“Boy have they changed”

Chuck's Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
Chuck's Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 49 Restaurants in Auburn
Cuisines: Italian, American
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Rt 20
Dudley, Massachusetts
“Boy have they changed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

IT used to be a nice place to go for that special night out, now they are charging more and giving less! The salad/soup bar was a big draw, it now costs more to add on and if you want a "lighter" meal then they charge you even more for it! Outrageous.
Sad when a chain such as Longhorns can far out do an old favorite.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Em W

Worcester, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

We went last night to eat before going to the lounge to listen to the band. I wanted some good Mexican, it didn't happen. the taco combo with one beef and one chicken taco was not good. The beef taco was ok, warm and spicy, however no salsa or sour cream accompanied it. The chicken taco had cold chunks of chicken breast, lettuce and tomato...absolutely no seasoning whatsoever, not acceptable. the Chili I ordered came after the tacos were serve, weird, and had a very strange taste, again not good. My BF had a burger and it was good and cooked to order. Next time if we are going for the entertainment we might do apps, but not dinner. Very disappointing.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank auntsueboo
Saint John, Canada
“Ate here twice in a week.......”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

This restaurant was within walking distance of the Marriott Fairfield, and after a long day of driving, that was great.

Food was fine and service was fine, too.

No complaints.

Visited May 2013
Central Massachusetts
“Uneventful”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Went on an in-busy Thursday for the salad bar. The salad bar has gone up outrageously in price and is now almost $13. The difference, to relieve the pain, is they added a potato - you can get mashed, fries, baked or pilaf. This made NO sense to me, but it is what it is.
We split the eggplant rolotini appetizer - it was enormous. The sauce was very bland, the cheeses relied heavily on ricotta which made it too soft and runny. The eggplant was a little over fried - would never get it again. I left half of mine.
The soup and salad bar are always reliable with nice crusty bread. That nights soups were onion and chicken noodle - both so salty I could not finish them.
My baked potato was soggy and over done. Hubby's French fries were from packaged.
The waitress was good and refilled our sodas without asking but didn't inquire why so much went unfinished - maybe she sees a lot of that at the salad bar though - but I usually eat what I take.
May try it again someday but not planning on it - we liked the salad bar here as an inexpensive, light supper, but it is now overpriced for what you get.
The menu says the sdlad bar is $4 extra with a meal.
Not a bad experience, just disappointing.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank jrk53
Boston, MA
“Done being disappointed.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

Sadly, I need to post a negative review. Which I rarely do as I worked in hospitality for over a decade so I tend to roll with things and focus on what businesses do well.

I have been going to Chucks for almost 40 years with my family.

I feel as though it has continuously been going downhill.
But I have keep returning hoping I had just gone there on an "off night."

First off...the staff, although helpful seem almost sad or unhappy. I think they are frustrated if I had to guess.

The food has been getting worse. The salad bar, a Chucks staple is still the same-good. They have fresh soft bread as well. But the onion soup, also a Chucks staple....was terribly salty.

They have been trying to add items to their menu, which I appreciate. I ordered the PEI mussels. They were overcooked. The wine and garlic they were served in was too thick and was also insanely salty. There was toasted bread served with it which is common. All four pieces were toasted but two were burnt. Not just the pretty grill lines...actually burnt black through.

The prime rib, was still good. Which I think is their saving grace. But the prices overall are high for what you get.

I feel like the kitchen churns out the food without tasting the recipes.

The atmosphere no longer feels like a sort of dark, old school steak house...in a good way.
Just sad, over priced food.

Overall I feel like I am saying good bye to an old friend.

They just are not like they used to be.

This past visit was officially my last visit.

• Visited May 2013