“Exceptional Chinese Food!”

Ginger Garden
Ranked #11 of 115 Restaurants in Amherst
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: This about 1 month old restaurant is located on Route 9, (or Russel Street) in front of the Big Y shopping Plaza. Excellent Chinese food)
Amherst, Massachusetts
“Exceptional Chinese Food!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I line up with Michie1291. I've had Chinese food in Hong Kong, Vancouver, Boston, NYC, and this restaurant need not take a back seat. Food is delicious, fresh, and prepared to order. They will make a Cantonese dish spicy should you wish, or tone down a Szechwan dish. Their Szechwan offerings are exceptional and are on a separate menu that the cognoscenti ask for ... so ask for it. My widfe and I have determined to try to work our way through the whole menu. Shouldn't take more than a few years.

The decor is pleasant and the large dining rooms are kept very clean. The wait staff is very friendly and prompt except some evenings when they become quite busy. The reasonable prices for great food make this a place to visit frequently.

2 Thank OmenWesternMA

Greenfield, Massachusetts
“Amazing...Again...Again...Again...”
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

I can't possbily count the number of times that I have had the pleasure to dine at Ginger Garden. I have never, never, never had a meal that I did not thoroughly enjoy. I can easliy attest to the consistently high quality of the food and service there. I have been there for both dinner and lunch and I have been there during the week and on the weekends, but I tend to hit this place every Saturday or Sunday without fail. This is an amazing establishment with an extensive Chinese, Japanese, and Asian fusion menu that gets better and better over time, even though they have always been exceptional.

I love the fact that their menu now includes traditional Chinese cuisine from various regions in China and I love that they are sharing their culture with their guests...most recently the Lion Dance and Chinese New Year. I feel like I am getting an opportunity to learn along with their fabulous food. The staff are great at telling me about each menu item and about suggesting items for me to try. If you have a preference for taste, texture, or spiciness, let the staff know so that they can help you with your selections.

The sushi has always been fresh and delicious, but their new sushi chef has taken this up a notch with his adventurous nature and inventive appetizers and menu items, along with creative specials. Today I tasted an appetizer that wasn't even on the menu...something original, spontaneous, and special from the sushi chef. Two white soup spoons each filled with one yummy bite of diced fresh fish, tomato, and various herbs all on top of a small square of silky soft tofu...very refreshing and fun to eat and one of the best things I have ever eaten at Ginger Garden. I went for one of their specialty rolls today...the passion roll, in honor of Feb being the month with Valentine's in it. This was crazy good...salmon, avocado, two types of tuna. The outside tuna was slightly seared and peppered and tucked underneath it was a thin slice of jalapeno. It was creatively sliced and put together to look like hearts on the plate. There is a lot of extra special attention going into the details here. My roll came with a red dipping sauce that was a perfect compliment to the roll...very complex flavors.

I honestly don't have a favorite menu item here, because I try to taste something new almost everytime and everytime I am there, there is something new to taste. I whole heartedly recommend Ginger Garden for anyone wanting really amazing food and service.

2 Thank Michie1291
Hadley, Massachusetts
“wildly inconsistent”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I've been there several times, and my title summarizes it. A large, reasonably attractive space. Servers are nice, but harried and unavailable when you want them. There is great confusion, perhaps related to language problems. I went in personally to make a reservation for 3, and the young woman apparently accepted it, although she forgot to ask me my name, and I had to volunteer it. When I called the day of the reservation to reconfirm, they didn't have the reservation, and the man I spoke to said they didn't accept reservations for less than 7 people. We did manage to get a table when we arrived, but the muddleheadedness was disconcerting.

A lamb dish was inedibly oversalted. Awful. The "fusion" sushi rolls are pretty good. A beef with broccoli dish was tasteless and gloppy; the beef was both soggy and scrappy -- not good at all. Noodles with peanut sauce -- not bad. If you get lucky, there is decent food to be had here, but I have the feeling that they are trying to bite off way more than they can chew. So to speak.

Phoenix, Arizona
“Ginger Garden!! Wanted Sushi in Amherst, Ma.”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Found a hidden gem, although it is right on the main drag, big building! Walked in and was greeted promptly. Seated at a table, near window. Although we were served water right away, it took some time for waitress to come by. But in the end she was very attentive! Was there for one reason, that was Sushi. Boy did we find it! Great selection, fresh, and well presented. Friendly staff, reasonable in price. I will be back!!

1 Thank hoodoo2003
West Warren, Massachusetts
“Bland tasting food and the servers hover over you...oh and they don't bring change”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We went to this restaurant as it is fairly new and wanted to try it. The food was very bland. The server hovered over us and would constantly try to take our plates away every time we put our forks down. When it came time to pay the bill, the server never asked if we wanted change.

• Visited November 2012