“Convenient, clean, close, charming and courteous”
Review of Black Walnut Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amherst
Black Walnut Inn
Ranked #3 of 12 Amherst B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 23, 2010

We stayed at the Black Walnut Inn while our son attended an orientation session at the University of Massachusetts. When we made the reservations, we mentioned that our 12 year old daughter would be with us and asked for the Webster Room. Upon arrival, we were met by the owner, showed to our room and made to feel welcome. The room was exceptionally large with a polished wood floor, period decorations, two queen beds and a cute trundle/sleigh bed that our daughter loved. The bathroom was adequate and furnished with the usual soaps, shampoos, etc. The owner had put age appropriate books, crayons, and a coloring book in the room, anticipating our daughter’s arrival. There was a TV and internet in the room but we didn’t use either. The grounds were expansive, well tended and pretty. Many large trees ring the property. Parking was free and conveniently located feet from the door to the room. The area was quiet and the Inn fits well into the lovely old New England setting of Amherst.
When we explained to the owner that we needed to be at parent’s orientation by 0730 the next morning, she offered to have breakfast ready early for us (it normally stats at 0700). I am an early riser and as I wandered through the public rooms of the old inn at 0615, reading the books about the history of the building and the area, the very nice young lady doing breakfast greeted me with hot coffee. When the family came to the kitchen we sat down to eggs to order, waffles with maple syrup, toast plus bacon and sausages from a local smoke house. My wife is allergic to gluten so we were very surprised when the owner brought out two large freshly baked zucchini muffins for her. (When my wife was making the original room reservation, she must have mentioned the allergy to the owner.) Apparently the owner had purchased the rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch and all of the other ingredients to make the muffins. The muffins were so good our daughter insisted on trying them - and she normally wouldn’t even touch a zucchini let alone put something with zucchini in her mouth. Both of them loved the muffins. We enjoyed the meal immensely and we were on our way in plenty of time to make the parents’ briefing.
We had a wonderful experience and will certainly return to the BWI whenever we visit our son at UMass.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed July 8, 2010

As a frequent traveler, the Black Walnut Inn is remains as my top B&B! The cleaniness of the rooms, the aroma of freshly baked cookies, superb breakfasts and the special accommodations from the Innkeepers, I must say is stellar! For those who travel to this part of the country, you will NOT be disappointed...book now, they are in demand!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We had the pleasure of staying at the Black Walnut Bed and Breakfast Inn while visiting our son at Amherst College. The room was a step back in time with hard wood floors and quilts on our beds. All was clean and even chocolates awaited us each night. The best part was breakfast, made to order and all delightful. The neighborhood has a little noise ( U Mass is nearby ) , but none entered our room. They do allow pets and there is a large grass area for pets and children. Clever little treasure in Amherst. The only thing I noticed in need was a little gardening of the flower beds, but hardly a problem.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2009

I was a little hesitant staying at an Inn and didn't really know what to expect. I was looking to relax in between my classes in Amherst. Both Marie and Kevin made my collegues and I feel like part of a family. We were all comfortable immediately. The rooms were spacious, clean with plenty of hot water, air conditioning, iron and hairdryer and the best mattress! There were also snacks downstairs in the dining room. The homemade food was the best! What more could you ask for! Without a doubt, I plan on returning next August for the week.

Bonnie from Massachusetts

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 21, 2009

My teenage son and I were traveling to see college campuses. U Mass was very close by. We had the Webster room and found it to be comfortable and clean. The decor of memorabilia and antiques were part of the homey appeal that is not found in hotels and the breakfast was personally prepared as ordered. Wireless internet was also no problem. LOVED it and would return.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 17, 2009

I stayed in the Mulberry Room at the Black Walnut Inn when I was in Amherst for a business trip. The room was beautiful and peaceful, with some antiques, plenty of space, and chocolates waiting for me. I admired the purple velvet curtains, and other lovely decor touches.

I enjoyed seeing some of the historic photos of the home going back to the early 1900s and a book that describes its fascinating history and the renovation process. I was given a quick tour of the other rooms in the Inn and was impressed by the different layouts available to guests.

I had an early departure the next morning and the hosts were great about meeting me and providing coffee and breakfast. I left shortly after 6:00 a.m. and wished that I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 13, 2009

Hello,

We stayed in the Carholt room in a recent trip to an Amherst Umass Conference, which is very large and decorated with quite a few quaint and interesting antiques. We really enjoyed the ambiance of the room which also included wood beam ceilings, and found it to be an enjoyable retreat from our very busy schedules.

Our room was clean, and well stocked with many natural and/or convenient amenities, such as shampoo, soap, plentiful towels, even toothpaste, and cotton swabs. It also has a large, private bath. The staff was very attentive, and made sure that we returned to a clean and well stocked room each day.

The staff was very friendly, and went out of their way to please. Breakfast comes with your stay, and they are willing to accomodate special needs and requests, which we really appreciated. I was really craving fruit one morning, which was not on the menu, and the owner went next store to a neighbors (even though I tried to insist that was too much trouble) to get some. She also graciously accomodated other special breakfast requests.

The hotel is right down the street from UMASS, which makes it an extremely easy to get to conferences for those of you planning on attending one. I highly recommend that you consider staying there.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Courtyard Hadley Amherst
#2 of 5 in Holyoke
Lord Jeffery Inn
Lord Jeffery Inn
#1 of 12 in Amherst

Been to Black Walnut Inn? Share your experiences!