first two tables they offred us. A loud and off key piano player made it difficult to enjoy a conversation.The food was ok but not remotely comparable to better alternatives on the isalnd. Our "suite" was on par with an easterm european youth hostle... complete with mildew, dust and aged linens. Apparently open mike night is a part of the ambiance they'd like to provide because the bar's piano man led drunken sing alongs well past 1:00am. The big close to it all; when it came time to get on with a new day and wash away the memories of a bad night, the shower handle fell off the wall in my hand. Save your money and your relationship and go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Finn505
SummerHouseMgmt, Manager at 27 Fair Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

I am sorry that your stay at the Summer House was not enjoyable. I am shocked and appalled to hear that you encountered unclean seat cushions and dead bugs in the restaurant, and I'm equally disappointed to hear that your suite was not up to par. You can be sure that I will address these issues immediately. I deeply apologize that your visit to the Summer House did not meet your expectations. I hope you will consider coming back for a much improved experience. Before you arrive, please email me at manager@thesummerhouse.com so that I can personally introduce myself and host you during your visit.

There are newer reviews for 27 Fair Street Inn

Reviewed July 15, 2013

The room and main areas were dirty and shabby. Shuttles to Beach ran infrequently and there was no information provided by the hotel as to other island travel options. Staff came and went as they pleased. When staff was available, they were beyond rude and unhelpful. What a joke to spend over $500 a night here! This place would be lovely if only there was some proper management!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else! Check the reviews before booking!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank A A
SummerHouseMgmt, Manager at 27 Fair Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are very sorry that you were unsatisfied with your stay. We train our staff to provide the highest quality service, and we are very disappointed to hear that they were not helpful and attentive. Your room should have been spotless. We apologize that you found your room to be dirty - this is inexcusable. We can assure you that this is not a common occurrence. Please contact us at reservations@thesummerhouse.com and we'll see to it that the quality of your next visit exceeds your expectations!

Reviewed July 5, 2013

After being warned by numerous natives, the Summer Horror House proved to be just that. I went into this smoke and mirror shamble with the idea of panning the summer gold. As a waiter who has seen it all, in years past, I once again witnessed the con job of no management and inappropriate tip handling maneuvers.
Waiters are required to add 20 per cent to the check of parties of 6 or more, with the requirement of telling the guest the tip has already been added. Based upon a pool system, the manager gets compensated and waiters or servers (in training) are "graciously" given part of it.
Since I wasn't given a specific number with my name attached, the response to my demand for tips owed was people who are training don't get tipped. They allowed me to work 4 shifts and refuse to grant those tips that some of you already paid. A scam that I am attacking civilly.
Very surprised to see how prominent the owner is concerning the U.S. court system.
I will be seeing you soon, Danielle..............................................................................................
Mutny

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank mutny007
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Horrible staff. Cleanliness is below par. I've never experienced such terrible service and uncleanliness. I toured the grounds and found it seriously below par. Look elsewhere. I recommend staying anywhere else on the island.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank Kalisunkat

I am sorry that your experience at the Summer House did not meet your expectations. It is absolutely inexcusable that the staff did not provide you with the highest quality service and ensure that your room was in tip-top condition. Please contact us via email at reservations@thesummerhouse.com so that I can directly address these concerns and ensure that your next visit is dramatically improved.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I didn't actually stay at summer house, just visited for drinks and toured the rooms. They were full of mothballs and spiders. The staff were rude and uninformed. Save your money and stay somewhere else!!'

• Stayed: June 2013
5  Thank Explorer3200

My apologies - I am very disappointed to hear that the staff was unhelpful and rude. This is certainly not the norm, but I can assure you that I have addressed the issue with staff members. I'm sorry that the quality of the rooms did not meet your expectations. Your feedback has been extremely helpful - I've done everything in my power to make sure that visitors never see a single mothball or spider! We hope you'll give the Summer House another try.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Returned a few weeks ago from a long weekend in Nantucket. It was our first visit to Nantucket and we were so pleased that we stayed at The Summer House Inn at 27 Fair Street. The Concierge, Evette went beyond the call of duty in helping us learn the lay of the land. She helped with maps, info. on bike rentals, and great dinner suggestions. We really can't say enough about the TLC she provided us with. We liked the Inn because of it's warmth, coziness and charm and it's great location. It was a wonderful home base from which we could ride our bikes all over the island. I'd recommend going on the Inn's website where you can take a peek at the different accomodations they offer. We stayed in the Dahlia Room which was located in the Garden House. It was lovely! We also had a wonderful complimentary continental breakfast each morning which started the day off right. Nantucket is truly a special place. Each section has it's own personality. Be sure to check out the whaling museum as well. Very informative & interesting!
Happy Travels!
~LMVO

Room Tip: Check out the website to see what room types are available.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We go to dinner here in the main building (Sconset)every year. Again this year it was great. Love the guy on piano. We actually went twice this year and ate just light bar fare at the bar the second time....both great.

But we also went to dinner down at the beach......ugh.......stay away. Absurd prices. Terrible food. Undercooked hamburger, warm oysters had to send them all back. Awful. Felt bad for the waiter.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family