“Charming and Friendly”
Review of Amherst Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amherst
Amherst Inn
Ranked #3 of 12 Amherst B&B and Inns
Milford, Connecticut, United States
“Charming and Friendly”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Lovely, comfortable room. Spotlessly clean. Very friendly and helpful innkeeper and staff. Delicious breakfast too. An easy walk to the Amherst campus. It was a pleasure to have the friendly feeling of an inn with modern amenities like a private bath, air conditioning and free wifi. I will definitely stay here again. Although I traveled on business, this would be a lovely place for couples and families too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Norfolk
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I loved my stay at the Amherst Inn. I actually booked a few days before a seminar, and found out the day before that there really was nothing I could do for sightseeing without a car (except the Emily Dickinson Homestead right across the street). However, having booked a flight and the B&B, I went anyway. Upon arrival, Anne, the owner, came right over from her other inn to check me in. Check in was simple and fast, much appreciated since I had been traveling since 3 a.m. I was shown everything in the house before she left, and I was invited to "look around" -- which I did since no other guests had yet arrived. I unpacked, rested, and went on a short walk downtown, where I found many wonderful things. I also found, on my return, that I had missed the brochure rack -- stuffed full with bus schedules and things to do. I prepared a cup of tea (strangely, it seemed no one was around, but there was always fresh hot water in the thermal urns) in the dining room and curled up with my book before turning in early. I shortly realized that, being on the ground floor, there is a little noise as guests enter/leave in the evening and when breakfast begins in the morning, but I also found this really great "noise" generating machine that plays rain, rivers, brooks, lakes, ocean waves, and various soothing bird/animal noises. I slept great, and I never heard another guest! Of course, that can also be attributed to the exceptionally plush and comfortable bedding, the perfect temperature of the rooms, or the nice cup of hot tea that I had. Breakfast was wonderful, with fantastic conversation among guests who were very diverse -- people from 3 different countries stayed one night. The innkeeper and her staff were friendly and helpful, giving me tips on quaint places to go and how to get there. Downtown, just 5 minutes away, has a great variety of truly wonderful restaurants and shops. Towels were clean, shower water hot, and beautifully scented bath soaps, lotions, and shampoos were provided. Microwave, laundry, and kitchen (generally off-limits in B&Bs) were available to guests and had clear instructions on them. There are great outdoor seating areas, and while there is some noise from cars on Main Street, it is soon forgotten as one watches ground squirrels, squirrels, rabbits and birds play among the many beautiful trees. I received much-needed rest and rejuvenation, and if I'm every out this way again, I will certainly stay at Amherst Inn.

Room Tip: If you like quiet, ask for a room at the back of the house, away from the road. Rooms begin at arou...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Katherine S
Berkeley, California
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My daughter and I stayed for two nights in the Emily room which is right across from Dickinson's house. The Inn is a lovely mix of the historic along with modern amenities like a private bathroom and air conditioning. The breakfast was good with a variety of healthy choices. We also found the inn keepers to be helpful and friendly. The location was excellent because in addition to the Dickinson houses, it is only two blocks from the restaurants and shops in town. All-in-all Amherst Inn would be a good choice for visiting the colleges or museums in the area.

• Stayed July 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 16, 2012

My husband and I visited the Amherst Inn for a short weekend trip. Upon arrival a young girl welcomed us to the Inn and seemed genuinely happy thay we had arrived. She could tell we were exhausted from the heat and poured us two glasses of water. This I was impressed by!

She showed us to our room, brought our bags up from the car and left us be.

The room was large but had a claustrophobic bathroom. The beds were comfy, soft and easy to sleep in.

Poor/Weird:
For breakfast, the same girl seemed flustered but still polite. We asked her if she had decaf and responded "Not yet but I'll brew some right away" At this time it was 7:30 and we understood that food did not come out til 8am. Other guests had been eating who apparently made earlier accomodations, but AGAIN, we were just trying to mingle. To our surprise, the Innkeeper practically yelled us and asked why we were trying to eat early. When we told her we were just down to mingle she seemed irritated. At that point we felt uncomfortable and just left and waited til 8.

The breakfast WAS tasty and prompt, but I found it rude to be shooed away infront of another guest, especially since we weren't looking for special treatment.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JaneFigley
pandaann, Owner at Amherst Inn, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, as we strive to make every guest's experience comfortable and welcoming. In keeping with our standard of hospitality , the innkeeper wanted to inform your party (as well as other guests in the room at the time) that breakfast started at eight in order to ensure that you would not feel neglected waiting a half hour for food service., and that you had the opportunity to request early service if it was necessary. We are sorry for the miscommunication that occurred, and for making you feel that you were singled out, as this was absolutely not the intention. Thank you for your review , and we hope that the positive aspects of your stay with us will encourage you to visit again.
Massachusetts
Reviewed July 11, 2012

My fiance and I stayed in the Ivy Room at the beginning of May this year and we had a wonderful time. The rooms were exquisitely decorated and while the bathroom was a tad small, the shower was roomy and besides, it is a small price to pay for staying in a period home such as this. Despite being located right down the street from the heart of Amherst, it was surprisingly peaceful and quiet. Everything is pretty much within walking distance so the location is very convenient for both newcomers and frequent visitors.
Anne did a wonderful job giving us a tour and making sure we were settled in. She made us feel very comfortable without being overbearing. The next morning, we enjoyed a wonderful breakfast (the challah French toast was to die for!) in the dining room while enjoying a conversation with Anne and some fellow patrons of the inn. All in all, a great time was had and a return visit is definitely in the future (the Persian Room looks quite tempting).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank meduza1350
Calabasas, California
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Alan & Anne are the owners/innkeepers of the Amherst Inn. Anne took & confirmed our reservation for the Cyrus Room at the Amherst Inn. She initially requested a check prior to our arrival. However, she agreed to accept cash the day of our arrival and asked us to call again to reconfirm our reservation, which we did several times. The surprise came at our stop in Detroit, to change planes. We were about two hours from our destination, and were shocked to have picked up a voice mail from Anne telling us if we didn’t reconfirm our reservation immediately, that it would be canceled. We returned her call from the airport, and were told matter-of-factly, but adamantly, that our room, or any room at the Amherst in would not be available. Obviously it was too late for us to do anything about it. Having read reviews on Trip Advisor, I continued to remind Anne that we’d be flying in from California and arriving in the evening. Our last call was only a few days prior to our date of arrival. Apparently, her word was not kept.

We suggest you opt to mail a check ahead of time, because they don't take credit cards and obviously don't honor a reservation without payment ahead of time. On the other hand, perhaps you can deal with Alan, the other innkeeper. Be advised!

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PhotoGalFromCal
MA
Reviewed July 2, 2012

First the good points - the room was lovely, and the bed was extremely comfortable (if you like soft beds, which I do). Even though it was in the front, we could not hear passing cars. And it is air conditioned, so we didn't have to open the windows. Negatives: we paid $200 for an average room, which usually goes for about $120 in other places; the bathroom could only be used by people who were of average size (obese people would not fit in this bathroom, it was THAT small); breakfast was quite run of the mill; coffee was watery and tasteless; host was not even there at breakfast, having hired a couple of young women to do the work. At these prices one should at least get really good coffee and a thoughtful, interesting breakfast. What we got was eggs, sausages and cardboardy pancakes, in buffet heated serving dishes, plus yogurt and fruit salad. There was also a toaster and some ordinary bread, with those awful half ounce packages of jam that you get in diners. Really, is this the best they could do at that price?

Room Tip: If you are large, ask for a room with an adequate size bath.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank jah1954
, Owner at Amherst Inn, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
This is in response to the above review. We are happy that you enjoyed your room. You were charged $200 for 2 connecting rooms in front of our house which includes 2 queen size beds, one twin bed , one large private bathroom down the hall and one small bathroom inside the room.

My father is very sick and my mother needs help from time to time. So it is true , I am not always around at breakfast. The young college students that I hire are well trained and competent.

As far as breakfast goes , most of our guests rave about it. We have gone out of our way to serve hot and cold entrees. We have incorporated pancakes, egg dishes, French toast, waffles, sausages, ham, cheeses, breads, cereals, fresh fruits, Greek yogurts, multiple juices and coffee cakes.

Our coffee is the 8 O'clock brand, rated by Consumer Report as best. Our toasting bread is 12 grain and whole wheat.

A long time ago we served local homemade preserves. I witnessed several guests stick their spoon into the jam, then their mouth, back into the jam. For the health and welfare of our guests we now use individual serve jams and jellies.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Hotel UMass
#4 of 7 in Hadley
Econo Lodge Hadley
Econo Lodge Hadley
#5 of 7 in Hadley

Been to Amherst Inn? Share your experiences!