“Great place to visit”
Review of Amherst

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Pelham, MA
2 helpful votes
“Great place to visit”
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Amherst is the quintessential college town set in the bucolic hills of the Pioneer Valley. What makes Amherst such a special place is the varied multitude of exciting and interesting places to see and visit. Museums, including the Mead Art Gallery and Amherst College Museum of History, the Emily Dickinson Homestead, and the nearby Smith College Art Gallery, are only a few of the offerings. There are museums for comic lovers, there is the Yiddish Book Center, and even a tourist attraction that shouldn't be missed only a short distance away, the Yankee Candle Factory. Fresh apples from Atkins farms, hiking trails, the Mt Holyoke State Park, the Hitchcock Center of the Environment, and a climb to the top of Mt Orient are all here to do and see and learn from. Amherst is a great place to visit and highly recommended.

1 Thank JoLeslie
Southwest USA
1 helpful vote
“Shutesbury, MA”
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Fall is a beautiful time to visit this area! We enjoyed the fruits of the season. Literally! We have family living in nearby Shutesbury. We visited "farmers markets" in the area, picked a peck of apples from a local apple orchard and searched for the perfect pumpkin in a pumpkin patch for Halloween. The fall colors are dramatic and vivid. They bring pleasure to the eyes and warmth to the soul! Enjoy New England in the fall. Be sure to take your camera!

1 Thank TumblinJ
A TripAdvisor Member
“Amherst...a must read for anyone who hasn't been to Amherst”
Reviewed February 8, 2006

Well, I can't say I really enjoyed my stay. My boyfriend and I went for what was supposed to be a one week vacation & turned into 2 in June of 2005. We stayed with some of his friends. On our 1st day in we arrived and relaxed which was great. They live at the Mill Valley appartments which are very spacious and we had a room to ourselves. The management was very nice but at one point in our stay someone burnt all the buzz In buttons from the entrance. As for the town we really couldn't find much to do. The 1st three days of our trip it rained almost all day despite this we dicided we would take an umbrella have a look around.

One thing I'd like to point out right away that I haven't seen anywhere else is that the Street lights have audiable abilities to let blind persons know when it is okay to cross. The couple we stayed with and my boyfriend are blind. They navagated me all over the city. I think these should be put in every state!

The Airport:
Bradely Internation which is in Hartfort, CT a 50 minute ride (we flew into this one)
Boston Airport is a 5-6 hour drive.

Food and Dinning:

We found a great Chinese place. The China Inn it is a few feet from Ben and Jerry's. This is where we would would have lunch the majority of our trip. It was quite around lunch time and we were usually the only one's there. I can't understand why because the food was great and The prices were wonderful. The resturant its self is very cute with a peaceful ambiance.

The La vercruzana was a very nice little mexican resturant in downtown Amherst with great art on the walls and a super friendly staff. The food was good.
I loved the platanos Fritos!

Amhest Brewing company - I don't remember much except the wings were horrible and tasted like they where drinched in vingar. Sevice was great!

The black Sheep - I had desert deliverd by Delivery Express (Open 11am - 9pm)in amherst it cost around $3 to have delivered but it was soo good.

Ground Round (I may have that backwards) - Amazing food loved it!

Site seeing:

We visited thorns market which I would say was one of my very, very few favorite things we did. There is an art gallery display, several shops and resturants. My Favorite was called Glimpse of Tibet it is on the second level and has all kinds of great jewelery, rugs, bags,decorations and trinket boxes. although from what I remember there was no elevator I wouldn't recommend it for persons with bad knees or some disabilities. I have mild cerebal palsy and the stairs were a do able but tiring. The spaces are packed full & close together making it very hard to navigate. If you are not a extremly good guide person or dog be very consious of where everything is; guide persons usually have more trouble than the dogs. Also I don't think there is enough room for wheelchair travel.
We had asked our friends what there was to see and do. There was the butterfly museum but we couldn't find any other mode of transport than a taxi.

I had asked about a zoo. I love animals. They recommeded look park. It is more of a kids attraction though with a small petting zoo, water attractions and a picnic area. We enjoyed a quiet lunch. If you have kids they will enjoy it but if you don't its not worth the trip to northhampton.

Transportation:
Red Cab - If you use this service which is by far the cheapest cab service we have seen anywhere in the US be sure to ask for Sundari she is one of their most dependable drivers. we found when others worked we were less likely to get a cab at the time they said and the others sometimes did not awnser the phone.
She how ever was very polite, friendly & Punctual.

Bus transportation - The public bus is FREE and ran by college students (no offense I am one) but you get what you pay for. It isn't grossly unbarable but the floors did not look swept, it smelled a bit and there are no cameras which inclined this crazy old man to threaten the young girl (who was very helpful) driving the bus with a LARGE Tree branch he had been using as a walking stick because she would only let him out the back door for safety reasons.
The Peter Pan Bus was clean and comfortable. Highly recommeded. $7.00 roundtrip to Northhampton

Several nights a week we went to the movies in Hadley the amherst taxis run there as well however, we did not know in the summer every mode and I mean EVERY Mode of public transportations including buses taxis stop running between 9pm-10:30pm. We ended up stranded in hadely walking down the highway in the middle of the night. We couldn't even get a cop to give us a ride to Amherst. The Holiday Inn we had walked to Refused to take cash! Luckliy a woman who works in La Veracruzana we had met in Amherst early that week in gave us a ride to the quality Inn. Its nothing fancy but clean comfortable and the staff seemed very friendly.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
“Partial to the Five College Area”
Reviewed March 14, 2004

I am an avid traveler and have explored various parts of the globe on foot or by public transport, with my twelve year old backpack astride my back. I have completed a portion of the Harvest Trail in Australia, the Blue Mountain and Kangeroo Valley. I have trekked to Kathmandu and made my way up the steep trail to Sarangkot, a small hill side village north of Pokhara. In between, I managed to spend four days in a Buddhist Monastery in Bouddhanat, where Tibetan Buddhists rehearsed for their annual Lhosar. Their rehearsals were straight out of the scene of Kundun. I have biked around the northwest corridor of Oahu in Hawaii (Makana Point); Hiroshima and Yokohama are additional city's that have made an impression on me. Therefore, I consider myself an amateur expert on assessing foreign places and culture. I must say, that out of all the pockets of pleasure I have seen and immersed myself into, I revert always to the five college area for its fall beauty, its bucolic landscape, and the warmth of the people. Its rich cafe community and socially aware aesthetics remind me of a tranquil activist community of yesterday, but in the present. I have yet to find a place that matches the characteristics of the area.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to Amherst? Share your experiences!