“RELIABLE AND CIVILIZED”

Ranked #1 of 69 Restaurants in Andover
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Offering simply prepared standards reasonably priced with a hot loaf of bread and butter brought to the table while waiting for your meal.Small but popular bar separate from diningroom.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Great family place to go for lunch on a weekend. My wife and I have been impressed with the quality of food at such a reasonable price. We'll definitely continue to return.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

I will start by saying this review is not for the food. Grassfield's has consistently delivered good food -not mouth watering fabulous food - but good American fare at reasonable prices. This review is in response to a recent incident that we had while dining with friends.

My finance and I have been going to Grassfield's in Andover weekly for 3 years - we go for lunch or dinner and in some weeks both. We live across the street and find it very convenient.

Last night the server and manager embarrassed my fiancé, me and our guests by accusing him of having too much to drink. My fiancé is 6’2 and weighs 250 lbs. He had a glass of wine at the bar, while we waited 25 minutes for a table and then 2 glasses of wine at the table while we ordered and then enjoyed our meals. He had a full entrée! After dinner and when we were trying to order desert he asked for a glass of wine. Side note: We never got our desert.

The very young server then told him he could not have more than 3 drinks and that that was the “policy”. In 3 years we have never been told of this policy. We know the no drinks and bottle of wine at that table policy but never a 3 drink policy. For reference - we generally have drinks (1or2)at the bar, sometimes a drink when we order and most of the time we order a bottle of wine with our dinner.

When we questioned this “policy” we were told it has always been that way but others must not have enforced it! Both the server and the manager were confrontational and rude.

I am really not sure what propelled this situation but for reference my fiancé has an accent and can be difficult to understand – did she associate that with too much to drink? He also has a very loud laugh – and we were enjoying ourselves so he did laugh loudly a few times. Finally, one of our guests has Parkinson disease and speaks very slowly, which can be mistaken for being drunk – when in fact he has implants in his head that stop his shaking but cause slow speech. This guest did not drink.

We left extremely disappointed and I must say embarrassed. You have lost a good weekly customer. Fortunately, there are plenty of restaurants in the area that appreciate our loyalty.

1  Thank Kelly M
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Consistently very good food and service here is why we return. A previous reviewer mentioned taking people here that you may not know well - good point and I will follow that with that this is a great place to go if the party really can't decide on a place to eat due to differing tastes. Food is standard American, but high quality. Have never been disappointed with any meal here. As mentioned in another review, the rice is great. Any beef dish I've had here is also great, along with the seafood dishes. Servers are attentive, not overbearing. Atmosphere is nice enough to take someone here that you like; yet you can also come in with jeans and a tshirt, no pressure to dress up. The place looks nice and clean even when they are busy. When they are busy, you can visit the bar area for a cocktail while you wait (they do not take reservations; they don't have to, that should tell you something about this place's quality). Everyone we have brought to this establishment says nice things about it. Come and find out for yourself.

1  Thank katzmat
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Stopped here on a whim, menu was nice prices were average food was perfect . A burger and dinner salad were ordered all was well service was very good. Would go back