“far from perfect, but great for the price”

University Lodge in Amherst
University Lodge in Amherst
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Amherst
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My son and I stayed here for one night while looking at Amherst. While my wife might have not approved of the place, for my son and I it was fine. Yes, it's antiquated (felt like a '60s motel... which is pretty much what it is) and it thus needs a lot of updating. But other than a somewhat noisy air condiitoning unit, it was quiet (despite reviews to the contrary) and well located. You can walk to dinner and breakfast in town. And the price just can't be beat.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank gbsand81

Reviewed July 26, 2011

Do yourself a favor and don't stay here. I was only here one night but actually considered sleeping in the car. The room was not clean and I was worried about walking barefoot on the carpet. Someone above us was pacing back and forth until 2 a.m. and we could hear every creaky footstep. The TV was quite a joke. It was teeny-tiny and everything was orange/pink. It was pretty hard to look at. We ended up going to Starbuck's down the street and staying until they closed just so we didn't have to spend any more time in the room than we had to.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2011

We arrived late at night, which means checkin at HoJo on the way - which was gracious and helpful, giving clear directions to the University Lodge. Our room was small but had everything we needed: 2 comfortable queen beds, bedside lamps, 2 easy chairs, desk, dresser, clothing rod & plenty of hangers. TV, free wifi (no problem signing on), alarm clock, even a small refrigerator & microwave, single-cup coffeemaker, ironing board with iron. Clean bath, towels, mini shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soap, pen & notepad. The next night we had the opportunity to compare it to a similar room at a much larger, more expensive hotel in Worcester and realized there were actually MORE furnishings and amenities at University Lodge! ($$$ hotel had only one chair, no conditioner or lotion, no fridge, no microwave - and no bottle opener on the bathroom doorframe.) It was perfect for our college visit.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank heartpeace
Reviewed October 20, 2010

It is a great place to visit Umass, Amherst College, and Amherst downtown, all within a few minutes of walking distance. Free parking (although I was told it is not allowed to park after noon after you checked out). Free internet, although I had problems in surfing the internet and finally gave up. No breakfast but coffee is provided. The room is conveniently equipped with fridge and microwave, and heating of course. Overall, I think the location is even better than the Campus Center, and the price is less expensive. By the way, I was going back to Umass having my proposal defense and I traveled with my family.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Reservation was lost but they did provide us with an extra night's stay at a partner hotel. A bit of a hassle to have to switch hotels but nice to receive compensation for their mistake.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2010

I recently stayed at the University Lodge while visiting Amherst. I arrived late after a long drive and had to check in at the nearby Howard Johnson's. This was inconvenient, but I had read about it prior to booking.

The hotel staff is friendly to a fault - they kept cracking jokes, but I just wanted to get to bed! They were very accommodating during my stay.

The room itself was a bit dingy. There were stains on the walls and floor. It did seem thoroughly cleaned, however. I was worried about bugs since I got a room on the ground floor, but only saw a single spider near the window while I was there.

Certainly not the most luxurious hotel I've stayed in. I wouldn't want to stay here for a whole week, but for a night or two visit to Amherst you can't beat the price.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 18, 2009

My daughter and I stayed one night while visiting colleges. This motel is situated on a wooded hillside (the sign is partially obscured and we missed it the first time we drove by). It is not new, but the room we were in was clean and quiet, the beds were comfortable, and all of the towels one might expect were in the bathroom. This was good, because the staff left at 8PM and returned at 8AM. The motel is located within walking distance of downtown Amherst, Amherst College and UMass.
Although lacking in some amenities, The Colonial Inn was value for the money.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Fleagle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Hotel UMass
#3 of 5 in Northampton
Econo Lodge Hadley
Econo Lodge Hadley
#6 of 7 in Hadley

Been to University Lodge in Amherst? Share your experiences!