“Nice ambiance and good food”
Review of Lumber Yard - CLOSED

Lumber Yard
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: An elegant bar with hand-crafted cocktails & live jazz music every Thursday night.
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Relatively new to Amherst, it's an intimate restaurant with a very nice ambiance. It has bar seating. Staff are friendly. The food is good. It is on the expensive side. It is similar to Chez Albert although the menu offerings are different.

1  Thank Niah707
There are newer reviews for Lumber Yard

Reviewed April 3, 2012

My husband and I popped in Friday night and sat at one of the adorable counter nooks across from the bar. We shared an unbelievable meal - scallops that were seared perfectly melted in our mouths. The special beets salad was as tasty as it was beautiful. And the salmon and fava dish - out of this world! I am so happy to have the Lumberyard in Amherst - the hippest, most romantic and fun place in town.

2  Thank Taryn_1
Reviewed April 2, 2012

When my husband and I spontaneously decide to head out later on a Friday night our top choice for a relaxed yet elegant dining experience is The Lumber Yard. We love to sit at the bar, catch up and take in the ambience and the crowd. This night we enjoyed the house salad - well sized portion as an appetizer or with something else as a lighter dinner. I love this salad!! Could eat it daily. We had the charcuterie board which was phenomenal. My husband had the meatloaf and mashed potatoes -- a great value -- the perfect portion -- with a wonderful depth of flavors - not your mother's meatloaf! We tasted a few of the red wines before settling on a pinot noir. Great night. Great service. Great fun. We love The Lumber Yard.

1  Thank 3SWA2012
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I gotta agree with Maria G's review -- just don't understand what the fuss is about. The wine list is dull and limited, ditto the liquor offerings. Calamari was cold, tough and greasy. My pork shank was dry and curiously flavorless. I had a bite of my friend's bolognese and and it was underseasoned and greasy. Blech. Won't be back. If you want good bistro in the valley, better off at the Night Kitchen.

4  Thank lhq
Reviewed March 4, 2012

We wondered whether we were in the right spot. Having read all the raves, we were looking forward to a spectacular meal. The ambiance and waitress were as nice as your reviewers claimed. However, we found the food bland.
I had the house salad (good) and a crispy cod special that was presented attractively but was boring. Cod needs something to give it a little oomph; this didn't have it.
My wife of over 50 years opted for chopped chicken liver and mussels (so highly praised by others). The chicken liver was OK - my bubbe's was as good or better. We have eaten mussels all over the world (and frequently at home) and she pronounced hers dull. Maybe the flavoring for the mussels was a bit too subtle for her taste. She passed the sausage to me. It was disappointingly bland.
I should add the couple we were with praised their meals. For interesting food in Amherst, we prefer the Monkey Bar, by far.

4  Thank HiHoAg