“Excellent”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Great experience. Only had to wait for fifteen minutes and was immediately served bread and drinks after we got our table. Food and service were excellent.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Our son attends UMass and this place came highly recommended by some of his schoolmates. It's three floors of Italian dining, which is kind of cool--when you look at it from the outside you can't believe that narrow storefront could pack so many in. But they do! Here are my thoughts about the place.

What I liked:
1. The staff. Genuinely nice and helpful.
2. The prices. Their target demographic is obviously impoverished college students--the price points are very low. Their most expensive bottle of wine is $55--my extremely large dinner was $13.
3. They have a fun mix and match-style menu where you can choose both your sauce and your pasta, and they have something for everyone with a variety of cream-based and tomato-based options. They also offer pizza and subs.

Other observations:
1. As far as I could tell, there's no handicap access. I don't usually pay attention to that, but all the steep stairs caught my eye. If you're not in a chair but have trouble with stairs the first floor would be your best bet.
2. The food was mostly pretty good with the exception of the focaccia which was lowest common denominator. Also the focaccia croutons on the caesar salad were (oddly) just cubed fresh focaccia. The fried seafood in the seafood sampler app was on the soggy, greasy side. These are minor, picky points.

All in all, not bad. Pasta is not my thing so if it were up to me I'd dine elsewhere in the future but if you enjoy casual Italian you probably won't be disappointed.

Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Very acceptable. I would go back again. The food was good and plentiful. Everyone in my party enjoyed their food.

1  Thank Alween
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I've been here numerous times and never had a bad meal. The service is pretty quick and the food is delicious. Great little place to hit up if you are in the Amhest area!

Reviewed November 11, 2012

My wife and I were visiting our daughter at Umass Amherst and we were all craving pasta. A friend recommended Carmelina's but they weren't open til 5pm and we were hungry at 1pm. My daughter suggested Pasta E Basta. Everything was excellent. The atmosphere and menu variety were fantastic.Marco our server was quite attentive. I had the Chicken Broccoli Alfredo with Penne along with a house salad plus an appetizer of an Arancini-a rice ball with melted cheese in the middle, yummie! Yes I was hungry and stuffed but it was worth it. My wife and duaghter each enjoyed their meals, Frutti De Marre in marinara sauce and Shrimp and broccoli and pasta, scrumptous. We highly recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank stayrelaxed2