“friends from Croatia”

Cuisines: Central European
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 24, 2014

excellent food and very friendly staff. We had best meat meal in Skopje. You must visit this place.!

Reviewed December 5, 2013

This place really is what all other reviews are saying: authentic, warm, with very tasty national dishes and wines to go with them
service is quick (maybe too quick), will definitely go back here

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Astonishing ambiance. Feeling is enhanced with live piano ambiance music. Food is good choice of local Macedonian cuisine. You can dine and enjoy really terrific food and still have a good conversation with your colleagues. Indeed recommendable for business meals.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Supposed to be the oldest house in use in Skopje this restaurant offers more than an astonishing interior (ie the wooden ceilings) but also a beautiful outside area.

We had a Business event with about 10 people, some locals and some from across Europe. We went for the local tradition of sharing the starters and the entrees as well. So, we just described more generally what we wanted to get - and it turned that was a wise decision. Everything what we got was really good, not excellent, but close it. That includes the Macedonian wine as well, delicious.

Service could communicate in in several languages, which was helpful and nice, of course. They served the food quickly and enough of it anyway.

Comparing with 2 other locations that I know in Skopje I feel this one is very suitable for a business event (while in summer the garden is probably very romantic for private dining) however, the prices - still low for a foreigner - are a bit higher than their competition.

All in all: I'd go to the Old City House for sure again!

Reviewed October 10, 2013

This beautiful renovated house was a perfect place for our last night in Skopje. We ate inside because it was a little too cool for comfort outside, and I am glad we did. The table we were given was in a wonderful room with a gorgeous wood-carved ceiling and interesting artifacts all around. Our waiter came right away, and while the friends we were with had a basic understanding of the Macedonian language and could ask questions about the menu, I think we probably would have been all right if they hadn't been with us. I had the Old City Hot Pot, and it was a delicious mixture of chicken and pork with vegetables, served piping hot, and it was more than I could eat. We started with the Shopska salad, and with the usual tomatoes, cucumbers, and cheese that make up this salad, they included peppers and black olives. For appetizers, we got marinated peppers, one sweet and one hot, served with a delicious garlic oil dressing. We had a child with us, and he was delighted with a pizza-type dish. My husband got smothered lamb, which was served the same way as my hot pot, and the lamb was tender and had a wonderful flavor (I think I liked his better than mine!) For dessert, we had kadaif (a very sweet shredded wheat-type mixture covered with syrup) and served with ice cream. Our friend had the chocolate lava cake, and his wife had an apple strudel type dish. She said the apples seemed like apple sauce instead of sliced apples, so she was a little disappointed in that. The others desserts were totally enjoyed.