“I would definitely go back”
Review of Yella Grille

Yella Grille
Ranked #5 of 71 Restaurants in Andover
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Yella, which means “Come On, Let’s Go” in Lebanese, is a Modern Mediterranean Grille located in the heart of downtown Andover. Chef Carlo Berdahn and his wife Danielle together co-own the picturesque bistro, bringing a new and fresh dining option to the Merrimack Valley. The intimate space and updated décor provide a warm and relaxed atmosphere, while its crisp linens and open layout give the dining room a comfortable and inviting setting. Lebanese inspired, these beautifully plated dishes remain true to the hearty traditions of regional cooking; warm soups, dark lentils, subtle teasing spices, velvety risotto, crispy pan seared fish, succulent lamb and delectable desserts. Chef Berdahn uses his culinary expertise to create classic, yet modern Mediterranean dishes.
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I ate here on Friday night. The place is very small, but the staff is friendly and the atmosphere is good. I had the stuffed eggplant and really enjoyed it. There aren't a lot of options on the dessert menu, but otherwise the menu had many good choices and enough variety for everyone. I was too stuffed to try the dessert, but this is defintely a place I would visit again.

Danielle B, Owner at Yella Grille, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Thank you for visiting us at Yella- we are so glad that you enjoyed the Stuffed Eggplant so much! It is very important to us to have a warm atmosphere and a friendly staff, and we are glad that you found that to be the case. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

This is not imaginative cuisine, it is excuses cuisine. I will spare the details of being seated awkwardly at a table for 2, next to a table of 4 who seemed to stake their claim on the entire front of the restaurant. Within seconds of being seated, the waitress pounced on my dinner companion and I asking for our drink order. Whoa...can we look at the menu first? Once we ordered and received our drinks, the waitress was back 2 minutes later to take our meal order....please, can we take a sip first. When we were ready to order, we ordered the salad special for the evening, described as field tomatoes with garlic aioli, spinach, olive oil, topped with fried, fresh mozzarella cheese. And what was served? Over ripe tomatoes (in August, no less!) non-existent aioli, a few shards of chopped romaine, which should have been spinach, and fried "fresh" mozzarella that reminded me of the cheese sticks that I would buy for my kids at Costco 10 yrs. ago. Within minutes of the waitress removing the salad plates, our entrees were arrived. Is there no such thing as a leisurely meal here? One look at my skirt steak and I knew it would be totally inedible. Tasteless and way overcooked, when I asked for chef's choice. My companion's sea scallops, so delicate, were grossly overcooked. What is it about a restaurant when the chef (?) or cook thinks over cooking= delicious. What the menu described as onion straws looked and tasted like raffia. I sent my skirt steak back and was later offered a comp dessert. My companion and I chose the crepe with bananas, nutella and vanilla gelato. I know it was free but seriously...6 banana slices in a crepe that couldn't be fork cut with "gelato" that tasted like ice milk. Save your money and go elsewhere. The staff is indifferent and the cuisine is totally uninspired. Yella needs a reality check and an overhaul of the kitchen

4  Thank Buffalo Travele... Z

We apologize that your recent dining experience at Yella was not all that it could have been. We truly hope for positive feedback from all of our customers, and when we realized that your time with us was not pleasurable, we made numerous attempts to rectify the situation. We offered to re-cook your skirt steak, have you order something else off the menu if you preferred, or simply take something home. We would have appreciated you letting us know at the time what we could have done to remedy this. I would like to personally invite you back to Yella in hopes that your time with us will be much different. Please contact me directly prior to your visit so that I can personally see to this.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

I ate here with a group from work on a set menu. It is a small spot but the food was tasty. The service was attentive but slow. All in all very pleasant.

Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your recent work dining experience at our restaurant. I am happy that you found the food to be tasty, and the service to be attentive. Please visit us again soon!

Reviewed June 20, 2012

My husband and I just had dinner at Yella tonight. Your restaurant was recommended by a local business owner in Andover. Boy, was this recommendation spot on!

We started off with the feta spring rolls, which only began our amazing culinary experience! From there, Nick, our knowledgeable, friendly, patient waiter, easily talked us into the homemade iced tea. Again, another stop in this mediterranean food fest that didn't disappoint!

For dinner, we enjoyed the lamb and fish of the day, and to top it off, our strawberry crepe and spiced mousse was out of this world! We will definitely be returning for both the service and the food. Thank you for a great night!

2  Thank travelgirl0733
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post such positive feedback about your recent dining experience at Yella! We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed so many of our dishes, as well as the service. The lamb chops are certainly the Chef's signature dish, and the seyadieh and spring rolls are also very popular. Thank you again for joining us- we're looking forward to having you back soon.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Myself and three friends were very excited about going to this restaurant because of a past pleasant experience that one of them had and all the good reviews I had read.. Nothing about this visit was good enough to make it worth the $240 that we paid for dinner. The mussels were fine but way too salty. Two of us ordered the crispy eggplant that was a burnt eggplant skin filled with a flavorless mess. The scallops were OK but not hot. Then there was the wine....a bottle of luke warm white wine and a bottle of tempranillo which according to the wait staff was the name of the vineyard not the grape. We ordered one dessert and did not even finish it and that was for four people. All this and in a very cramped space ......not a pleasant experience in any way...unfortunately

6  Thank VMaureen
Danielle B, Owner at Yella Grille, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent dining experience at Yella. We are absolutely disappointed to hear that your time with us was unpleasant. Firstly, the mussels should not have been so salty, the eggplant burnt and flavorless, and the scallops cold. The white wine should have been completely chilled as well. As far as the Tempranillo, we take great pride in educating our staff on our food and wine, and so I truly apologize that this was lacking here. We will take the necessary steps to correct these issues.

I would personally like to invite you back to Yella in hopes that your experience will be different. Please contact me directly prior to your visit so that I may personally see to this. Again, please accept our apologies.

Been to Yella Grille? Share your experiences!