“Laid-back atmosphere, large portions”
Review of Judie's

Judie's
Ranked #4 of 115 Restaurants in Amherst
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Judie's is famous for their popovers, which are really just a delivery vehicle for a mind-boggling variety of options. You want an entire Thanksgiving dinner of turkey, vegetables, potatoes, cranberry sauce and gravy all inside a popover the size of your head? No problem, Judie's has it. The food was inconsistent - salmon was perfectly cooked, sweet potato wedges were mealy, croissants were bread-y rather than flaky, onion soup was tasty, raspberry pie with 3 (!) scoops of dense vanilla ice cream as well as lightly sweet whipped cream was phenomenal. Not to be missed if you are a cider fan: Original Sin hard apple cider on tap, very lightly sparkling and not too sweet. The atmosphere is casual, relaxed, quirky, and colorful, with for-sale local art in the restrooms. Which is either endearing or deeply odd, depending on how you feel about shopping for art in restrooms.

1  Thank freedomandchocolate

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I have always wanted to go to Judie's. I know people who say it is a nice place. Well, I went there with my family and In-Laws. When we arrived we were seated promptly and with a nice smile. We were presented our menus and waitress went along and we picked our meals. We waited and waited for our waitress. It was 20 to 25 minutes to get order in. I check my watch when we entered the bulding, it was 7:45pm when the waitress came for our order it was 8:15. She asked if would like some drinks and what we would like for food? Wait a minute we waited this long without drinks and service and now we have to order our food. Complied with waitress gave our order. Ten minutes later she comes back says no clam chowder 2 in my party ordered this so they got a different soup, then she came back to tell father in law no soup for you, he declined a replacement soup. While eating our salad the meal came out, everyone was scrambling to move salads and soups so she could place meals. I ordered the sirloin steak popover, the steak was tough and not sirloin, it was veiny an it was top round steak not sirloin. Told waitress and she was somewhat accommodating. She asked if I would like another meal but I declined because it was after 9:00pm and didn't want the others wait for my meal. They took the my meal of the bill. Not an all around experience. The others in the party reported the meal was okay and mostl likly would not return. Very disappointed in Judie's

2  Thank MARK J
Reviewed September 5, 2013

The memorable item? Popovers with that delicious apple sauce. Food is nice and service is great. It might be very difficult to get a table for a large party within days.

1  Thank S C
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This restaraunt consistently makes exciting dishes that will satisfy all types of tastes! I think it comes down to using FRESH ingredients and not being afraid to "mix-up" the menu! they have great salads (I love their Beet Salad), turnovers, soups, pasta dishes, and so much more.

All I can say is I travel 90% of time and eat out for most meals. If I had to pick just one restaraunt to eat at for rest of my life... well this might be the one!

I think much of success of restaraunt comes from Judy (the owner.) If you ever meet her, you'll soon see that she does not accept mediocrity. That's the type of place you want to eat at!!

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Some of the entrees had complicated mixes of flavors - but food and service excellent - 3rd trip here after daughter decided to attend UMASS - will be a regular place on my visits! Met the owner this time - Judie was GREAT!!!