“Good, and a bit pricey”

High Horse
Ranked #32 of 116 Restaurants in Amherst
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New York City, New York
“Good, and a bit pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

This used to be another food/bar- it doesn't look much different. Nice outside place to eat-- but it seems the staff goes out there to smoke as well, which I did not like. The poutine was really good. The fish and chips and veggie bean burger too. The sauces are all homemade and the presentation is nice. I think this is a solidly OK place to eat in Amherst-- but not amazing. The beer selection seemed very good as well- we had a sampler. Good for families if you go on the early side. Good service.

• Visited August 2012

Portland, Maine
“Brief visit left us wanting more”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

Normally I try to reserve my reviews to restaurants where I had more than fries and beer, but the beer and fries were just so good that I want to sing the praises of the High Horse. We stopped in during an afternoon and wound up eating the best sweet-potato fries that I've ever had. I don't know how they managed to make them seem so light, but they were excellent. The dipping sauce with bacon didn't hurt either. I thought that my Minx Saison was top notch, as was the IPA (whose name escapes me now). The woman tending bar was also very friendly. Our visit was brief, but it was just enough to make me look forward to exploring more of the menu at the High Horse.

• Visited August 2012
“Great for drinks and snacks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

I love the High Horse but I don't generally go there for meals. I like to sit at the bar for cocktails and their amazing poutine (French fries with cheese curds and gravy). The home made tater tots and other bar food/appetizers are also fantastic. The bartenders are really skilled and make some super classy (yet not super expensive) drinks. I'm not a huge beer drinker but I love their Satisfaction IPA. It's very hoppy.

1 Thank BelchertownMenace
Hoddesdon, United Kingdom
“There are better places to eat!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

We may have had a bad experience but the food here was not great. The emphasis is on beer and although the staff tried to make things right, we were disappointed.

Visited May 2012