“Getting What You Pay For”

La Quinta Inn Auburn Worcester
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Auburn
“Getting What You Pay For”
Reviewed September 29, 2008

We stayed at this property for two nights.

First, let me say that the (older) woman working the breakfast area is a true mother; assisting the hoard of high school students that didn't have a clue how things worked... Mamá, Usted diserve toda la alabanza!

The sheets are nice and new and fresh with the option for daily or three day change. The bed was new and very comfortable with fabulous faux down pillows (on our king bed). All the other furniture seemed to be relatively the same from the past decade but not bad by any means (after all, it's a hotel not a home).

Housekeeping did not have an eye for detail. There was obviously visible mold on the shower curtain and missed spots of "dired on schmutz" in small crevasses of the furnature. I even turned the shower curtain inside out to make the moldy spots easily visible and they were still ignored and the curtain remained untouched (not reversed). The carpet had several stains but seemed vaccummed regularly. (When you have hundreds of careless and unconcerned people sharing the same rented living space you can't controll what they do. I.e. - people smoke in non-smoking rooms, burning cigarette holes in carpets, spilling wine and cool-aid without cleaning it up, leaving behind all kinds of human "who knows what" everywhere... ...you should always wear slippers in you hotel room... there's only so much housekeeping can do.) Regardless of all this, housekeeping should be more attentive to the "crusty bits" in furnature crevasses left behind by renters. (Keeping track of such thing is, by the way, the responsibility of the head housekeeper...) Also, we had a fridge. It was not very clean. Obvious mold in the freezer and in the bottom of the fridge... a little baking soda, water and a few minutes... that's all it takes.

Maintenance, if there is any one regularly employed, needs an overhaul. Outlet plate that doesn't set flush with the wall because the plug was forced into place incorrectly; a tub that has a dip that doesn't fully empty because it is lower than the drain, causing the tub to stain (housekeeping should be informing them of the room needs so that repairs can be made); halway doors leading outside the building that don't latch to provide that added security during the night... needs some work...

Regardless of housekeeping and maintenance issuses, the hotel manager should be active on regularly checking on hotel quality. You can blame all the staff, but, in the end, it is the GM and/or Hotel Manager that needs to take the time to randomly review guest services provided. Even if you trust your staff, you are still the one holding all the responsibility for your product.

All-in-all, the front desk staff was effecient and proffesional, the continental breakfast offered plenty to start the day, we got the room at a great rate by calling and haggling with the hotel directly and we got what we expected - a hotel room for two nights. I will stay here again and would reccommend this hotel for traveling families as well as those looking for frugal deals. It all balances out for the deal you get.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Atentiveness to cleanliness detail...
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank RedCat01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Connecticut
Reviewed September 5, 2008

We chose the La Quinta because it was the least expensive place to stay in the Worcester area. We booked online on the LQ.com site and paid $65 for the night. Not only was it a good value, but the room was very clean and the beds very comfortable. I tried to book a room for another upcoming trip, but the price shot up to $120 a night. I don't think it's worth that price, so I booked The Days Inn in Shrewsbury at $68/nite (review to come).

Reasons to NOT stay at this La Quinta: If you are sensitive to cigarette smoke. Even though our room was non-smoking, you could still smell it in the carpets and curtains, and in the hallways. Also, the employees and guests stand right outside the front doorway to smoke, so there is no escaping it. And don't stay here if you can't tolerate older plumbing fixtures. The toilets and showers are NOT modern and efficient, but they do the job.

DO STAY here if you can get a good price and all you need is a cozy bed and clean room. The free breakfast is not too bad - it had the usual fare and also included hardboiled eggs and yogurt.

There is a seafood restaurant across the parking lot from the hotel with excellent food and reasonably priced. Nice to be able to just walk over and not get back in the car to travel.

• Liked — Clean and beds very comfortable
  • Disliked — cigarette smoke
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed July 28, 2008

We stayed here for a weekend wedding. The main reason we chose LaQuinta instead of the hotel the couple booked was so that we could bring our dog. We didn't have to pay extra or anything- no problems bringing her on her first trip! We didn't leave her there when we weren't around, but they didn't say we couldn't or anything so it probably would've been fine. We also didn't have to pay extra for a third person staying in the room.

We were hardly in our room, and fell asleep as soon as we got in each night, so I can't say if it was noisy or anything. We thought the rooms were clean, the beds comfortable enough, and everything was in working order. It is obviously an older hotel, I stayed there like 10 years ago or so when it was a Baymont, but it was fine for us for the weekend, and I felt it was a great deal.

• Liked — Price, allowed pets, across highway from mall and close to the high school (for running)
  • Disliked — back and side entrances didn't work, older building could use renovations.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cmugal
Bridgeport, CT
Reviewed March 21, 2008

The room itself was fine; clean and comfortable. King room had a chair w/ottoman, comfortable desk. Staff was friendly. Wireless internet was spotty and not strong on the third floor when it worked. Elevator was out of order. Lobby coffee wasn't particularly well stocked. Room faced the highway, which was loud at times (not distracting to me, but I'm used to noise). The price was right this time, but I wouldn't rush back.

• Liked — Rooms - clean, comfortable
  • Disliked — Internet was off and on
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank BPTtraveler

Travelers are raving about these Auburn hotels

Southington, CT
Reviewed December 7, 2007

First off, I highly recommend booking off the LaQ website for the weekend specials, if that suits one's travel plans. My only quibble with this hotel was that I found the bed hard. That's it. I liked the location, the staff, enjoyed the atmosphere there (weekend travelers -- great to see pets at a hotel, plus I heard no barking, etc.) You're a close drive to the Auburn Mall, with basic food court dining but no sit-down restaurants. But there are restaurants down the road a bit on either side of the restaurant. I wouldn't recommend staying here without a car. It was great for one night and for budget travel.

• Liked — Price and convenience
  • Disliked — Hard bed
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank ShowHorseFan
Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 5, 2007

This facility is going to be renovated -- it's an old Baymont and the room numbers are labels over the Baymont signs...a bit tacky <g> It's short enough drive to the DCU center (about 5-10 minuted).

Room was clean and comfortable, though it was supposed to have a recliner, it wasn't there. ;-(

After the renovations (which I was told would be extensive) I would try staying there again. As it was, it wasn't bad for the money (about $69 + tax) and I'd stay again

• Liked — clean with a convenient location
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank tervs
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 6, 2005

I bi-annually visit Auburn and often usually at the Baymont. The hotel is one of the lowest priced in the area and I find it suits my needs.

The rooms are on the larger side and the breakfast is larger than most complimentary continental breakfasts. The restaurant in the same lot is great for a late Saturday night meal or snack.

My last visit turned me off to the hotel.

The room was not as clean. The bed linens and blankets were dirty. I had to go to the front desk at midnight to request new sheets. I, eventually got them, but it took a while.

The most important thing for me in a hotel, is cleanliness. My last experience at the Baymont has led me to pay more for another hotel in the area for my trip in June. I will continue to read reviews and might try it again next year.

• Stayed June 2004, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auburn
Comfort Inn Auburn-Worcester
Holiday Inn Express Auburn
Fairfield Inn & Suites Worcester Auburn
Quality Inn & Suites Worcester
Hampton Inn Auburn
Hampton Inn Auburn
#1 of 5 in Auburn
Hampton Inn & Suites Worcester

Been to La Quinta Inn Auburn Worcester? Share your experiences!