“Great bar scene”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I have visited both the upper and lower bars a few times and they're both great. The bars have a warm feel with interesting and eclectic art work. The bar tenders are very nice and the drinks are good and decently priced. I love to go and grab a drink and play pool (upstairs) but the upper bar can get really busy on the weekends.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

If you like a great burger with fresh ingredients and creative preparation consider the High Horse. Also had their version of tater tots with the dipping sauce and it was very good. Tried two beers and wasn't wild about the the flavors (especially for a brew pub). Service was slow all night.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

It's tricky to review a restaurant based on one visit but based on my experience, I'd advise patrons to saddle up and head elsewhere. The problem wasn't the food, although it was merely adequate at brunch, but the kitchen. We were a party of nine with early reservations and were among the first to arrive. We ordered perhaps ten minutes in. One hour later (and no, this isn't a typo), our food arrived. I've worked in food service and eggs don't take that long--except, apparently, at The High Horse. To make matters worse, there was nothing on the table except water and coffee. With a couple of people at our table who had to take medicine with food, it shouldn't have been like busting a bronco to get toast...but it was. I assume the waitress wasn't to blame but if the kitchen staff is too overwhelmed to handle nine people (and I did notice smaller parties arriving later who were served first), then the restaurant shouldn't' book the party. Bottom line: I've had the same level of food and far better service at any number of coffee shops across the country, so I'm saying "neigh" to High Horse.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

I stopped in here to get a drink while exploring Amherst. The bartenders were inattentive and the drink I ordered was so gross that I couldn't even finish it. I would NOT recommend stopping by here.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I went to go meet a friend for dinner there after work. Both of us were first timers and thought it would be a great place to relax, and enjoy catching up with each other. Unfortunately, we left disappointed. When we arrived at 7:30pm, there was a 15-20 minute wait, which is fine, it seemed fairly busy at the time. 30 minutes had passed before we were seated, which is also not terrible, and completely understandable. However they seat as at the same style of seats they had in the bar area where already I had sat on a hard barstool without any back support for 30 minutes so I asked the host if we could have a booth that had just opened up and explaining I had been on my feet all day and needed to rest my back. He was kind of us to say yes or so I thought... Sadly, we overheard him and the waitress bad mouth about my friend and I. Now I understand it is annoying for the customer to change tables, however I had just left work where I was standing for over 10 hours which when I am out with my friend, I wanted to be comfortable for the last few hours of my day. All I can ask is complain about the customers in the back area and not around the tables where the customers can hear.

My friend and I brushed it off because maybe they were having an off night as I'm sure they were tired as well. Then it took another 20-30 minutes before we ordered. We were never asked if we wanted our another round of what was actually an enjoyable beer. The food we ordered arrived in a decent timely fashion. My salad was tasteless but my friend was enjoying her dish very much and she enjoyed the nachos, unfortunately not my type of nachos.

Overall very disappointed in the way we were treated, the food was not enjoyable and especially for the price. However, I did enjoy the beer they had. Never going back and never sending anyone there.

1  Thank ilovetravelandfood87