“happy surpise”

Johnny's Tavern
Ranked #1 of 114 Restaurants in Amherst
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Johnny’s Tavern, located in the town of Amherst, Massachusetts, home to the University of Mass, Amherst College and Hampshire College and nestled in the heart of the community. Johnny’s Tavern invites you to sample our menu. We pride ourselves with using organic produce, sustainable seafood, hormone-free meat and poultry where ever possible. Our mission is to provide a truly unforgettable dining experience. To have every guest who comes through our door leave impressed by Johnny’s and feel excited to come back again to the warmth of our hospitality. We invite you to plan your next dining occasion with us. Our team will be happy to assist you with the same standards you have come to know through our restaurants: excellent customer service, delicious food, professionalism and hospitality. We look forward to serving you.
montague
“happy surpise”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

More than the average Amherst fare...great appetizers and salads, diverse selection of entrees, fresh ingredients, trained staff...a cut above the rest, and a sure recipe for success!

Sunderland, Massachusetts
“Nice Place to unwind and relax, friendly staff”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Finally got a chance to go to Johnny's last Tuesday. Tried once before on a weekend and it was just too crowded with a very long wait time. We were greeted and seated promptly. We selected one of the booths in the bar/lounge area. The bartender was actually also doing the waitressing there. She was super friendly and new the menu well. We ordered the salt and pepper style calamari the cilantro lime and aioli soy chili sauce was excellent. I ordered the Grilled Wester Ross Scottish Salmon while my friend ordered the Pan Roasted Cod. All the meals including the appetizers come out very nicely arranged and colorful. Unfortunately for me my Salmon which was a great piece, large portion came under cooked. It was a bit raw in the middle. So I sent it back, I rarely send food back. Feeling a bit shy about sending it back, the waitress agreed it wasn't fully cooked. My friend loved the Pan Roasted Cod. He was finished by the time my food was re-cooked. A brand new freshly cooked meal was prepared and delivered by the manager with his apologies. He advised they have a brand new cook in training and I was given a free dessert (which I took home because I was too full) for the trouble. The salmon this time was done perfectly. I will definitely try the restaurant again. The food was very tasty, staff very nice and things happen. The problem was corrected and all was well. Will come back again. PS. If you do have room for dessert try one - delicious!

1 Thank Weezie01375
Northwest Corner, Connecticut
“A Great Place for Lunch!”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Both my wife and I had sandwiches on a Sunday afternoon. The tavern was quiet and not very many there, but the food was really quite good. I [particularly liked the turkey club, which came on rye toast, with substantial slices of fresh turkey--and just a taste of cranberries to go with the usual contents of a club. The combination was a real success! And with it came either french fries or home-made potato chips, which we both opted to order. Without the usual salt that usually comes on chips these were very good indeed.

The service was very attentive and pleasant.

All in all, we were very happy to have happened on Johnny's Tavern.

Amherst, Massachusetts
“Very enjoyable food, not the service”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The food is rather enjoyable and the prices are moderate.

However, although the restaurant is supposed to be open till 10:00 p.m. (Monday-Thursday) - it's more like 9:15 p.m. or so.

At about that time the stuff is more interested in cleaning the premises, moving chairs
around, bussing tables and so on.
Doesn't make it the most enjoyable atmosphere to enjoy one's very good food and company due to noise, hustle and dust those activities produce.

The stuff is more interested in leaving the premises at 10:00 p.m. on the nose,than serving the remaining guests and letting them enjoy their meal.

My advice is - do not bother going there AFTER 9:00 p.m.

• Visited July 2013
Stockton, New Jersey
“A pleasant place with an interesting and varied menu”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Six of us (including two young children...one 7 and one 3) had dinner here on a Thurday night in July. There was plenty to chose from on the menu and the prices were reasonable. The staff was very accomodating in customizing a dish for the 7 year old. We all wound up choosing lighter fare, rather than full dinners. Two of our party had fish and chips and both felt that the fish was a bit overcooked and that the coating was a bit heavy. Two of us had what the menu described as a Korean Taco. While the dish was quite pleasant it did not come across as a taco or even as particularly Korean. The ambience was pleasant and tavern like and even though the place was quite busy, it wasn't overly noisy and we didn't feel crowded. We found Johnny's Tavern to be pleasant and reasonably priced, but generally average.

Visited July 2013