“"Yuk! Hair in the blankets!"”

University Lodge in Amherst
University Lodge in Amherst
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Amherst
Reviewed February 28, 2014

The sheets were clean, but the blanket (below the comforter) had dark hair ALL OVER IT. I called the front desk and they agreed to move me. When I went there to exchange keys, the front desk person let me know that "our house keeper DOES have dark hair." I thought "great." The second room ALSO had hair all over the blanket. So disgusting. They offered to move me to another hotel and I was happy to move. They called and got me another room at the same rate. I asked for them to cover my taxi fare (almost $20) and the front desk person couldn't get the manager on the phone to authorize it, so they let me pay for it myself. I'll never stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank NQCarryOn
There are newer reviews for University Lodge in Amherst

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stated here 30 years ago, and nothing has changed except the price is 100% higher. While the people are extremely nice that work there, the time for this lodge has long passed. It should be demolished and replaced with a modern, clean, newly furnished and upgraded infrastructure.
This should be a mainstay for umass alumni and guests.
In its current state, I have a hard time believing anyone stays there twice. The room was musty, old beds, old bedding, old carpet, old outdated furniture, clogged bathroom sink, AC was like a windstorm, Wifi was intermittent....glad we did not stay in the room long..

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 60745Mark141
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I booked here because of the price and thought, how bad can it be? Next time I'd spend a little more and get a nicer room someplace else. University Lodge's redeeming qualities were its lack of bedbugs and location. The furniture was worn and gross, the AC unit was uncontrollable, the bathroom smelled and the allotment of pillows, etc. were stingy. The mini fridge in the room was soaking the carpet in what we assume was water. We made up for the room by spending as little time as possible there and vowing to never return.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank AMH3010
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Our family stayed here while visiting UMass Amherst. The check in receptionist was so polite, helpful, and informative. The room was clean. We were in walking distance to UMass, and Bertucci's, which was great. There were frat houses and off campus housing all around us but the neighborhood was safe and quiet, all things considered. Fridge was convenient, and we had no problems here. If you're looking for a cozy over-nighter while in Amherst and don't need frills, I would recommend University Lodge.

Room Tip: Upper level behind main reception offers short walk to convenience store and Bertucci's.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Laurie D
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Most of the hotels in The area would require a car to be able to get into Amherst center but not this one, you can walk into and out of town with easy. It is also very clean, reasonable, and friendly.

Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Clean rooms and a great price. Susan at the front-desk mentioned all the rooms will be getting an upgrade to full screen TV. The Wifi signal wasn't that strong, but usable for email (no video streaming). Clean and friendly staff.
No breakfast, but plenty of options downtown.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Paul M
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed there when we attended Family Weekend at UMass. Proximity to the University is the only positive thing about it. Because it was family weekend, we ended up paying $170 after taxes and fees! It is not clean, musty smell, stained furniture, etc. I don't think the rooms have been updated since the 70's. Would not recommend it!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank momumass
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Hotel UMass
#4 of 7 in Hadley
Econo Lodge Hadley
Econo Lodge Hadley
#6 of 7 in Hadley

Been to University Lodge in Amherst? Share your experiences!