“Delicious Local Food - try the Key Lime Pie with Gingersnap Crust!”
Review of Tabella Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Tabella Restaurant
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed January 25, 2010

We had a great meal on 1/23/2010 at Tabella Restaurant in Amherst. We were visiting for the weekend and were lucky to find this place - via a recommendation from the Valley Advocate, the local newspaper. My favorite dishes: warm Quinoa with feta stuffed inside of a large portabella mushroom. Delicious! And at the server's recommendation, my husband and I each had a slice of key lime pie. If we go back to Amherst, we would love to have dinner here again.

Reviewed October 7, 2009

Went to this restaurant in downtown Amherst, MA after a friend recommended it - I had never heard of it despite regularly visiting the area. There were 3 of us and it was a Tuesday evening. The restaurant specializes in using purely local ingredients. They can tell you the farm any item came from.

We had curry spiced Chickpea fries ($7), and a home made pate wrapped in bacon (can't remember the cost of that). Both were excellent. The pate especially took my fancy. Offered with a local bread it was an ideal appetizer on a fall evening. The others wolfed down the fries before I could get much of a taste, but the ones I had were creamy, tasty and hot and presented with some flare.

For the main course we had a Pork Tenderloin ($23) a Mushroom Risotto ($18.50) and organic 12oz Rib-eye ($33). All were excellent and we enjoyed passing the plates from one to the other. The pork was really good and the coulis of peaches it was served with was a great compliment - it was my dish and I was reluctant to share it!. The Ribeye was as a big a slice of meat as I have seen (12oz seemed out of synch with what we got). We ordered it rare and it came out just right. It ended up being too much and we took a good part of it home with us. It was served with Mashed potatoes in a whiskey, maple syrup and caramelized onion marmalade. The Risotto was really good and the reggiano sprinkled on top was an enhancing contract.

We will be back to what I think is the best kept dining secret in Amherst

Reviewed August 27, 2009

The food at Tabella is truly delicious and creative -- they use local produce, meat and dairy and have an ever-changing menu that highlights seasonal ingredients at the peak of freshness and flavor. Our favorite restaurant in Amherst, hands down. Great for groups of friends -- tapas style dining allows for sharing :) -- and quiet atmosphere is good for couples, too. Wine list is great. The desserts are to die for. My favorites: lavender creme brulee and the dark chocolate mint mousse.

1  Thank Travelgrl111
Reviewed August 1, 2009

Portions are minuscule, food average and prices are high, so it adds up quickly for nothing special. I’ve eaten there twice and both times I wanted to go out for pizza afterwards as I was still hungry. Very nice bar and atmosphere. Go there for a glass of wine before a movie at the Amherst Cinema but don't waste your money on dinner when truly fine dining at Chez Albert is next door. A great concept but there are far better tapas restaurants than this. Unfortunately, none are in the local area. Outdoor dining is in a parking lot.

Reviewed July 21, 2009

Call us snobs, but we rarely eat this well and sophisticated outside of NYC. However, discovering this place was a real culinary treat. I use 'discover' due to the tucked away location, which we were happy to find also allows for patio dining. We read the "daily" menu, as the waiter explained it changes with the locally utilized ingredients from day to day and decided to try it out. The menu was based on all regional meats with amazingly fresh local produce and cheeses in simple yet perfectly chosen pairings. We were too full for dessert after underestimating the size of their salads and "small plates." So, we can only say that our neighbors mouse looked and sounded tasty. Nice to see a place put their politics where their mouth is and pull it off.