“Great! But no wake-up call”

Holiday Inn Express Auburn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Auburn
Reviewed April 8, 2014

The hotel was great . The room were clean and comfortable. The breakfast was adequate. However, there is a problem with their telephone system and some people on their staff.
I attempted to use the telephone in the room to schedule a wake-up call. Their telephone had a wake-up call button and also a message waiting button. When I attempted to use the wake-up button which I thought was an automated system, I got message waiting. I called the front desk and made them aware that this function was not working and I needed a 7:00 A.M. wake-up call. The front desk attendant said that he would take care of the call and in fact told me I was all set.
For some reason I looked at my watch at 7:15 in the morning and discovered no wake-up call. This created a little bit of a problem since my wife and I had to leave early to attend a function and we didn't want to be late. When I mentioned this to the staff at the front desk they indicated to me after they apologized that the button on the phone doesn't work, they don't have that feature. There is in fact no wake-up call capacity. The question is-Why an up to date hotel like the Holiday Inn Express does not have this feature, but has it on its phone and it doesn't work.
Why did the person at the front desk tell me I was all set? In fact the phone in the room should not have a button that indicates wake-up call. I can't be the first person to discover this misinformation. My advice--it's a great place to stay, but bring your own alarm clock.

Room Tip: Bring your own wake-up call.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Douglas A, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Auburn, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review. We take any and all feedback very seriously. I would like to first off thank you for your kind words. We're glad to see you like our hotel. Now for the bad part! I want to personally and sincerely apologize for what you went through. It is definitely not the quality of stay that we strive to achieve. I am going to reeducate all of the staff when it comes to wake up calls. We do have both the functionality to do it at the desk and the guests have the ability to set it in the room and I'll be sure the staff all know it and how to do it. If you wish to discuss this further you can always either give us a call or you can contact me at dadams@roedelcompanies.com. Thank you very much for your time and your business. We hope to see you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Auburn

Reviewed March 18, 2014

When I am in the Worcester area, I generally stay at this property. I was welcomed back as a returning guest and as a member of the IHG Club. The check in was smooth and easy. The room was clean, quiet and perfectly heated. The property is well kept and clean in the common areas. I will stay here again on my next trip to the area.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Hello and thank you for your time! We appreciate the feedback you have given us! I'm so happy to see that you had such an excellent stay! It's definitely what me and every other member of the staff strives to deliver and we're glad we did. We definitely hope we see you again in the future! We'd love to have you! Once again, thank you ever so much!

Reviewed March 6, 2014

this is my second stay here (and my second review), first time it came close to a 5...maybe a 4 1/2...this time a 4 or maybe even a little less. One of the issues remains and that is the fluctuating water temp in the shower, not sure how they resolve that. This time, climate controls worked fine unlike the previous time. However, now I have two more issues. Stayed on a Friday night, Saturday morning went down for breakfast and there was very little remaining. We weren't the last ones down as at least a dozen more people came after us. Hot foods had not been replenished in a while. The woman working the breakfast kept taking empty food trays out, but rarely returned with anything more. It was a Saturday morning people, the hotel was "busy" (as I was told my the front desk clerk when I checked in). Obviously very poor planning on someone's part. Understand, I don't choose my hotels because they offer breakfast, but when they do they should do it right or not at all. This was a little surprising as it was just over a year ago I stayed, again on a Friday night/ Saturday morning and the breakfast was well cared for. Second issue this time was the plowing of the parking lot, very poorly done. I realize that it has been a long and snowy winter (I too live in the northeast), but to not have snow trucked out is uncalled for. Because of the poor plowing, parking spaces were only about 75% of the length they should be making for extremely narrow corridors for cars to pass through and making it difficult to get in and out of parking spaces. All that being said, I would stay again because the hotel is comfortable, clean, quiet and friendly. Typically the price is good too!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Douglas A, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Auburn, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2014

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to fill out such an extensive review! We appreciate the feedback! I'm very sorry to hear that we didn't live up to the expectations that you had from a previous stay. I will definitely be passing what you have to say about the breakfast to management. We definitely don't want people to have a negative experience just because we are busy! As for the plowing in the parking lot. We did discuss with our plow company better ways we can tackle this issue. Due to the fact that we can't use salt and we're up on a hill it's sometimes hard to manage when we get multiple storms! I'm sorry that this inconvenienced you. We're always trying to come up with ways to make things better. I do thank you for giving us your perspective on it, we will use this information to make your next stay better. Well once again I would like to thank you for your time and you business. If you'd like to further discuss anything I can be reached at my email, dadams@roedelcompanies.com. Thank you very much and I hope to see you again!

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Stayed for a night while husband had business in town. Front desk staff were friendly, the rooms were very clean and the breakfast was phenomenal! Sausage gravy and biscuits!? Say what? I highly recommend this hotel & considering I've been all over the US at hotels...this is by far one of the best I've had the chance to stay at.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank awilliamsx
Douglas A, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Auburn, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Hello!

Thank your for taking the time and effort to write us such a kind review! It is an honor that someone who travels as much as that would deem us one of the best hotels they've stayed at. That is truly something we are proud of. All of the staff, from the friendly Front Desk to the sausage gravy serving Breakfast Attendant we're all here to deliver A+ service. We're glad that you satisfied with the result! Once again, thank you so much for taking the time and effort to fill this out and we definitely hope to see you again!

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Upon check in was greeted by Zachary...very nice friendly person, made us feel welcomed. Room was big & bed was comfortable. Breakfast items consisted of: eggs, bacon, cereals, fruits, juices, breads, coffee, etc. Unlike some other Holiday Inns, this location had scrambled eggs instead of the folded over egg with cheese in the middle. Only issue we had was with highway noise. Since the room was big, it had a lot of windows which were not sound proof to prevent noise from getting in. Other then that our stay was enjoyable & would stay here again, but would request a room away from the highway.

Room Tip: Select room away from the highway
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank 1travelingDad

Hello!

First off let me thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review. We appreciate any and all feedback. I have passed on your kind words to Zach. It's good to see that when we deliver good service it is appreciated! We're glad that you were satisfied with the choices you had a breakfast time. After all it is the most important meal of the day! We're sorry about the highway noise. Next time you're in the area please stop on by and you can request a quieter room and our staff will do our best to do that for you. Once again, thank you for your time and business and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We came to see our grandson swim at NMAC and were very impressed with the friendliness and attention to detail that Zachary extended to us. He remembered our requests and fulfilled them with a smile and very courteously. He is an asset to this facility and made our stay great.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Paul R

Hello!

Thank you so much for writing a review. Zach has seen your kind words and very appreciative of them. Him, just like everyone else on staff, works very hard to deliver top notch service. We're glad that Zach was able to do that for you! We hope that if your grandson has another swim meet in the area we're fortunate enough to have you with us again. Thank you very much for your time and I hope you have a wonderful day!

Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here at the Holiday Inn Express, and the accomodations were clean and nice. But what really made my stay special was the staff. In particular- Zachary went out of his way to assist and accomodate. He was so pleasant and friendly, and made my stay a real treat. He offered great suggestions for restaurants.

All hotels should have employees this professional and fabulous!!

thanks Zachary!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Douglas A, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Auburn, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

Hello! Thank you very much for taking the time to leave positive feedback! We're very excited to see your kind words about Zach. He really is an asset to the desk staff here and an all around excellent guy! I will definitely pass along these kind words to him so that he knows his hard work and dedication pays off. Once again, thank you very much for writing a response and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Auburn
Hampton Inn Auburn
Hampton Inn Auburn
#1 of 5 in Auburn
Fairfield Inn & Suites Worcester Auburn
Comfort Inn Auburn-Worcester
La Quinta Inn Auburn Worcester
Holiday Inn Express Worcester Downtown
Hampton Inn & Suites Worcester

Been to Holiday Inn Express Auburn? Share your experiences!