“Sorry, Boring! :(”
Review of Barrett's Tours

Barrett's Tours
Ranked #4 of 32 Tours in Nantucket
More attraction details
Owner description: Take a ride in one of the air-conditioned coaches of Barrett's Tours. Relax in comfort as you are guided through Nantucket's past. Barrett's guides will show you the island in full, and in comfort.
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I was looking forward to a tour of Nantucket. Chester, the the driver was really nice and knowledgeable. Before I decided to take the tour, I asked him if he stops for pictures. He says he makes stops for pictures so I figured I'd be taking plenty of pictures of beautiful Nantucket. WRONG! He only stopped once and that was to take a picture of a lighthouse on a golf course. The whole trip was him driving around and showing us residential houses and the beach. I remember seeing a windmill on someone's property that he talked about, and an old firehouse, and the old school which is someone's house but he never stopped and let us get out to take pictures. So I had to take the pictures from inside a moving van. So needless to say a lot of my pictures are blurry and have window glare. And unless you are in the front seat of the van or in first seat that has front window view then this tour is not worth it.

I kept waiting for him to show me something exciting, something of real interest but it never came. And I travel all over and takes lots of tours and I was left feeling this was just a fair tour that they tried to make do with what the island had which is not much. It would have helped if he let us out of the van to take pictures of the beach and scenery at least.

I should have just walked around the town and saved my money but even there there wasn't much to do unless you're into fancy and high priced designer shops. Of course it would be since the smallest house on the island starts at $1,000,000.

Nantucket is beautiful but very quiet. I thought I'd be there the whole day but I got there at 9am, took tour at 9:30am, and wound up taking the 3:15pm ferry back to Hyannis. I would have taken one earlier had I known the times. I was set on leaving at 6 thinking there'd be so much to do and see on Nantucket but there isn't really, at least not for me.

7  Thank Fallon27Yonkers
"day trip"
in 5 reviews
"grist mill"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
"ferry dock"
"driver"
in 18 reviews
"chester"

Reviewed November 17, 2010

the tourist info office recommended this tour to us (another tour operator tried to convince us not to go!) but, if you're only on the island for a few hours as we were, I think a self-guided walking tour (maps from same office) is a much more interesting way to spend your time; was sorry I didn't have more time to wander around the town. ok for someone who just wants to sit and veg out rather than go discovering and get a feel for the place.

6  Thank zizzles
Reviewed July 26, 2008

We went to the pick up point which is outside the tourist office in Nantucket Town. The tours are twice daily. One is at 11:45 (I think, best to check that), and the one we took was at 13:45. We arrived at the meeting point to see the previous tour disembark. Chester, the driver and guide came off the coach and we got talking - chit chat about this and that, telling him where we came from, talked about the price of fuel etc. Anyway, the time of the tour came, and there were no other takers. We said to Chester that with us being the only two people, that we would totally understand if he didn't want to run the tour. He said it was nonsense, and we'd come all the way from England so he would take us around.

We got on his coach, which was nicely air conditioned and got on our way. We were taken to all the notable places on the island, and also to some off the beaten track places, including a street where the houses have bizarre names! We were also taken to the cranberry bogs, where Chester explained how the cranberries are harvested each year and had photos to show the different activities.

As a keen photographer himself, Chester would point out good photo opportunities and also mention which lens would give you the best shot! The coach stopped at a number of places, where we could get off and take photos.

The tour itself was so personal to our guide. He said he had done the tours on his coaches for over 50 years, and has lived on Nantucket Island all his life, so he knows it all and has seen it all. When he was a boy going to school, the population was around 3000, now it is over 10000.

If you have a short amount of time on Nantucket Island you must do this tour. There are other tours which are advertised in the tourist office, but this one was the best, as we wanted an authentic experience with an authentic driver. We can't recommend this tour enough!

12  Thank Señorita_Kate