“I Guess It Depends On Your Expectations”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Andover
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Andover
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We've stayed in MA a couple of dozen times in the past 15 years. After reading so many negative and iffy reviews, this hotel was not our first choice for a holiday (Columbus Day) weekend visit to MA. But three weeks before our stay the choices were limited, so we made a reservation and by the next week this La Quinta was sold out as were most other hotels in a 100 mile radius. However, everything turned out okay for our family.

The rate here was on the lower end compared to similar hotels with or without a promo code or AAA discount.

We asked for a pet free floor and received a room that seemed free of pet odors. Had two queen beds for 4 people. No evidence of bedbugs as reported a couple of years ago (we checked). Room was clean and shower / TV /refrigerator worked fine. Bed was soft in some spots, management probably should consider getting new mattresses. Second night slept with feet facing headboard and that was more comfortable. No noise from other rooms or outside permeated our room and we were near the elevator.

The pool was never crowded (10 children or less) and actually very nice for our children. Unlike most hotel pools this one was large and where there is usually only shallow water, the depth here was seven feet at one end.

The workout room was decent and always empty in the evening. One machine (weights) needed major repairs, but other than that it was fine.

Front desk and housekeeping were friendly. They dd not have any extra pillows when we requested one. They did provide an extra blanket and sheet for our children.

As for the the breakfast, simple advice: Get there early! I would recommend before 8 am as the dining area is small and gets crowded when the hotel is full. The menu is limited with some cereal, bread, bagels, either fruit or yogurt and muffins. The best part was that you could make your own waffles. Drinks are tea, coffee, water, apple and orange juice. From what I saw the staff did replenish the food and kept everything clean.

One computer in the lobby for guest usage. The printer was a little messed up printed only one page even if you were trying to print multiple pages. But they do offer free wi-fi if you bring your own device.

Located right next to the highway hotel is convenient to downtown Boston (made it in an astonishing 25 minutes with no traffic on a Saturday afternoon), New Hampshire, southern Maine and the coast.

Overall it was a decent place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a pet free room if you want an odor free experience.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Andover

A TripAdvisor Member
Tinton Falls, New Jersey, USA
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Hotel general areas are spotless, room very comfortable, and extremely clean, both bedroom and bathroom. Had a wonderful hot shower! This hotel is fantastic value, especially with AAA discount, in a very expensive area (Boston). I will definitely look for a LaQuinta next time I am traveling.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed October 14, 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed here for 5 days while vacationing in Boston. The room initially appeared to be clean upon check-in and after a long drive, we essentially carried our bags in and went to bed. The next morning we rolled out of bed, showered, dressed, and immediately left. It wasn't until returning that evening and spending a couple hours in the room that we noticed the putrid smell of vomit emanating from the area outside the bathroom located in bedroom portion of our suite. We tried to simply deal with it, but the smell became overpowering, so I went down to the front desk to request another room. The clerk informed me that there were no other rooms available for that night or the following night. This seemed odd as the hotel lot was very empty considering it was around midnight and there were no events in the area that would explain a fully booked hotel. The clerk offered me some citrus-scented industrial cleaner and sent me on my way. The spray did nothing to alleviate the problem, so we ended up sleeping on the floor in the living room section of our suite. Upon checkout, the clerk didn't even ask how our stay was, so I figured I would follow up regarding the problem via email. Very shortly after checking out, I received an automated survey regarding my stay and clearly stated the problems we had. Considering we stayed for 5 days in a vomit permeated by the smell of vomit, one would think I would have at least received some some sort of apology from management by email or phone. Alas, I did not. A month has passed and I have heard nothing from hotel management. Next time we stay in Boston, we will very likely stay elsewhere.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2013

This hotel was better than what we expected with the reviews that we read. The staff was good - only time we had experience housekeeping trying to clean rooms at 8:30am - we'll put the do not disturb sign out next time ! Bed was comfortable - we missed breakfast so can't comment on that ! We would stay here again...

Room Tip: If you are looking for something convenient to the highway and clean this will do
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We were very happy with our stay at this la Quinta. It was a bit slow checking in due to a busy weekend but the room was spotless, the staff very pleasant and the bed was wonderful. The breakfast, like all la Quinta breakfasts could use some real multi grain bread and perhaps a bit more hot food, but then again we are not paying the big bucks to stay here either. In response to QC Cutie's comment re her ID being photographed...I have NEVER heard of that being done and it certainly was not done to my ID. My ID never left the counter directly in front of me. As I said, we had a great stay. We were also with relatives who always stay in much more expensive hotels or resorts and they also were very satisfied with the cleanliness, service, and comfort of the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I called ahead and asked for a room as far away from the smokers as possible, and we were given 348...end room, next to the stairwell, and across from the vending. Neighbors on only one side so it was super quiet. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever had in a hotel; I almost didn't want to get up! The hotel itself is very convenient to I-93 and two restaurants. We were five minutes from our family in Methuen and about 30 minutes from Logan airport. We didn't use the pool but it looked clean. My brother had the breakfast and said it was standard fare; waffles, cereal, etc. We'll be up there again next summer and would happily stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Andover
Sonesta ES Suites Andover
Homewood Suites by Hilton Boston/Andover
SpringHill Suites Boston Andover
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston - Andover
Courtyard Boston Andover
Holiday Inn Express Andover North - Lawrence

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Andover? Share your experiences!