“Satisfied a trio of foodies”
Review of Brasserie 28 - CLOSED

Brasserie 28
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Lawrence
“Satisfied a trio of foodies”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Self admitted food snobs, and this place delivered. We started off by sharing a bowl of French Onion Soup (hold the cheese and bread please). The broth was rich and satisfying, the onions delicious and it had a nice herbacious, meaty satisfying quality to it. We got suckered into sampling the cured meats/cheese - which probably remains our only delicious regret. We ordered the wild boar sopressata, chorizo and french goat cheese at $6ea. The restaurant ought to be ashamed and embarrassed by their serving size. 5-6 tissue paper thin slices on the meats and 1 thin slice of the goat cheese (but all 3 were AMAZING in flavor). The crostini and grilled bread that comes with it were also delicious. Next came the crab cake. We were warned that it was only one per dish but for sure it was good sized. Packed with crab and flavor. The side salad of fennel, apple and frissee was off the charts delicious. This place is not scared of flavor. The acid from the dressing complimented the crab cake. We had decided to share the (3) entrees. We ordered the ricotta cavatelli with slow braised lamb, tuscan kale and black garlic. It was delicious. Such a satisfying flavor! Then we ordered a beef duo (medium rare) with sirloin and beef cheeks, heirloom carrots...HOLY COW. All I have to say. Finally we ordered the three little berkshire pigs, roasted loin ∙ braised shoulder ∙ crispy belly withred cabbage and parsnip. Braised shoulder, cabbage and parsnip balls and puree were TO DIE FOR. If it weren't improper etiquette I would have licked the dish to get every last drop of sauce and puree on that dish. I was less impressed with the loin and pork belly. The loin needed more salt but had a pleasing flavor. The port belly needed flavor and tasted deep fried (ehhh). Compared to everything else we had been eating, it was a let down. I need more of that parsnip puree. I don't think I've ever had anything that velvety and luxorious. I'm hooked. Bellies were full and aching but then came dessert. We shared french donuts and a meyer lemon tart. The donut to me was more like a cinnamon sugar muffin - a bit dense but still good. Served with a winter jam (one of us referred to it as Yankee Candle - not her favorite). The meyer lemon tart was ok. I actually enjoyed the minted supremed citrus (orange, lime, grapefruit) more than the tart. I wish they would offer that as a dessert alone! The coffee looked and smelled amazing. Single pod machine, the coffee had a head on it than any barista in Italy would have been jealous. I was talked into after dinner tea: loose leaf Earl Gray. One of the best I've ever had. BTW the food was so good, we forgot to take pics. Only managed to grab one of the tart. Without tip we paid $150.00. Considering the quality, I think it's worth it. Parking is difficult, the restaurant looks closed from the outside. We at in the bar area so I can't comment on the dining room, but the bar area was beautiful (could do without the TVs). Kills the ambiance a bit. The waiter was super friendly, patient and more importantly knowledgeable about the product. Always a plus! I highly recommend it.

• Visited January 2013
9 Thank Tamara L

Brooklyn, NY
“Good restaurant paired with weird bar”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I will review Brasserie 28 in two segments: The bar, which is ridiculous, and the restaurant, which is good.

The Good:
The restaurant is spacious and the tables offer good privacy from one party to another. The noise level is relatively low and we could all hear each other without having to scream. It is well decorated and the lighting is tastefully done. The staff were quick to get us seated and out of the horrible bar area (see below). We were not rushed at all, and our waiter was attentive to us throughout the evening. The food was good - we were all very satisfied with our appetizers, main courses and desserts. Presentation was impressive, and a welcome to this part of suburban Massachusetts. The wine list is well conceived, presenting affordable and pricey options in both reds and whites, and Brasserie 28 also has many craft beers for those who appreciate hops more than grapes. All of this is comes with a more urban price tag, but I think that is fair given the food they serve involves more preparation than serving a slab of prime rib with a baked potato. The main critique I would have is that they serve wine by the glass by bringing over a little carafe of wine to fill the glass in front of you. Many wine bars do this now, I personally think it's ridiculous, a glass of wine is just a glass of wine!

The Bad:
The bar is a classic case of trying to be two things at once and in the process losing complete focus and having no character. The bar is presents a well conceived attempt a creating a posh Parisian brasserie and upscale wine bar feel, with a mountain of premium scotches and cognacs against the wall, elegant space for customers and good lighting. It is also completely ruined by two giant televisions that blast more light than the lighting fixtures and cheap top 40 music. Management needs to think of whether they want this space to be a stylish spot to enjoy drinks such as Chateauneuf du Pape, Chimay and Glenlivet, and being unique for the Andover area, or whether it's going to be a just another sports bar, the likes of which are a dime a dozen in the greater Boston area. Getting rid of the televisions and playing hip lounge music would considerably improve the bar and bring it more in line with what Brasserie 28 is trying to pass itself off as.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Brkln71
Andover, Massachusetts
“FANTASTIC!!!”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We were at this fine establishment this weekend and wow what a fantastic time! We were a large group and sat in the front room at this gorgeous farmhouse table with a huge wrap around booth. We felt like queens. The food and drinks were top notch! The martinis were huge! We got pretty much everything on the menu and shared. The food was outstanding and by far this is the best restaurant in the North Shore. If this restaurant was in Boston there would be a line out the door. We had a fabulous time and we will return very soon!

• Visited November 2012
5 Thank Alexis G
CT
“Great bar food, but.....”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

The burgers, salads, beer and wine were excellent. The cured meat and cheese selections were extensive, but the portions were way too small. On paper the selections sounded mouth watering. However, the salami was sliced too thin to have any taste and the cheese portions were too small to have any substantial bite. Avoid wasting your hard earned money on these one ounce portions of meat and cheese. The foie gras burger was as good as it gets. The Frisee salad had to good taste. The wine selection by the glass was outstanding and the beer selection was as good. The pumpkin cheese cake was terrible if you like NY cheese cake. It was more like a ricotta mousse. Overall the restaurant was very inventive and tasty if you selected the right items. If you didn't then you spent your money and didn't get filled nor any enjoyment.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank David C
Boston
“Typical Suburban Wannabe”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Our dinner was a mess from start to finish. Service was terrible. The wine was served at the wrong temperature (and this is a wine bar). And the entrees were typical bad Andover food- way over priced and overreaching. My Advice: Make something simple and good, with treat ingredients--rather than shooting for something higher than what you can deliver. I will not be hurrying back.

• Visited October 2012