“Terrible terrible terrible”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I just couldn't believe how bad this place was given the glowing reviews. I understand that dining experiences can vary from person to person, but the degree to which this establishment under preformed was exceptional. Ambiance, if you can call it that, akin to a sports bar. Service, imperceptible. Nothing available cooked to order, total lack of creativity or desire to accommodate patron preference. The waiter who served us was beyond rude, and had it not been a situation in which we were hosting guests I would have walked out early on rather than subject myself to this sort of treatment. This has to have been one of the worst dining experiences I have had.

2  Thank Dale P

Reviewed October 29, 2012

My wife and I try to sneak away once a week or so for a casual and invariably lovely lunch at the bar at Chez Albert. It's hard to pick a Meal that stands out because they are all delicious; salmon or beef tartine and frites, rabbit ragout, one of the delicious and surprisingly light cassoulets or an omlette stuffed with gruyere and pork confit.... The service is spectacular; attentive but not hovering, and Emanuelle who runs the front of the house makes every customer feel welcome and perfectly cared for. At $11.00 - $15.00 for lunch entrees and 8-10 for a glass of wine, it's also incredibly reasonable.

1  Thank Michael H
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Reading reviews of this restaurant led me to believe that it would offer a superior dining experience. At the end of the day I would have settled for reasonably comfortable and unremarkable. Unfortunately, Chez Albert combines a charmless atmosphere (sports bar and big screen included, tables sans cloths) with uninspired, tired, dishes. Polite queries about availability of off-menu choices to meet special dietary needs were met with derision, as were questions about dishes advertised in the menu published on their web-site but not available on their current list of offerings. It seemed they were determined to expend the absolute minimum amount of effort or creativity in satisfying our party's requests. I have dined at many humble establishments which did so much more with so much less ---and charged far less in the bargain.

1  Thank travlelf
Reviewed August 16, 2012

When I called for a reservation, I asked that I receive a nice table as it was a romantic evening with my significant other. We were given a delightfully private booth, a perfect choice. That was the beginning of a fantastic meal - terrific service (efficient and friendly), great food (the shitake/corn sauce over the striped bass was outstanding! loved the sweetbread appetizer and the frites w/ aioli), and a delightful decor. Plus, it was August and the schools weren't in session so the scene was laid back and relaxing.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

I jogged by Chez Albert an hour before our intended dinner hour to ask if they could accommodate us. Emmanuel, a gourmet par excellence, said DE RIEN and I hurried home to shower and present ourselves for dinner. Luckily, he was our waiter and his love for all things gourmet guided our choices of food - my husband ordered the hanger steak (which was amazing with it's bordelaise sauce) and I had the cold corn soup with lobster which was also exceptional. Even the garlic/white bean dip with bread was delicious along with the innovate cocktail menu (my drink has chartreuse, bourbon and red vermouth) - in short, a memorable meal from start to finish with impeccable service, fantastic fresh food and a great atmosphere. It's a few hours later and I still feel elated thanks to a great meal. Not at all stuffy -you'll feel part of the family. The bar tender was also a passionate foodie - a real gift on this trip.