“Nightmare on 'sconset”

Ranked #34 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Nightmare on 'sconset”
Reviewed November 13, 2007

I am a frequent traveler to Nantucket and have stayed at many hotels, B&B's and private houses on the Island. In general, I would not be critical of a hotel that was a "you get what you pay for" property, but the Summer House tries to bill itself as one of the premier properties on the Island and it just doesn't live up to its billings. We just stayed one night because we wanted to see the Pops at the end of our vacation. The room was $650 for one evening which I would tolerate if it were any good, but the room was a tired old room with air conditioning that barely functioned and was not worth the price even in season on a weekend night. There was a little grassy area in front of cabin with two adirondak chairs (even though the room was a two bedroom for four people). When we sat out on the grass, we became aware that there was a big piece of dog crap on the lawn. Since we wanted to watch the sun set over 'Sconset, we asked the guest relations woman to find someone to clean it up. At least one-half hour later, someone came to clean it up and instead of picking the thing up and hosing down the lawn, he just scooped it up with a shovel, leaving the stinky remnants on the unwashed grass. Though the dog crap was gone, the smelly leftovers attracted many flies and kind of ruined the moment.

The restaurant is not very good. All restaurants on the Island tend to be quite expensive, so you may as well go to a good one. The restaurant at the Summer House is as expensive as any, but is no better than a Bugaboo Creek or Outback Steakhouse. There are much better restaurants in town (American Seasons, for example which has been operating in Town for years is an excellent, unpretentious restaurant that remains consistent from year to year) or, of course, Topper's Restaurant at the Wauwinet (bring your wallet).

There are not a lot of choices out in 'Sconset and maybe that is why the Summer House is so underwhelming. It could be a beautiful hotel, but it will take a lot of work to bring this place up to speed.

• Stayed August 2007
7 Thank Powisset

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Virginia
Reviewed August 11, 2007

My husband and I just returned from our first trip to Nantucket. We stayed four nights at the summer house. There are several places to stay on Nantucket that are associated with the Summer House. We stayed at the cottages about 8 miles out of town in an adorable seaside village called Siasconset. The village was our highlight. It is about a two minute walk from the cottages. There is not much there, just a post office, a couple great places to eat breakfast and lunch and a four star restaurant called the Chanticleer. A very cool general store and a couple other small shops, and a place they call the casino where there is a movie theater, tennis, and other activities are headquartered there. no gambling.
The cottages at the summer house are cozy, cute, clean, and I loved the Mr. Ed doors, it you are old enough to remember Mr. Ed. If you stay there, ask for one that is off the path to the dining room where the main building is. I was told not to stay in one that was next to the dining room and now I believe that to have meant any of the cottages that lined the path up to the dining room. The reason it was a problem is because they were SOOOO loud every night. Just people having a good time at dinner and afterwards, but honestly if was deafening until at least 1:00 every morning. If you are a people watcher, you would love staying along the path. People flowing in and out coming to dinner all evening long. The only other complaint was not enough hot water, sometimes none at all. We felt very safe there, in fact we never locked our doors. I know that sounds crazy, but it was the feeling we got from the place. The owner was there constantly and we felt good about that. He kept things moving. Tracey, the concierge, did her best to make what you wanted happen. Having a pool was nice. It won't open until about 10:00 or 11:00, so don't expect an early morning swim.
Of course, we went there knowing Nantucket is expensive and knowing that we would have received the red carpet treatment for most places you stay that cost that much. However, we were looking for something different. The dinner at the summer house was excellent. Possibly the best we had on the island. We also went to the Chanticleer in Siasconset, and Toppers at the Waiwunet, and The White Elephant. I would try so local recommendations if we returned.
Only other suggestion: If you fly in by Cape Air and they "loose" your luggage they will be in no hurry to deliever it to you. Our luggage arrived at the airport less than an hour after we left for our hotel and they did not have it delievered until at least 4 hours later, and it is about a 20 minute drive. That was after many phone calls. We learned their policy is to deliver within four hours after their taxi picks them up. Had we know this, we would have taken a taxi back and got them ourselves. As everything is on Nantucket, a cab is $20 to $25 minimum cost.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank oliver1tahoe
New Jersey
Reviewed July 16, 2007

When I pay $700 a night, I expected Four Seasons quality service, comfort, mattress, linens, etc... This place is SO not worth $700 per night - it's really rediculos that they get away with what they charge. The concerige was extremely nice, helpful and wonderful and provided us with excellent service. Breakfast was just OK, coffee was excellent but that is not worth $700 a night. When I first saw my so called cottage, I thought to myself "THIS IS IT, YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING". The beach should have been cleaned as well. I just think for this amount of money, they really need to kick it up a notch - go buy the most expensive, comfortable mattress on the planet, get the lush expensive sheets, great each guest with a rose, do more to warrant these outrageous room rates - come on!.

• Liked — the concerige
  • Disliked — the outrageous price for what I actually got
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JEM2002

Travelers are raving about these Nantucket hotels

chicagp
Reviewed July 8, 2007

My incredible girlfriend took me here for my birthday this past weekend! What a place for a special occasion or heck just what a place. I must say the place is an amazing escape to a charming world of paradise. The Summer House at Sconset offers an amazingly intimate/romantic, classy, and breathtaking get away! The staff was friendly and helpful. You pretty much never have to leave the grounds if one chooses not to. Beautiful private extensive beach, pool, food, and bikes all right at your finger tips. Plus if you walk/bike around the area a little the surrounding homes only add more marvel to the experience. I can not wait until next summer! Wow- the trip of a lifetime especially if you really love your sigificant other.

• Liked — The whole setting. The greatness of the individual parts does not come close to equal the greatness of the whole place combined!
  • Disliked — I need to make more $ so i can afford to stay longer! Nothing bad. Just great! And even if something bad were to happen you would be so relaxed you would just roll with it!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 2bell
Southern Cook Islands, Cook Islands
Reviewed May 30, 2007

Get over the price.... You won't find a cooler spot anywhere on the island. Let your hair down!

The employees are very kind. The food is excellant. The bartenders are great.

Remeber your on an island. So expect to pay more.
You won't find marble bathrooms and super fancy rooms. But you will find great beds and linens. You will find relaxation.
You will also find that folks come from all over the island to sit at the bar and look at the ocean and then dine with blankets wrapped around...... Just a very cool, very expensive down to earth place......... And get over the price...... They have three months to cover there nut!!!!!!

Stayed June 2006
Switzerland
Reviewed March 31, 2007

We stayed at the Summer House hotel last August with our three and a half year old son. For US$ 995 a night, we arrived to an extremely small cottage with a broken screen door and a shower that barely worked. For the buffet breakfast, there was rarely a member of staff available to replenish the food. When I asked room service one evening to please come a bit later, I was answered by a rather rude grunt. The owners never greeted the guests. The only redeeming factor was the lovely student/manager from Bulgaria who offered to carry our baggages to our cottage (no porters) and generally did what she could to try to make the stay pleasant. The pool area is tiny and the beach area near the hotel was covered with flotsam and jetsam like old plastic plumbing pipes. We were very misled by their website and would hope to save others from the same fate. One can surely find a better hotel for a thousand dollars a night!

5 Thank GenevaSwitzerland
Scituate, Mass
Reviewed July 21, 2006

Myself, my wife and 2 kids stayed at their Fair Street property during the second week of July. We paid nearly $500 a night for the "Heather Suite" I can not tell you how dissapointed we were when we walked into a second floor attic type space that they called a suite. There were so many issues with the so called suite(10" tv that didn't work, used soap in bathroom, etc.) that I could not possibly write them all down. I feel the need to warn all trip advisor users that the Summer House rooms, suites and cottages are the tiniest rooms on the island. They should be embarrased charging Ritz Carlton rates at their Fair Street dump. Do not be deceived like we were by the pictures on their website.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family