“Currently best restaurant on Norfolk - no question!”

Hilli Restaurant & Cafe
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Fresh organic produce served in abundance from the local growers on Norfolk Island, incredible local fish and beef, Prepared in various styles and specialising in French, Italian, Australian for dinner, amazing Devonshire teas and affordable fresh and tasty lunch menu
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We delayed going to Hilli’s as our meal 2 years ago was not very good. But I wish we’d gone sooner so we could have had 2 meals on this visit.

There’s been a new chef since, I think, June of last year and he is definitely world class.

To start my husband had the risotto of the day which was pumpkin, shallots and herbs from memory. He enjoyed every mouthful.

My choice was the Beetroot – yes you read it right! It was a carpaccio of beetroot accompanied by goats’ cheese pannacotta with pureed beetroot. There was more to it than that but it was, quite simply, superb. It was an unusual choice for me but I’m still thinking about it.

For mains, we both chose the duck. There were moist slices of duck breast on creamed pumpkin and silverbeet. Plus spring rolls of confit duck. Absolute perfection.

The waitress was friendly, efficient and really interested in what we thought about the food. And it was great to see the interaction with the chef – she was so pleased to tell him our positive reactions.

The winelist at Hilli’s is good and not exhorbitantly priced. Our total bill, while not cheap, was far better value than a couple of the other, much worse, meals we had during this trip. My only regret is that we decided we didn’t have room for dessert. We should have found room!

I’ve said before that the problem with Norfolk restaurants is that chefs change quite frequently as just about always they are visitors on permits who do not necessarily stay for very long. In fact, we tried to get the chef to promise he’d still be there next year when we visit. But I’m not confident he will be and will check before I book next year.

So, as at February 2012 (and probably since around June 2011) the chef produces outstanding food and is backed up by a committed and efficient waitress. But I recommend anyone should check before they go. A new chef might not be as good. He might even be better – but I very much doubt it!

4  Thank nzlilibet

Reviewed January 20, 2012

I have been visiting Norfolk all my life as my mother was born on the island and I could not believe that there is a restaurant of this quality there. My partner and I ate there twice during our one week on the island were simply blown away by Hilli. On the first night we both had a corn soup which was amazing. On the second night I had the local fish called trumpeter which was extreme well cooked. The meals that we had at Hilli were of a standard that we would expect in Sydney and it was the first time that I have not had to lower my standards because I was on Norfolk. Definitely the highlight of this trip.

1  Thank ithacalk
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I have been to Norfolk Island many times on business and always get to Hilli's for gorgeous food cooked with love. This time we choose 5 entree's to share between my husband and I. They were all very tasty and showcased what the island can offer. Which I know in some parts of the year, it can be difficult to get fresh produce. There are many places on the island you can eat, but this is a place where you can explore food. So once you get sick of the same old surf n' turf and fish chips and salad, that most of the other restaurants serve. Try Hilli's for something a little more refined.

1  Thank Angelaterese
Reviewed January 5, 2012

The food we had was fine but we thought it a little overpriced

Reviewed November 20, 2011

Delicious meal, lovely restaurant, perfectly cooked steak & top knotch service.