“The Auburn location is really in Oxford/Auburn - a bit disappointing compared to Brookfield”
Review of The Clam Box - CLOSED

The Clam Box
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Our group of three went to the Clam Box for an early dinner tonight, for the third time this summer for their wonderful extra-long lobster rolls and onion rings. We did not, however, visit the Clam Box in Brookfield this time, but rather their location in Auburn. Let me start off by saying that the Auburn location’s ambience does not resemble the Brookfield location in any way. First of all, Auburn’s “dining room” does not have that “clam shack” atmosphere that Brookfield’s does, and Auburn does not have an outdoor dining option, as Brookfield does. Oddly, the rearmost portion of the “Auburn” dining room is reserved for non-drinkers only (of alcoholic beverages that is). This segregation is defined by a poorly-executed cardboard rendition of a Massachusetts town line sign, which hangs above the entrance to this tee totaling area (it reads: “Entering Auburn - No alcohol across town line,” which means that the “drinkers” are actually sitting in Oxford, right on the Oxford/Auburn line [strange]). We assume that this segregation exists because the owners did not wish to incur the expense of another liquor license from the Town of Auburn.

Now for the food: While the lobster rolls were packed with succulent claw and knuckle meat, light on the mayo, with only a sprinkling of chiffonade iceberg tucked into the well-buttered and grilled New England-style roll (as good as the ones we enjoyed in Brookfield), we cannot say the same for the onion rings. While the batter was as tasty and light in texture, they were saturated in grease toward the end of the order, sitting in a pool of oil in the paper container. Yuck!

Service was abyssal. Although the restaurant was practically deserted at the time we arrived, we waited for nearly 30 minutes for our food to arrive. Our server was apologetic, explaining that there were only 2 employees on when there should have been 3.

While the drive to the Oxford/Auburn location of the Clam Box is, actually, a shorter ride for us, coming from Leicester, we will make the longer trek to Brookfield to enjoy our lobster rolls and onions rings next summer.

1  Thank lynninma

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Had lunch there the other day and ordered one-half pint of fried clams and onion rings. Delicious! The clams were prepared just right, crispy and very tasty. Also the portion I was served was huge and overflowed the container. The same can be said of the onion rings. This was my first visit to the Clam Box and I will definitely return. I usually go to Ronnie's, a similar seafood restaurant across the street on Route 20, but it is open only Thurs-Sun, Nonetheless, the Clam Box is better. Don't pass up the Clam Box in Auburn if you are a seafood lover.

1  Thank Les F
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Found this place by accident. Parking lot was packed at lunch time. figured food had to be good. and it did not disapoint us You order at the counter they call your number and you pick up and clean up. Not a china plate place but its great sea food.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

My parents took me here for lunch, had the Bay Scallops Plate (it's under the Sailor's Plates and it comes with you main seafood or chicken, french fries or potato chips & slaw) You put your order in and the girls come and deliver the food to your table. I can't wait to go back home so that I can go here again. OMG it was so good, you get plenty to eat.
My brother came up from PA and he wanted a piece of fish, so we went here again, he got the wicked big haddock fish, mother got clam strip plate, father got wicked big fish & chip and I got bay scallops plate yummy, He loved it as much as I did.
My mother & I shared, she took half of my scallops and I took half of her clams. You can't find good seafood in Texas.