“If you want good Mexican food, don't bother with Amherst/Northampton”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
La Veracruzana Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #36 of 116 Restaurants in Amherst
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I've eaten here a number of times, but only because friends wanted to. I do like that there's one place in Amherst and Noho where we can get horchata (rice drink with cinnamon) and pupusas (Salvadoran corn masa "dumplings" with cheese filling). The fried platanos are good, too, but everything else I've had there is just average. Eating here makes me long for the Southwest, where you can find good New Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisine!

Reviewed May 1, 2012

excellent menu, lots of choices for everyone in the family... simple yet elegant! the self serve salsa bar is a highlight too!!! flavors for all taste buds ;) I've gone here for years and never have been disappointed... maybe when I've eaten too much... hours later!

Reviewed February 21, 2012

Love Vercruzana, but much prefer the Northampton location.

Thank MarthaL.
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Should have left the moment we (wife, daughter, daughter's boyfriend) walked in. Very small place. Unbussed tables, disorganized feel. Paid over $40 for four meals, 2 beers and water. Watched a bunch of people who ordered after us get their food. Had to go up and ask for the beers. Had to go up and ask for the food. They passed my wife's burrito around to two tables. Sloppy looking cashier/manager was going to serve it to her after it had been handled all over the restaurant and it had been sitting out five minutes. I told the cook to make another one. Food mediocre. Guacamole overpowered by lemon juice. It was all you taste. I don't know how this place stays in business. Never again.

Reviewed October 3, 2011

I've been to La Veracruzana quite a number of times, and it is always tasty, freshly-prepared food. The menu is large, and can be a little confusing, but try busting out of your usual burrito-taco rut and try something different -- you won't be disappointed. They also cater, and do a very nice job for a casual party.