“Good but no as before”

Johnny's Tavern
Ranked #1 of 115 Restaurants in Amherst
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Johnny’s Tavern, located in the town of Amherst, Massachusetts, home to the University of Mass, Amherst College and Hampshire College and nestled in the heart of the community. Johnny’s Tavern invites you to sample our menu. We pride ourselves with using organic produce, sustainable seafood, hormone-free meat and poultry where ever possible. Our mission is to provide a truly unforgettable dining experience. To have every guest who comes through our door leave impressed by Johnny’s and feel excited to come back again to the warmth of our hospitality. We invite you to plan your next dining occasion with us. Our team will be happy to assist you with the same standards you have come to know through our restaurants: excellent customer service, delicious food, professionalism and hospitality. We look forward to serving you.
Greenfield, Massachusetts
“Good but no as before”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Love at first sight last Fall. Just a burger, but the perfect (huge) burger where you learn the quality of beef matters. Everything else, from salad to coffee, said "this is a kitchen that never takes shortcuts or scrimps on ingredients". Still great in january. In the Spring, calamari was pieces of fried breading with bits of squid inside, but we all make mistakes. But last week, the broiled fish was a mound of very nice potatoes crowned with a scrap of codfish. The service, formerly perfectly attentive, as tone-deaf, frequent visits of jolliness followed by long absence. Maybe a new management, since the previous one actually wanted to know "how is your dish?" (never - gag - how was everything?). The nice ambiance created by the clever separation of bar and dining areas was degraded by the trendy but intrusive elevator music. Like John K, I'm hoping they get back on the path of righteousness.

• Visited July 2012

amherst
“good location but”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Fine location easy to park. We waited a few months so they could settle in and work out the kinks. Warm welcome. But soon things went South. the waiter brought a flavored dipping sauce that was good but the" squishy bond" type bread a letdown. Its a surprise since Amherst has some many fine bakeries. We asked about a white wine on the wine list that gave no clue in its name as to how dry it was. The waiter said " I don't know never tried it'. The mussels were Ok .The pork sliders underwhelming and the crab cakes were canned, over salted and undercooked. Might try again after a while if the reviews pick up

• Visited July 2012
Norfolk
“Gnocchi to knock your socks off!”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I'm a teacher on a budget, heading for a seminar at Amherst College. I read about Johnny's Tavern in a review, and I have to go there. They are supposed to have this fantastic chef. Love Fish 'n Chips made with real North Atlantic Cod. Love crab cakes. Both got great reviews, but I was still undecided when I got there. Gnocchi. I've had a lot of mediocre gnocchi, but bacon? asparagus? parmesan? lemon-garlic-cream sauce? Bring it on. A nice glass of Pinot Grigio ... bread with garlic and dried tomato dipping sauce ... great atmosphere ... a place to relax and read. Then comes the main course. One bite. Sigh. Taste. Closed eyes .... mmmmm. Okay -- I'm back ... delicate pillows of gnocchi, tender little bites of asparagus, crispy bacon, and oh, that sauce. Apparently, this is what gnocchi is supposed to be, and this chef has it down. I'll never be able to eat the mediocre or packaged stuff again! Finished the meal with fantastic blood-orange sorbet with select red berries that must be harvested, upon order, from some nearby forest! It was really that good -- so good that I wanted to announce it to everyone on the street, and I promptly called my husband to give him a play-by-play of the experience. Two words: EAT HERE!!!

Visited July 2012
Amherst, Massachusetts, United States
“Inconsistant”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

The first time at Johnny's Tavern in Amherst was a pleasant surprise, atmosphere, service, and food were an improvement over the South Hadley location. Have been there several times and each time one of our 2 meals were a disappointment. The last visit the fish tacos were fried fish, lettuce and taco - that's it. The table rocked enough to spill drinks - Being a supporter of local restaurants and businesses I hope they make a correction.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank John K
massachusetts
“Nice dining option in Amherst!”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We tried out Johnny's Sunday night. Nice renovation of long time restaurant space. Great seating options, Bob the bartender was very attentive. Jim had the pork lasagne, I had the tortillia chicken salad. Both were very good for the price. The lasagne was huge for $15, If I had ordered it I would have had leftovers for 2 days! The drink prices were pretty good for premium gins, but beware the wine prices, $12 for a glass of cab is a bit steep.

We'll be back, comfortable bar/restaurant with good food!

• Visited June 2012