“breakfast and country store in ashfield, ma”

Elmer's Country Store & Deli
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Ashfield
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Wilmington, Massachusetts
“breakfast and country store in ashfield, ma”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Elmers is a pleasant small breakfast, brunch and lunch (and an occasional dinner) restaurant and store off the beaten path in Ashfield, MA. The breakfast dishes are typical except they do try to use locally produced materials. For Sale Breads are freshly baked and delivered by bicyle frequently (we saw the woman carrying the breads on a bicyle!). Breakfast is relaxed and varied. Typical breakfast fare (omelets and eggs over easy) are done well and delivered to your table hot. Service is very good, but our waitress forgot my orange juice on one of our two visits. Prices were not inexpensive, but not too expensive either. A quaint off the beaten path spot to stop for a comfortable breakfast or other meal. We only had breakfast there. Breakfast for two included 2 eggs over easy and an omelet, sides of bacon, fresh bread, home fries, never-ending coffee and OJ. Price was about $25 not including tip. Don't dress up for this place. Lots of locals there as well as tourists. Elmers is also the Breakfast portion of a bed and breakfast across the street (the Inn at Norton Hill).

• Visited April 2012

“Our favorite breakfast place!”
Reviewed March 17, 2012 via mobile

This is a must visit and just the ride here along 116 is well worth while. Elmer's great atmosphere, the friendly staff, the delicious food - we keep coming back and have not been disappointed so far! Everything on the menu is good, i particulary like the three grain bread, the home fries, and the pancakes. The portions are very generous so think an extra time and make sure that you are very hungry before you order 3 pancakes...

“Best breakfast ever!”
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We went to this place for breakfast on recommendation and our high expectations were exceeded!! The atmosphere, the staff, the food, the fooooood - ashby, just try it for yourself, I guarantee you will not regret it. You may want to consider how much you order in, the portions are very genrous (I cannot do more than one pancake)

Western Massachusetts
“Elmer's Store-A Hidden Hilltown Gem With Great Breakfasts”
Reviewed September 3, 2010

While recently attending a county fair in Cummington, a hilltown in the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts, I picked up a brochure about Elmer's Store in Ashfield, another regional hilltown. The unique thing about this general store is that it serves breakfast and delicious ones at that! Another unique feature is that when the owner bought it, she surveyed the community to see what they wanted and they told her they wanted a meeting place where they could get breakfast and catch up on the news as well as being able to buy some staple items.

We met the owner, Nan, who is from New Orleans and was displaced by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. She has followed those suggestions and is building a sense of community as well as a quality meeting place. In addition to the extensive breakfast menu, Elmer's Store also offers many other quality items ranging from pottery, artwork, organic foods, even music from local artists.

In fact while we were there yesterday having our breakfast on the front porch of the 1835 building, we observed a middle aged lady riding up on a bike which featured a couple of woven baskets. We later found out that she was Anna who was delivering her fresh homemade AnnaBread which is sold in the store. Of course we brought a loaf home and it is delicious. I would make the 80 mile roundtrip journey just to buy more AnnaBread!

Back to the "restaurant." The format is a large country store which has ample room for tables and chairs throughout the front portion as well as 2 or 3 tables outside. There is also a coffee bar counter that offers many of the popular specialty drinks found in most coffee houses. I didn't notice if they sell locally roasted coffee in bulk but I will suggest that to them.

The rest of the store looks like a typical country store with little alcoves featuring various local products such as the artwork, and pottery. There are sign-up sheets where customers can request specific products and place special orders.

Breakfast is served from 7:30 AM until noon daily, and a little later on Sunday. Their pancakes are made from a recipe from the local Gray's Maple Sugarhouse and the maple syrup served with the pancakes is also from there. One pancake would have been enough for my wife but she also wanted the biscuits with gravy which fortunately was too much for her so she had to share with me! I had eggs with what seemed to be a homemade sausage patty, English muffin, and home fries. The homemade sausage was a real treat as were the herb-seasoned homefries. They have served dinners on certain week nights and plan to resume them but you should check with them for details and schedules.

Nan also owns the Norton Hill Inn across the street, which is housed in a fine old historic building that features antiques, old hardware and architectural features and the ambiance you would expect from an old fashioned hilltown home. Overnight guests there receive breakfast at Elmer's. See: www.InnAtNortonHill.com.

Finding such a quality place in such a quality little town is quite a treat. One's first impulse is to want to move there to enjoy the peaceful tranquility. An additional draw for me is the fact that on the way out of town I discovered Ashfield Lake and fell even more in love with the place. I plan to go back soon for breakfast again and to go kayaking. I also want to go back the next time they sponsor a Bluegrass gathering with authentic New Orleans cooking.

I have signed up for their mailing list and you might want to consider doing the same. They have an extensive breakfast menu (with funny descriptions) that you can see on their website at: www.ElmersStore.com.

If you have ever fantasized about a quiet, tranquil place in a beautiful country setting, this is the place!

2 Thank JoeTChicopee
Charlotte, North Carolina
“A delicious breakfast in the heart of a charming town”
Reviewed June 18, 2009

Others have described the pancakes here as "the best in Massachusetts," and based on our experience, that sounds about right. My blueberry pancakes were positively blue with berries and so delicious I had them on both occasions. My husband enjoyed the corned beef hash. The menu is not only full of great choices for a hearty breakfast but also is about the funniest menu you'll ever read. Still, Elmer's is serious where it counts -- pleasant service, casual and friendly atmosphere, and fresh, locally sourced ingredients.