“Great meal and outstanding service”
Review of Johnny's Tavern

Johnny's Tavern
Ranked #3 of 115 Restaurants in Amherst
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Johnny’s Tavern, located in the town of Amherst, Massachusetts, home to the University of Mass, Amherst College and Hampshire College and nestled in the heart of the community. Johnny’s Tavern invites you to sample our menu. We pride ourselves with using organic produce, sustainable seafood, hormone-free meat and poultry where ever possible. Our mission is to provide a truly unforgettable dining experience. To have every guest who comes through our door leave impressed by Johnny’s and feel excited to come back again to the warmth of our hospitality. We invite you to plan your next dining occasion with us. Our team will be happy to assist you with the same standards you have come to know through our restaurants: excellent customer service, delicious food, professionalism and hospitality. We look forward to serving you.
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Saw an ad in local paper, and looked up. Used to go there all the time when if was a different place. Hostess was pleasant and we had a choice of seating. Our server was outstanding, with menu knowledge and recommendations. We both chose one of the specials, bluefish for my wife and I had a great pasta dish. Wine and liquor were served and the desert was great. Plan to go back and have another great meal.

There are newer reviews for Johnny's Tavern

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Everything was absolute perfection during a recent visit to Johnny's for a special family dinner. Drinks, dinner, and dessert were all amazing. Service was friendly and efficient even though the place was packed on a busy Saturday night. We didn't make reservations, but our party of four was lucky enough to be seated within minutes before huge waves of customers hit the restaurant. I have been to Johnny's several times in the past. Reservations are a good idea due to many events that are held within the area. It's a popular spot even in the summer time when college crowd is not around.

I started with one of their speciality cocktails, a cilantro lime margarita that was infused with jalapeño. Whoa, this was crazy good. Definitely different, refreshing, and just the slightest heat from the jalapeño, it was served in a cocktail glass loaded with ice and rimmed with salt. This is easily one of my favorite cocktails ever. I had two on the night we visited. The drink menu is substantial and there is something for everyone. Lots of local brew options are included and a huge wine list.

I ordered the cod special for my entree. It was perfectly pan-seared, delicate in texture, and mild in flavor. It came on a bed of sweet potato quinoa with sautéed local spinach. So good, I easily ate every single bite. Lots of innovative offerings are found on the menu and Johnny's makes a special effort to incorporate local products into the food they serve.

I managed to glance at the dessert menu after I cleaned my dinner plate and debated over the rum and pear bread pudding or the coconut creme brûlée. I am a sucker for creme brûlée, but ended up getting the bread pudding just to try something unusual for me. This was a big portion of bread pudding spiked with rum and loaded with tender pieces of juicy pear. Caramel sauce was drizzled on the plate along with a nice dollop of fresh whipped cream. It was quite good, but I will probably get the creme brûlée next time. It's just a personal favorite of mine. I paired my dessert with a nice cup of hot, black coffee.

The atmosphere is warm and cozy. People go casual or dressy and everything in between. Johnny's to me is a place to splurge because it can be expensive. We all ordered drinks, two of us had two drinks each. Add four entrees, four desserts, and two coffees and our bill was about $170.00. Parking is located close to the restaurant, but it can sometimes be hard to find a space because this area of Amherst is very popular. If you can't find anything right away, there is additional parking underground in the garage.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Four of us went for a birthday dinner mid week. The hostess was very pleasant and accommodating about the cake I had brought(I had called ahead for their policy). We all had a very good meal. The restaurant had only a few people there at 5:15p when we arrived but soon began to fill up. The waiter brought over the cake when we requested it. We were all surprised that they charged to cut the cake - $1 per cut. We have never encountered this charge before at other restaurants. We were never asked if we wanted more coffee and I personally felt like the waiter wanted us to leave so he could have another group.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Four of us stopped for dinner on a Monday night. No reservation was needed and we found the restaurant about half full. Now this may not be a perfect indication of patrons since this is a college town and the schools were not in session. We were shown to a table and requested a different one and that request was promptly granted. Our server was exceptionally polite and friendly, but never intrusive, just very competent.

We worked of the price-fixed menu. There were two salad choices plus a soup. For the main courses there were six or seven choices and for desert there were three offerings. I asked for the house greens with oregano-vinegar dressing. It was properly Italian-like with a nice oregano dimension. If I had the chance to order it again, I would ask for it on the side. For a main course I ordered chef's choice fish. Mahi-mahi. I found it to be cooked just right, tender and pleasant. There was a rather strong sauce with it and that might have been better on the side. The flavor of the sauce was good, but I would have liked less of it. I asked that a substitute be made for the potatoes, asked for mashed, and that request was promptly granted. There were three desert choices - mouse, a cheesecake and tiramasu. We were a party of four and all three were tried. There were no complaints, but there were no lavish praises either.

There is a variety of offerings on the main menu including salmon, beef, chicken and at least one vegetarian dish.

All on all this is a place I will likely return to to try something on the regular menu.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

We arrived about 10 - 15 minutes early for a 12:00 noon reservation for a booth by the window. PREVIOUSLY, I had made this reservation 2 weeks ago and never gave it a 2nd thought that we were to be denied our booth reservation. Every booth by the window was filled with other diners and the "hostesses" reassured me that one of the booths was finishing up any minute with coffee/dessert. We patiently waited until 12:20 pm TO NO AVAIL and by that time we were FAMISHED & I then asked to be seated at an empty table of 5 by the window & the hostess said it was reserved. We were then seated at a small table in a dark corner right next to the kitchen entrance. Our server said there was a party of 20 in the back room being tended to and we might have to wait for our food to come out. (Backtracking at the time of the reservation I was told there would be quite a variety of food on the menu which was untrue - it was a limited menu). It only took our server 10 minutes to bring out calamari appetizers which were delicious as usual. Our server was great but I won't be going back anytime soon. Oh yeah, the 2 "reserved" tables of 5 by the window were still unoccupied by the time we left.