“Bit of a trek, nice courtyard”

Hotel Rose Diplomatique
Ranked #16 of 71 Hotels in Skopje
Reviewed July 4, 2012

My taxi had some difficulty finding the hotel, but there seemed to be a lot of road work going on which has probably been completed (I was there in Sept 2011). The young man on the front desk when I checked in wasn't very helpful, his replacement was much better. I thought the walk to the center of town was longer than I would like, but was told that the buses were too slow.

When I booked I was told only a suite was available, although the hotel didn't seem very full. It was much bigger than I needed, and the decor was a bit too fussy for my taste. However, I slept well and everything worked.

I liked sitting out in the courtyard. The front desk arranged a taxi to take me to Lake Matka and I took the bus back. I loved the lake, although I didn't visit the monasteries - just walked round the lake.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank thursdaysd

Reviewed June 25, 2012

The Rose Diplomatique is a quiet oasis in the chaos that is Skopje. Near the centre of the city, great staff, unpretentious, clean - has more the feel of home versus a hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank debwontheroad
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Staff were friendly and efficient. Nothing too much trouble. Language (English) was not a problem. Clean room, clean bed, clean bathroom. Couldn't fault the establishment.

Room Tip: No lift. Stairs easy to climb. If you have difficulty in climbing then ask for a room on 1st floor...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Maurice-1944
Reviewed June 17, 2012

If getting a taxi it's worth knowing the address is Roza Luxembourg street (not Luxembourg street which we thought for some reason).

The rooms are nice, fresh flowers, mini bar and very clean.

The host Daniel kept trying to sell us an "Executive Half-Day tour" of the area, even though it was already 4pm. When I suggested going up Mount Vodna myself, he said it was closed on Thursdays. I said it was Wednesday today, he said that he'd meant Wednesday, and the Executive tour bus was air-conditioned.

Great breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dh2119
Reviewed June 16, 2012

We struggled to find this hotel with the one way system but when we did get there we were made very welcome and provided with secure parking for our motorbikes. The room was clean but a bit cluttered for our liking and it was quiet and comfortable. it was very convenient for the centre which was also very good for us

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BikerGran
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Enjoyed our experience at the Rose Diplomatique, location good, quiet and comfortable.
Young staff very pleasant.
The only negative if I have to have one is the room was a little crowded, too much furniture!
Helen

Room Tip: Room with a balcony at back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Helen N
Reviewed June 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed in Rose Diplomatique for three nights during our Ex-Yugoslavia trip to the Balkans.
It was our second time in Skopje so we were eager to see how the city changed and planed to do a lot of sightseeing. We chose this hotel because of its excellent reviews on Tripadviser.com since I’ve come to rely mostly on the judgments of the fellow travelers.
The hotel is situated in a quiet residential area but very close to the center, within a 10 minute walking distance, so we had access to everything we required during our short stay in Skopje.
The room we stayed in was very clean, elegantly furnished, with a lot of personal touches that can be found all around the hotel which made it feel less like a hotel and more like staying at someone’s home. The best thing about this hotel is the back yard which is simply lovely and perfect to relax in after a day spent walking around the city.
Another great thing about this hotel are the people working there. The staff could not do enough to facilitate us and make our stay enjoyable. They answered all our questions, and believe me we ask a lot!!! :)
So in a word all thumbs up for Rose Diplomatique! We would definitely stay there again if we came back to Macedonia.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple