“It feels like home, only better!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Amherst Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amherst
Amherst Inn
Ranked #3 of 12 Amherst B&B and Inns
North Haven, Connecticut
“It feels like home, only better!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

If you are looking for accomodations in the Amherst, MA area, you owe it to yourself to stay at the Amherst Inn. Inkeepers Al and Ann are lovely folks who really care about the comfort of their guests and that attitude is exhibited by their staff as well. The high ceilings, historic detailing and furnishings take you back to a more gracious era, while the modern hospitality ammenities make you as comfortable as possible. Oh, I almost forgot the breakfeast - Excellent!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Quincy, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

A last minute trip to Amherst, MA resulted in the unexpected good luck to find a room available in this totally authentic Victorian B&B the Amherst Inn. Inside and out it is decorated and filled with Victorian style and charm. I had a single room with a big Victorian double bed, stenciled walls, feather duvet, and velvet covers. The inn has the natural warmth and peace we imagine we would find in the days of Emily Dickinson (her house is just across the street). Just the place to settle into a stuffed chair and read the afternoon away. All of this is highlighted by the delightful and friendly owner who with the help of her daughter prepared a wonderfully delicious breakfast to start the day. The location is perfect. Just a very short walk to downtown, restaurants, transportation, etc. I hope to make a weekend trip there this fall or no later than next summer. The price was perfect for such a perfect stay.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

What a great place the Amherst Inn is! I love staying here when i come visit my daughter at Hampshire College. Amherst Inn is a very short walk to downtown in the charming town of Amherst. There are very few lodgings so close to the center of town, and being able to walk around the town and have easy access to the excellent bus system is a big plus for me. Each room is like a work of art with authentic period detail and hand carved woodwork. The staff is friendly and accommodating. Love this place!

Milford, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

Lovely, comfortable room. Spotlessly clean. Very friendly and helpful innkeeper and staff. Delicious breakfast too. An easy walk to the Amherst campus. It was a pleasure to have the friendly feeling of an inn with modern amenities like a private bath, air conditioning and free wifi. I will definitely stay here again. Although I traveled on business, this would be a lovely place for couples and families too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Norfolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

I loved my stay at the Amherst Inn. I actually booked a few days before a seminar, and found out the day before that there really was nothing I could do for sightseeing without a car (except the Emily Dickinson Homestead right across the street). However, having booked a flight and the B&B, I went anyway. Upon arrival, Anne, the owner, came right over from her other inn to check me in. Check in was simple and fast, much appreciated since I had been traveling since 3 a.m. I was shown everything in the house before she left, and I was invited to "look around" -- which I did since no other guests had yet arrived. I unpacked, rested, and went on a short walk downtown, where I found many wonderful things. I also found, on my return, that I had missed the brochure rack -- stuffed full with bus schedules and things to do. I prepared a cup of tea (strangely, it seemed no one was around, but there was always fresh hot water in the thermal urns) in the dining room and curled up with my book before turning in early. I shortly realized that, being on the ground floor, there is a little noise as guests enter/leave in the evening and when breakfast begins in the morning, but I also found this really great "noise" generating machine that plays rain, rivers, brooks, lakes, ocean waves, and various soothing bird/animal noises. I slept great, and I never heard another guest! Of course, that can also be attributed to the exceptionally plush and comfortable bedding, the perfect temperature of the rooms, or the nice cup of hot tea that I had. Breakfast was wonderful, with fantastic conversation among guests who were very diverse -- people from 3 different countries stayed one night. The innkeeper and her staff were friendly and helpful, giving me tips on quaint places to go and how to get there. Downtown, just 5 minutes away, has a great variety of truly wonderful restaurants and shops. Towels were clean, shower water hot, and beautifully scented bath soaps, lotions, and shampoos were provided. Microwave, laundry, and kitchen (generally off-limits in B&Bs) were available to guests and had clear instructions on them. There are great outdoor seating areas, and while there is some noise from cars on Main Street, it is soon forgotten as one watches ground squirrels, squirrels, rabbits and birds play among the many beautiful trees. I received much-needed rest and rejuvenation, and if I'm every out this way again, I will certainly stay at Amherst Inn.

Room Tip: If you like quiet, ask for a room at the back of the house, away from the road. Rooms begin at arou...
1 Thank Katherine S
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

My daughter and I stayed for two nights in the Emily room which is right across from Dickinson's house. The Inn is a lovely mix of the historic along with modern amenities like a private bathroom and air conditioning. The breakfast was good with a variety of healthy choices. We also found the inn keepers to be helpful and friendly. The location was excellent because in addition to the Dickinson houses, it is only two blocks from the restaurants and shops in town. All-in-all Amherst Inn would be a good choice for visiting the colleges or museums in the area.

• Stayed July 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

My husband and I visited the Amherst Inn for a short weekend trip. Upon arrival a young girl welcomed us to the Inn and seemed genuinely happy thay we had arrived. She could tell we were exhausted from the heat and poured us two glasses of water. This I was impressed by!

She showed us to our room, brought our bags up from the car and left us be.

The room was large but had a claustrophobic bathroom. The beds were comfy, soft and easy to sleep in.

Poor/Weird:
For breakfast, the same girl seemed flustered but still polite. We asked her if she had decaf and responded "Not yet but I'll brew some right away" At this time it was 7:30 and we understood that food did not come out til 8am. Other guests had been eating who apparently made earlier accomodations, but AGAIN, we were just trying to mingle. To our surprise, the Innkeeper practically yelled us and asked why we were trying to eat early. When we told her we were just down to mingle she seemed irritated. At that point we felt uncomfortable and just left and waited til 8.

The breakfast WAS tasty and prompt, but I found it rude to be shooed away infront of another guest, especially since we weren't looking for special treatment.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JaneFigley
pandaann, Owner at Amherst Inn, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, as we strive to make every guest's experience comfortable and welcoming. In keeping with our standard of hospitality , the innkeeper wanted to inform your party (as well as other guests in the room at the time) that breakfast started at eight in order to ensure that you would not feel neglected waiting a half hour for food service., and that you had the opportunity to request early service if it was necessary. We are sorry for the miscommunication that occurred, and for making you feel that you were singled out, as this was absolutely not the intention. Thank you for your review , and we hope that the positive aspects of your stay with us will encourage you to visit again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Hotel UMass
Howard Johnson Express Inn - Amherst Hadley
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 7 in Hadley

Been to Amherst Inn? Share your experiences!