“Great bed and breakfast! Wonderful hosts!”
Review of Amherst Inn

Amherst Inn
Ranked #2 of 12 Amherst B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 22, 2013

You will find many comfortable Bed and Breakfasts in New England, but you won't find better hosts. I recently spent three pleasant nights and an extra weekend snowbound by a blizzard at the Amherst Inn. All through the storm, I was looked after. Even when no other guests were at the Inn, my breakfast was provided. I was assured that I could have lunches and dinners--free of charge. The inn keepers looked in on me regularly to make sure that I was doing well. When I departed for home, I forgot my son's hat, and it was mailed to my house with only a phone call. The Inn is lovely; the rooms are large and well-furnished. The bed was a treat, furnished with the same mattress--I was told--the President uses at the White House. But the hosts are what made my stay so enjoyable. You will love the Amherst Inn.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I spent our 40th wedding anniversary in the Cyrus room of this well appointed inn. We were impressed with the lavish array of fine period antiques throughout the house. Rooms were immaculate. Service was very friendly. Beds were very comfortable. We especially liked the location which was close enough to walk to town. Be sure to visit the Mead art museum on the Amherst College Campus.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Well run traditional B&B - excellent breakfast variety, lots of flexibility for arrival and departure, and daily room freshening. Great place to settle in while touring the area or checking out colleges. Location is fantastic, walking distance to downtown Amherst with restaurants and shops; two blocks from Amherst College.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We were exploring the Amherst area and were fortunate to be able to stay at the Amherst Inn. It is a lovingly restored old home with beautifully done rooms. Spacious and airy, though, to balance out the heavy Victorian pieces. We chose a warm and sunny room because the weather was so cold. Despite that, we had a good walk into the center of town--very close. We explored the shops, and enjoyed dinner in a tiny Thai restaurant. So many eatery choices though! Wonderful college town. . though the students were on winter break at the time.

After our chilly walk, we were happy to return to our warm room--it even had an electric fireplace which was easy to operate. It was a beautiful room and I loved the color scheme. The bed was a massive carved piece of furniture--well polished and well kept. Such a contrast to the flimsy stuff that is for sale today. These pieces were built to last for generations. The big bed was comfortable, too--the mattress soft but firm. The room had other lovely pieces as well as nice decorative touches. The place was blissfully quiet. I was actually a bit too warm, as it turned out. Not a bad problem, though, with single digit temps outside.

We had our own bathroom and it was fine. The water was hot and plentiful.

Breakfast had choices--eggs any style, Ann's delicious crepes with different topping possibilities, fruit, coffee cake, pastries, cereal,yogurt, juice, coffee and tea--variety to please any appetite. The conversation was good. We were interested in learning about the area, and Ann and the other guests were very helpful. We had come to the right place!

Alas, the Emily Dickenson House was closed for the winter season, though, so we'll just have to return. . . .

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights (Jan 19-21) when we brought our daughter to Hampshire College. The place is gorgeous; beautiful furnishings, delicious breakfast, great atmosphere and best of all, wonderful hosts! Ann and Alan are most generous and are quite knowledgeable of the house and the area.

We will definitely be coming back!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 18, 2013

The staff and area of this great B&B is just another reason to stay at this beautiful place.it is conveniently walking distance to the town and it's cool shops,as well as the Emily Dickinson homestead.for literary buffs,you must stay here!the service and private feeling of a time were television and smart phones didn't exist,is just another reason to stay at this pleasant place.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 5, 2013

This Victorian B&B is a great place to stay when visiting Amherst. It's across the street from the Emily Dickinson house and just a few blocks away from lots of shops and terrific restaurants in downtown Amherst. My room was beautifully decorated, comfortable, and spacious. Ann, the innkeeper, was very accommodating and helpful. The breakfast was delicious. I will stay there again when I go back to Amherst.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Hotel UMass
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst
D. Hotel & Suites
D. Hotel & Suites
#2 of 5 in Holyoke

Been to Amherst Inn? Share your experiences!